2021 Stage Predictions: Early birds with a cheat sheet this time!

Matt42

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But it’s not the same. By booking the killers glasto picked an easy option which was a band with a very broad casual fan base. Kasabian do not match the credentials that the killers have in getting a second shot. The killers have kept a pretty strong level of popularity since they first headlined. Kasabian have not.

Since they last headlined Glastonbury they’ve also headlined TRNSMT, Reading & Leeds, Isle of Wight, T in the Park, V Festival, two nights at Leicester’s stadium and then sold out an outdoor gig in Leicester this summer too. They’re still a very big band in the UK, even if people don’t really care about their new stuff as much as they used to. 

Kasabian are Killers-lite - people only really go to see them for the songs they released like ten-fifteen years ago, except those songs aren't quite as good or popular. After The Killers I could maybe see them being booked again to headline, but it'd have to be under similar circumstances as The Killers (a weak year for festival headliners all round, with Plan A, Plan B etc falling through first). I'd like to think Glastonbury won't be getting put in that situation just yet, but obviously 2020 has messed things up a whole bunch so who knows? Still very adamant The 1975 would get that call first though.

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Also, would it surprise anyone if Kasabian's next album was a success with hit singles?

Success in what way? Album reaching #1 in the charts? Almost definitely will happen. With hit singles? Unlikely, both because they don't seem to have it in them any longer, and charts/radio have moved on so they wouldn't receive the airplay they once would. I imagine any singles would have the same level of success as the singles from the last two albums - fairly indifferent, and forgotten about soon after (possibly only remembered for some terrible lyrics and/or artwork).

Edited by FloorFiller

Agree on Dave. What about this, although it's crushing to entertain the notion of The National clashing with Gaga.

Pyramid:

The 1975 > Dave > HAIM

Paul McCartney > Gorillaz > Aerosmith

Lady Gaga > Dua Lipa > Wolf Alice > Diana Ross

Other:

Pet Shop Boys

Fatboy Slim

The National

Gorillaz seem an incredibly likely booking to me at this stage, and I think subbing Pyramid is a good slot for them. As an aside, 'Smith, Gorillaz and Macca would be insanely strong trio, but a possible one IMO.

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

Agree on Dave. What about this, although it's crushing to entertain the notion of The National clashing with Gaga.

Pyramid:

The 1975 > Dave > HAIM

Paul McCartney > Gorillaz > Aerosmith

Lady Gaga > Dua Lipa > Wolf Alice > Diana Ross

Other:

Pet Shop Boys

Fatboy Slim

The National

Gorillaz seem an incredibly likely booking to me at this stage, and I think subbing Pyramid is a good slot for them. As an aside, 'Smith, Gorillaz and Macca would be insanely strong trio, but a possible one IMO.

I would take out The National, put Gorillaz on Other and Noel G doing a one off show subbing Macca. The Sunday run is great although I don't care for Diana Ross. Dave I'm not sure will get the sub quite yet. I'd go personally The 1975, Royal Blood, Dave, HAIM. Alterntively, stick HAIM on Saturday where they were before.

To me Gorillaz are still a very popular act. I’ve never seen them live so I’m not really sure how they come across on stage.

I think they could headline other mainly because they don’t seem to be playing festivals that are as big as they used to. Also, I don’t think they are really trying to hold onto any headliner status that they are losing.

If the Other stage can give them a full production I can’t see why not.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not sure what his plans are but if he gets another album later this year/early next then Lewis Capaldi could be in the frame to sub.

I think he'll miss Glastonbury again and be booked for all/most of the stuff he was booked for this year in similar positions. Although I mostly think this because him subbing would be incredibly drab.

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think he'll miss Glastonbury again and be booked for all/most of the stuff he was booked for this year in similar positions. Although I mostly think this because him subbing would be incredibly drab.

Hey I’m not a fan of his work but he can’t be ruled out as a contender at this stage. He’s on the Sheeran/Ezra trajectory.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Hey I’m not a fan of his work but he can’t be ruled out as a contender at this stage. He’s on the Sheeran/Ezra trajectory.

I think he's ahead of Ezra at this stage in their careers, and possibly even Sheeran (although my memory may be hazy on just how big Sheeran got so quickly). But I still think he'll honour his 2020 commitments (headlining a bunch of smaller festivals) and bypass Glastonbury for one year at least, and probably return in 2022 (third down... sub... headliner... I dread to think). 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I think he's ahead of Ezra at this stage in their careers, and possibly even Sheeran (although my memory may be hazy on just how big Sheeran got so quickly). But I still think he'll honour his 2020 commitments (headlining a bunch of smaller festivals) and bypass Glastonbury for one year at least, and probably return in 2022 (third down... sub... headliner... I dread to think). 

Ezra will headline before him. I’d stick my mortgage on Ezra headlining 2022.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

In fact, my current thinking for the next few years...

21: Arctic Monkeys - Macca - Gaga

22: Ezra - Fleetwood Mac - Swift 

23: Kendrick - Coldplay - Eilish

Replace Arctics with The 1975 and then Fleetwood Mac with Arctics and I could see it. Still not sure about Eilish being booked to headline down the line, but in the spirit of having a female headliner each year then she's as good of a guess as I could make (although I think it's unlikely they'll keep up having female headliners on a yearly basis unfortunately, due to the inevitability of running out of suitable candidates pretty quickly).

37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Replace Arctics with The 1975 and then Fleetwood Mac with Arctics and I could see it. Still not sure about Eilish being booked to headline down the line, but in the spirit of having a female headliner each year then she's as good of a guess as I could make (although I think it's unlikely they'll keep up having female headliners on a yearly basis unfortunately, due to the inevitability of running out of suitable candidates pretty quickly).

I genuinely believe FM will do it next time they’re active. Both sides were flirting pretty heavily last year and my suspicion is there’s an informal “we’ll do it next time we tour” arrangement.

Arctic Monkeys will do it next time they’re active too.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I genuinely believe FM will do it next time they’re active. Both sides were flirting pretty heavily last year and my suspicion is there’s an informal “we’ll do it next time we tour” arrangement.

Arctic Monkeys will do it next time they’re active too.

Eh people have been saying that for years with Fleetwood and it's still yet to materialise. I think they're just a bunch of greedy bastards who refuse to budge on their ridiculous demands and so it isn't gonna happen, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

I reckon Arctics could well have been in the pipeline for 2021 beforehand, but what with everything getting pushed back a year I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait it out until 2022. Guess it all depends on our 2020 headliner situation which is still very much up in the air.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Eh people have been saying that for years with Fleetwood and it's still yet to materialise. I think they're just a bunch of greedy bastards who refuse to budge on their ridiculous demands and so it isn't gonna happen, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

I reckon Arctics could well have been in the pipeline for 2021 beforehand, but what with everything getting pushed back a year I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait it out until 2022. Guess it all depends on our 2020 headliner situation which is still very much up in the air.

My feeling is that AM will be the first act they call if a headliner pulls out.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

To me Gorillaz are still a very popular act. I’ve never seen them live so I’m not really sure how they come across on stage.

I think they could headline other mainly because they don’t seem to be playing festivals that are as big as they used to. Also, I don’t think they are really trying to hold onto any headliner status that they are losing.

If the Other stage can give them a full production I can’t see why not.

I saw Gorrilaz at the 02 arena in 2017 it was a decent gig, really enjoyed it.

But there was loads of space to move about and dance which although great for me it felt like a lot of tickets not sold - it felt busier when i watched Paul Weller there.

Don’t reckon they’ll move Dua Lipa to Pyramid sub. It seems that they could have, and perhaps initially did have her on the Pyramid but there was an idea behind her headlining the Other Stage this year. I don’t reckon they’ll row back on it to put her as a Pyramid sub.

All three Other headliners will be the same imo. Sorry National nerds and Gorillaz geeks.