news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I have a theory. Johnson doesn’t want this Committee hearing so what’s the only way left to not let it happen? Dissolve Parliament for a general election.

I have this feeling Johnson will try to claim the people don’t care for Partygate and will try for a new mandate.

I'm not sure his backbenchers in marginal seats will share that sentiment.

The Tories know they’re done for. They are just biding their time until they can jump ship and live the life of luxury in their tax havens living off the money secured via back handers during Brexit and Covid. 

Labour will be in power soon but they are going to have one massive mess to fix. No doubt we’ll be covering the costs of the rebuilding but in around 2 general elections time the next generation of Tory twats will come back and blame all the shite on Labour and the cycle continues once more. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not sure his backbenchers in marginal seats will share that sentiment.

They don’t have a choice now. They gave away their ability to restrict when the PM wants to call an election. He can call one on a whim now. 

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The Tories know they’re done for. They are just biding their time until they can jump ship and live the life of luxury in their tax havens living off the money secured via back handers during Brexit and Covid. 

Labour will be in power soon but they are going to have one massive mess to fix. No doubt we’ll be covering the costs of the rebuilding but in around 2 general elections time the next generation of Tory twats will come back and blame all the shite on Labour and the cycle continues once more. 

this is probably the most accurate prediction yet.

13 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

They have the choice to boot him out before he can.

It would take too long and there probably aren’t the numbers for yet for him to lose the vonc. Besides he could call their bluff, dissolve Parliament and basically leave them no choice. He can do that in a matter of hours the vonc at least takes 1-2 days. 

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It would take too long and there probably aren’t the numbers for yet for him to lose the vonc. Besides he could call their bluff, dissolve Parliament and basically leave them no choice. He can do that in a matter of hours the vonc at least takes 1-2 days. 

I think this is just fantasy politics. Boris is obsessed with staying in power. If he called an election that the majority of the party didn't want, he would be toast after the election. I see no chance of Boris calling an election now, it would make no sense. If he calls early it would be a time when his popularity was high.

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Which cycles that then?

I don’t see any circularity. I just one long process of continuous decline in the political and economic management of the uk since Thatcher. Each administration both an inevitable consequence of the last and inevitably even worse in its consequences than the last.

New Labour didn’t ’fix’ thatcherism. They were/are thatcherism. They spent more on health and education granted, but funded it by flogging assets, allowing private actors in to fund the initial capital costs and then reap the profits for seemingly the rest of time, and riding on the coattails of a dangerously deregulated financial system + were corrupt warmongers to boot.

The country may well have been better off in the late 90s/early 2000s, but thats because labour received a bucket with some holes in, and instead of patching it up, poked some more in, passed it on the next guys to do the same.. then by the year of our Lord 2022 there isn’t gonna be much liquid left in that poor old bucket is there?

In this analogy the liquid in the bucket is some kind of mix between economic resilience, human capital, the goodwill of the public towards politicians/the political system.

You don’t get to do New Labour again. The UK’s finances don’t permit that level of government spending, the debt is too large, interest rates are on the rise. There are very few state held assets left to flog to raise funds. The trade deficit is exacerbated by Brexit. The costs of climate change and realigning the energy sector are already big and are going to only get bigger. Its a mess.

So if you’re voting for Starmer because you think New Labour policies firstly, are possible, and secondly, could somehow ameliorate the disaster the UK now finds itself in, without seeing that they are partly responsible for that disaster, then you are misunderstanding things.

The long one way ’cycle’ of decline since the 1970s can only be reversed by policies that are centred around maximising long term outcomes for the people of the uk. That, I’m afraid, leaves no room for neoliberalism in any of its guises, including New Labour.

Edited by mattiloy
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

How about Priti? She seems like someone the membership would adore, but I guess she would lack allies among the Maps.

She fell back alot after she didn't get to grips with the Calais crossings. I actually fancy two of the mid table runners there as very decent outside bets. Savage Javid and:

article-2542397-1ACB40E500000578-948_306

12 minutes ago, lost said:

She fell back alot after she didn't get to grips with the Calais crossings. I actually fancy two of the mid table runners there as very decent outside bets. Savage Javid and:

article-2542397-1ACB40E500000578-948_306

Good god.

Wasn't there stories about javid being a non dom recently? I think Mordaunt is a good shout...not sure if she'd be any good though.

savid could get his dad to be minister of transport, he used to be a bus driver, don't you know? working out of the bus garage just by me, and living just by me, in what's now a derelict shop.

Just now, steviewevie said:

did he? Javid hardly ever mentions that.

yeah, never heard him say it.

jobs by me, bus driver and ambulance driver. 🙂

still took ten hours for an ambulance last time i wanted one.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

wow - they have different priority levels based on how critical for these ambulances I assume?

10 hours is ridiculous.

that was me as a high priority (was back last summer, hospital was stuffed), frustrating when i can hear the ambulances go out, but not for me. 

my mum in surrey  waited 12 hours a couple of days later.

Just now, Neil said:

that was me as a high priority

i'd actually phoned 111 not 999, and they told me off for not phoning 999, they said i should be top of the pile, they were very nice, good job i wasnt dying.

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'd actually phoned 111 not 999, and they told me off for not phoning 999, they said i should be top of the pile, they were very nice, good job i wasnt dying.

that's terrible.

good thing about all the lack of funding though is there's hardly any police about now so you can do what you like.