news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Keir Starmer is showing strong, decisive leadership. I remember when people claimed he never took a stance, that can’t be said now and I’m really pleased to see Labour putting forward strong policies that will appeal to large portion of the electorate.

In recent months he’s become much more confident and is a Prime Minister in waiting. 

The point of article is starmer is now explicitly fighting labour's recent past leader and a part of the labour movement, much like Corbyn and co had nothing good to say about Blair's record...so it's more factional fighting. Starmer went on Stop The War marches himself as did much of the labour movement...and Nato isn't exactly this wonderful alliance that hasn't fucked up many times. I just don't think Starmer is being honest with himself...but I guess they think they need to go the extra mile with this patriotic gun ho I'd press the button thing to win back voters.

Personally I think that Nato expansion doesn't excuse Russia threatening to invade, I think countries want to join Nato because they think Russia is still a threat to their sovreignty and they don't want to go back to all that...but at same time they need to find a diplomatic way out of this which does mean giving Russia something, as well as keeping up sanction threats....and maybe just maybe the world needs to look beyond these big alliances that were formed after a war a long time ago.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The point of article is starmer is now explicitly fighting labour's recent past leader and a part of the labour movement, much like Corbyn and co had nothing good to say about Blair's record...so it's more factional fighting. Starmer went on Stop The War marches himself as did much of the labour movement...and Nato isn't exactly this wonderful alliance that hasn't fucked up many times. I just don't think Starmer is being honest with himself...but I guess they think they need to go the extra mile with this patriotic gun ho I'd press the button thing to win back voters.

Personally I think that Nato expansion doesn't excuse Russia threatening to invade, I think countries want to join Nato because they think Russia is still a threat to their sovreignty and they don't want to go back to all that...but at same time they need to find a diplomatic way out of this which does mean giving Russia something, as well as keeping up sanction threats....and maybe just maybe the world needs to look beyond these big alliances that were formed after a war a long time ago.

I think it shows Starmer as a good supporter of the leadership that he went on those marches etc. They have probably done their research to worked out that people want those type of policies so instead of battle with the electorate they’ll listen and adapt policies accordingly. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

ominous. If Russia are going to do it it has to be soon before ice/snow starts melting and it all gets too boggy to move tanks etc.

President Xi doesn't want WWIII breaking out during his Olympics so has asked Vlad to kindly wait till the end of the month

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I have no idea either but you’d have thought with a decent prospect of a Labour government, all parts of the left would get behind the Party. 

Unless you’re following their specific idea of Politics you’re basically a Tory in their eyes. 

8 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

If Labour aren't backing the unions why should the unions back the Labour Party? Genuine question.

in terms of what? You mean the coventry council dispute? or in general by shifting labour to the centre? It does feel like the start of something. Labour is pretty cash strapped at moment, if it's going to lose money from union affiliation as well as reduced membership where is it going to get it's money from, rich donors like the tories?

I get why starmer might want to appeal to centre ground voters and those that voted tory last time, but they're in danger of losing large numbers of voters on the left...there will many who just won't vote or will vote green or someone. You can see on social media (and on here) how much loathing there is for Starmer on the left...I know twitter isn't everyone, but it is someone.

And an election campaign in a year or two with labour infighting plus a lack of funds is not going to help either.

36 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I have no idea either but you’d have thought with a decent prospect of a Labour government, all parts of the left would get behind the Party. 

the left loves a bit of factionalism, always has.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

he probably doesn't know what the fuck to do. Stay loyal to Johnson, or distance himself from him as much as possible. Johnson is still very popular amongst tory membership (as is Truss), but not with the public.

That’s is true but a better politician would know how to handle these types of things and not buckle instantly.