news & politics:discussion

zahidf

38 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Zzzzz.....

You might find pensions boring but good luck without one. It’s that sort of attitude which means too many of the current working generation will be destitute in retirement.

Make the right decisions in your 20s and you can set yourself up very well. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

You might find pensions boring but good luck without one. It’s that sort of attitude which means too many of the current working generation will be destitute in retirement.

Make the right decisions in your 20s and you can set yourself up very well. 

True I guess, and I will be either living on the street or, if it's still going, in my van surviving on scraps if I ever retire.

Serves me right for not even thinking about it.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yup, you have choices...  Make bad ones and you will have bad outcomes

Wasn't really a choice as the thought never even entered my head.

Too busy having fun.

23 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Wasn't really a choice as the thought never even entered my head.

Too busy having fun.

You can have fun while putting away an extra hundred off quid a month for 50 years and turn that into hundreds of thousands / a million through  bascially 0 effort 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its much easier to vote Labour and cry foul when you are poor from your own decisions and then moan endlessly on a forum 😛   

Thought I'd give you a chance, but back on ignore.

You really are a nasty bit of work.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

😢 doubt I’ll get a state pension lol

People have been saying that all my working life. And there's no real suggestion that they might end.

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah its a no brainer at the moment.  I am also "only" ten years or so off 55 when I can release money from my pension (if everything stays the same) so I am viewing my pension now more as a saving account than a pension.  While rates are low I am putting as much money as I can into my pension given the tax advantages.

The current situation isn't great for a lot but its f**king marvellous for some.

The retire at 55 thing was one of the worst poison pills a Govt has left following govts  cos it gets used for major tax avoidance. Also ten years of no income tax.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well with pension age increasing and life expentacy decreasing maybe more and more won't make it to pension age.

All of my generation looks like Making it to pension age.

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

People have been saying that all my working life. And there's no real suggestion that they might end.

Yeah well they’d have been a bit premature. It’s a very real possibility in like 40 years time when I’ll be retiring. Too many pensioners not enough tax payers and it only looks set to get worse 

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah well they’d have been a bit premature. It’s a very real possibility in like 40 years time when I’ll be retiring. Too many pensioners not enough tax payers and it only looks set to get worse 

Yes agree with this. The highest taxes in 80 years are papering over the cracks. Alot of countries are not hitting replacement rates via births and with so many jobs nowadays being able to be done via a laptop from anywhere in the world I can see countries starting to compete for the younger tax paying workers and they'll simply move to places that treat them better.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

ooh...heard that was very good.  Where did you see it?

They were showing it in the local picturehouse cinema. I think it’s on most of the ppv streaming platforms.

It’s a tough watch. Some heavy stuff in there that will stay with me for a long time. Made me realise that I was pretty naive to the reality of what was happening. 

Should perhaps be mandatory viewing for anyone complaining about immigration numbers.

…also the fact that Russia had the gall to say it’s staged is shocker (though also not of course).