news & politics:discussion

zahidf

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok...I am very much on board for a Lost vs Mattiloy argument about all this because...well...I'm not very well informed but I do find this stuff pretty interesting these days.

Pointless argument really as economics isn't a hard science. Different schools.. Marxism, keynesian , Monetarist, Austrian etc.. taking the point full circle as I mentioned central banks seem to be raising to stifle demand, our shadow chancellor is ex-BOE and I would suggest subscribes to the same view hence why labour are weak on policy.

Clinton/Blair did the 3rd way centrist thing

I think Brown/Balls are keynesians in fact on record as saying so.

20 minutes ago, lost said:

Pointless argument really as economics isn't a hard science. Different schools.. Marxism, keynesian , Monetarist, Austrian etc.. taking the point full circle as I mentioned central banks seem to be raising to stifle demand, our shadow chancellor is ex-BOE and I would suggest subscribes to the same view hence why labour are weak on policy.

I think Brown/Balls are keynesians in fact on record as saying so.

Maybe Brown was Keynesian...but was new labour economic policy keynesian? Brown certainly got all Keynes in response to 2008 crash (and then lost the next election)

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe Brown was Keynesian...but was new labour economic policy keynesian? Brown certainly got all Keynes in response to 2008 crash (and then lost the next election)

Seem to remember he was running a 5 - 6% deficit into the crash which increased to 11%ish. As i said he pretty much matched Ken Clarke until 2001. It seems weird now though that he was the left and Blair the right whilst Corbyn/Mcdonnell were like some old has beens from a different era just hanging around.

Edited by lost

On 5/11/2022 at 6:08 AM, steviewevie said:

World beating

Australia to rocket up the ladder when we turf Morrison out on his ass in 10 days time. 

Will hopefully provide a bit of hope to most on here. A Labor win against a Teflon coated Conservative backed by a sycophantic Murdoch media. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Wow.

I’m not sure their culture wars take is going to work on people who have no option but  to use food banks.

Also, just what right do people earning at least 80k plus have to tell those on barely £8k how to live?!

Edited by Ryan1984

41 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’m not sure their culture wars take is going to work on people who have no option but  to use food banks.

Also, just what right do people earning at least 80k plus have to tell those on barely £8k how to live?!

They go under the assumption that those people in significant numbers won't vote and those who do won't vote Tory. They are throwing some red meat to those who will agree those using foodbanks are undeserving and lazy.

56 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Funnily enough one of the guys at Opinium has Tweeted about that recently.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

They go under the assumption that those people in significant numbers won't vote and those who do won't vote Tory. They are throwing some red meat to those who will agree those using foodbanks are undeserving and lazy.

yeah, and works too right? Like in early days of austerity it was all about scroungers and skivers which helped govt push through cuts to welfare...and also same about horrid immigrants coming over here to steal our jobs and rape our daughters...and here's brexit to fix that.

But at same time I think this cost of living crisis is going to affect a lot more people, and not sure this strategy of blaming the poor is going to work well for them this time.

43 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, and works too right? Like in early days of austerity it was all about scroungers and skivers which helped govt push through cuts to welfare...and also same about horrid immigrants coming over here to steal our jobs and rape our daughters...and here's brexit to fix that.

But at same time I think this cost of living crisis is going to affect a lot more people, and not sure this strategy of blaming the poor is going to work well for them this time.

On my football club’s forum - full of Brexity types who love whingeing about ‘wokeness’ and still boo the taking of the knee - their view on Rashford’s campaigning was ‘people should live within their means’. Clearly, they’ve never found any hardship in their lives but imagine it might be how a lot of people feel.

Also, always worth bearing in mind the pure evilness they pass through while we focus on things like this…

15 hours ago, lost said:

central banks seem to be raising to stifle demand

hats the way they've always done it. they've tried not to in recent years cos it can kill the housing market and depress prices, which happened in the early 90s and at other times.

Edited by Neil

10 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Australia to rocket up the ladder when we turf Morrison out on his ass in 10 days time. 

Will hopefully provide a bit of hope to most on here. A Labor win against a Teflon coated Conservative backed by a sycophantic Murdoch media. 

Modi 😆 Yeah, right!

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

Modi 😆 Yeah, right!

imgine having a prime minister called Kevin, ffs, only you ozzies could do that.