2021 Stage Predictions: Early birds with a cheat sheet this time!

Matt42

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I agree with dental that Kasabian will be back sooner or later. Although probably not in 2021.

They’re like the Killers in that they’re a headline sized band the festival could turn to in a pinch without raising too many eyebrows.

I really don’t think they are that popular. The Killers aren’t comparable to Kasabian at all. 

I feel confident that their years as a looming threat are over. They’ve been old news for a long time outside of their own fanbase. 

and no... the killers are not old news for as long as mr bright side is the most played song in the U.K.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I really don’t think they are that popular. The Killers aren’t comparable to Kasabian at all. 

I feel confident that their years as a looming threat are over. They’ve been old news for a long time outside of their own fanbase. 

and no... the killers are not old news for as long as mr bright side is the most played song in the U.K.

They still sell out parks and stadia. They may not be especially relevant on here but the average punter would still lap them up.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

They still sell out parks and stadia. They may not be especially relevant on here but the average punter would still lap them up.

And so do Kings of Leon, but I don’t see anyone saying that KOL’s time will soon come to headline again.

The next time Kasabian return they will be headlining the other stage. Bookmark me.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

And so do Kings of Leon, but I don’t see anyone saying that KOL’s time will soon come to headline again.

The next time Kasabian return they will be headlining the other stage. Bookmark me.

Re-read what I said initially... Kasabian almost certainly aren’t a band that the festival would approach as a first choice these days. However, much like the Killers, they are a band the festival could easily approach if they fail to land their top targets or someone pulls out late in the day.

Next time the fest struggles to land a headliner don’t be surprised if they pick the phone up to Serge and the lads.

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Kasabian being British gives them an edge over KOL though.

If you are saying you are 100% certain Kasabian won't headline you're setting yourself up for disappointment. And a wigging from dental.

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

We said similar about Killers headlining again but look what happened there.

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

We said similar about Killers headlining again but look what happened there.

The Killers booking proves nothing is off the table. If they’re struggling then they’re not afraid to turn to acts who may not be cutting edge but are guaranteed crowd pleasers.

Kasabian certainly fall into that category.

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The Killers booking proves nothing is off the table. If they’re struggling then they’re not afraid to turn to acts who may not be cutting edge but are guaranteed crowd pleasers.

Kasabian certainly fall into that category.

Also known as Plan D. 

I'd love another metal headliner, there's no one really like Metallica for that though. Iron Maiden fit as a band but they'd never do it, or be asked after some of their comments. 

I reckon Slipknot could do it and smash it but I can't be bothered arguing the toss about it with all the naysayers.

58 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I'd love another metal headliner, there's no one really like Metallica for that though. Iron Maiden fit as a band but they'd never do it, or be asked after some of their comments. 

I reckon Slipknot could do it and smash it but I can't be bothered arguing the toss about it with all the naysayers.

Count me in for Slipknot!!! That would be mint!

Omg I can’t deal with all these direct comparisons to the killers. You know that Kasabian and The Killers have completely different and incomparable careers right? The Killers are probably one of the most well known bands on the face of the earth. They have their own fan base but I’d wager a lot of their 15m a month Spotify listeners are due to the fact that their songs are included on pretty much any indie playlist going. Their music probably still gets played at house parties for 14 year olds.

Kasabian, whilst doing well off the back of Oasis breaking up are nowhere near this. Please don’t lump this as “every band with white guys and guitars are the same”. It’s like comparing Coldplay to Catfish & The Bottlemen. Kasabian struggle to get over 2m Spotify listeners a month. Yes they are a big band, but lumping them with the killers is laughable.

Glasto booked the killers in 2019 because as bands go they are about as mainstream as bands get. This means nothing in regard to Kasabian.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Omg I can’t deal with all these direct comparisons to the killers. You know that Kasabian and The Killers have completely different and incomparable careers right? The Killers are probably one of the most well known bands on the face of the earth. They have their own fan base but I’d wager a lot of their 15m a month Spotify listeners are due to the fact that their songs are included on pretty much any indie playlist going. Their music probably still gets played at house parties for 14 year olds.

Kasabian, whilst doing well off the back of Oasis breaking up are nowhere near this. Please don’t lump this as “every band with white guys and guitars are the same”. It’s like comparing Coldplay to Catfish & The Bottlemen. Kasabian struggle to get over 2m Spotify listeners a month. Yes they are a big band, but lumping them with the killers is laughable.

Glasto booked the killers in 2019 because as bands go they are about as mainstream as bands get. This means nothing in regard to Kasabian.

Surely you can apply that argument to almost any big artist? How many pop playlists are out there with Gaga/Eilish/Beyoncé tracks for example?

This smacks of “I don’t like them so they’re not worthy” to me.

Edited by Hugh Jass

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don't think Spotify listeners is a good measure here, The Killers headline festivals all over the world whereas Kasabian are only really big in the UK so obviously Kasabian's is going to be fairly low. I agree that even here they're not as big as The Killers, but they're still a very big band in the UK with several well known songs and they're pretty much guaranteed to go down well on the night, much like The Killers. It's easy to forget as they're not too popular on here but while their set in 2014 wasn't an iconic Glastonbury moment by any means, it was still seen as being a very good set. They still headline major festivals and outdoor gigs in the UK and would definitely headline the Pyramid again if they were booked. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting they'll be first choice but if Glastonbury are ever struggling for a headliner (which has happened a couple of times recently) there's not many safer options.

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

You would think the missing frontman rules them out just a little.

Generally speaking here: Kasabian aren't headlining the Other in 2021. Could I see it in 2023, 2024? Sure.

Weren’t they working on new stuff ? Or did I get that completely wrong ? 

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

The Prodigy are, yeah. I guess I'm having a hard time seeing them headlining major stages + fests without Keith, right off the bat.

Unless they drafted in Tom Meighan. Then we're in unchartered waters / an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Yes and I guess with any warm up time likely being limited ... wishful thinking on my part then 

10 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

I’m going to lob a thought in here: what if, instead of equating them to The Killers or Kings of Leon, a better comparison for Kasabian is The Prodigy?

The backbone of their set is 5 or 6 bangers that everyone of a certain age knows – essentially anyone who’s been to a rock festival since they broke onto the scene. The onus is on energy, chanting, chunky beats, pogoing, flares going off, a full on vibe.

By 2021, Kasabian are 12 years removed from their last run of genuine crossover hits. The Prodigy had a long lull after the 1997 peak too, then they rebooted. But new records from these guys don’t necessarily need to perform well or even line up with ‘the times’, because that kind of boshy in-yer-face energy doesn’t go out of fashion in the live arena. It’s not subtle but it’s eternally a big draw.

If all the above is true (and I think it is), then what would prevent Kasabian becoming an elite-tier Other headliner in the same way The Prodigy/Chems are?

They have to start taking some non-headline slots before that’s a reality. The Prodigy and Chem Bros never quite stuck the landing as headliners - Kasabian have been headlining fests here regularly for ten years.

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

The comparison is that The Killers received the same reaction here (“once and done, nobody cares anymore”) that Kasabian are doing now. Just like The Killers, Kasabian are a regular festival headliner who will easily bang out the hits one night and send people back to their tents happy.

The Killers are bigger but it doesn’t erase that people underpinned them all the same, nor does it justify Kasabian as a non-headliner.

56 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The Killers are bigger but it doesn’t erase that people underpinned them all the same, nor does it justify Kasabian as a non-headliner.

But it’s not the same. By booking the killers glasto picked an easy option which was a band with a very broad casual fan base. Kasabian do not match the credentials that the killers have in getting a second shot. The killers have kept a pretty strong level of popularity since they first headlined. Kasabian have not.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But it’s not the same. By booking the killers glasto picked an easy option which was a band with a very broad casual fan base. Kasabian do not match the credentials that the killers have in getting a second shot. The killers have kept a pretty strong level of popularity since they first headlined. Kasabian have not.

They absolutely have a broad casual fan base and have maintained a strong level of popularity since 2014. The last album wasn’t a big favourite among fans but still sold very well, as did the subsequent tour - managing to sell out TRNSMT and headline IOW and Reading on the same tour. It’s properly delusional to think they’ll be playing anything other than headline in the next few years.

Edited by dentalplan
Removed inaccuracy