news & politics:discussion

zahidf

20 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Ultimately what we need to do is prevent energy firms putting the prices up so Gordon Brown’s suggesting is in my mind pretty good. I think Starmer might go along this type of line but either way I’m sure the package he’ll announce will be good. 

Woo £46, cheers Keir!

9 minutes ago, lost said:

Mirror calls it huge 😆 £113m vs Sunak's £21bn with another £4.3bn promised if he wins the Tory leadership contest.

I don't think this is all they have, more stuff to be announced next week onwards. All academic of course...

Whoever is in power they're going to have to throw billions at it, whether it's Truss, Sunak or Starmer. It's just how that money is allocated, who it helps.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't think this is all they have, more stuff to be announced next week onwards. All academic of course...

Whoever is in power they're going to have to throw billions at it, whether it's Truss, Sunak or Starmer. It's just how that money is allocated, who it helps.

If theyre leading with that it hardly bodes well for what is to come

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's just how that money is allocated, who it helps.

its difficult to dish out to the riht places. the no-brainer is to remove the vat.

Loving Truss  profit not a dirty word stuff. No it's not Liz, people work hard and make a profit. Slightly different when it falls in your lap due to world events, and a chunk of that is because some c--t invaded someone. MAking profit from putin is not a dirty word Liz

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Labour should be banging the drum to get universal credit look at earlier, like now , and moving that in line with inflation.

yes, definitely this...and they will need to increase the one off payments being made to lower income households (which I expect is what govt will do).

34 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour have regularly spoken out against the cut in UC. Things get so easily forgotten. 

Yes that was then, and we remember. However this is now and they should be banging on about it and not just that £20 a month, things have moved on

You do know he is sleeping with someone else behind your back

16 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Yes that was then, and we remember. However this is now and they should be banging on about it and not just that £20 a month, things have moved on

You do know he is sleeping with someone else behind your back

Labour regularly go on about the cut to UC, they have regularly mentioned it in the Commons as well.

As I said though this is the FIRST policy announcement on cost of living to come over the next few days on top of the others they’ve been going on about this year. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

This is the first policy announcement to be announced over the coming days and will help those on pre-payment meters. It’s a decent start.

They’ll be more next week, don’t you worry. 

Why drip feed it? People need help now! Universal credit needs to be sorted now in order to come into force in October. Starmer should have been saying this for weeks to put pressure on the tories. Might have helped his polling a bit too

Edited by tigger123

Just now, tigger123 said:

Why drip feed it? People need help now! Universal credit needs to be sorted now in order to come into force in October. Starmer should have been saying this for weeks

He never wanted UC to be cut in the first place and has been talking about their previous cost of living policies, so he’s doing what you ask.

I dunno why they are drip feeding it but I would assume it’s for maximum coverage ahead of a bigger announcement at the beginning of the week (there won’t be much of a focus on a Friday).

It’s also worth pointing out that they aren’t in government so if you want action focus your ire on the Tories.