guypjfreak

Thank fuck that's over old sons.. Fucking load of bollox imo 

And in brighter news we had baby Eliza over for a sleepover last night.. We all camped out in the morning front room.. We've had no sleep but she had a good time.. 

IMG_20230102_181539241.jpg

IMG_20230102_230105461.jpg

Edited by guypjfreak
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Thank fuck that's over old sons.. Fucking load of bollox imo 

And in brighter news we had baby Eliza over for a sleepover last night.. We all camped out in the morning front room.. We've had no sleep but she had a good time.. 

IMG_20230102_181539241.jpg

IMG_20230102_230105461.jpg

Lovely! Youse look happy!We just had three nights of the two of us plus our two grandkids ‘sleeping’ in one room, a double bed and an air bed which was used as a trampoline. All to let their mum and dad have a short break. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 3:25 AM, John the Moth said:

First gig of the year tomorrow for me.

My Baby.

We’ll I think it’s good news 😉

How were they? Seen them a couple of times and they've been fantastic both times, never quite carries onto record but so much fun live

7 hours ago, Quark said:

How were they? Seen them a couple of times and they've been fantastic both times, never quite carries onto record but so much fun live

You’ve hit the nail on the head there. Good on record, but live… oh my what a party. Such energy as they jam and free form through their catalogue. Good value too, $40 (£20) and they played for over 1 hour 40min.

Might go again when they pass back this way in a week or two.

Since Liz Truss had been elected for Prime Minister, I’ve been trying to recall if I had met her; when I was at University. It was such a big place. I had given up all hope. Then the other day I recalled going to a seminar, for a module on the German Philosopher Leibniz.

I told this girl there that I’d swapped Aristotle for Plato earlier in the year. She told me she’d had an unpleasant row with the Plato lecturer. I sympathised with her. Then she told me that she was running for the annual AGM elections, in Leeds Student Union. So I jotted her name down on the top of an A4 pad. Then I voted for her to win the election that afternoon. She obviously won. I guess.

Anyway I thought I’d tell you lot this, because it’s your sort of thing. I really had forgot about it all. I guess it’s still good news that I recall a meeting with a Prime Minister, while at University.

I looked for a better thread for this topic, but I couldn’t find one. At least now she’s left Number 10, Liz won’t end up in the, Conservative Minsters That Have died in Long Drops, thread.😆

Edited by Stutty

1 hour ago, Stutty said:

Since Liz Truss had been elected for Prime Minister, I’ve been trying to recall if I had met her; when I was at University. It was such a big place. I had given up all hope. Then the other day I recalled going to a seminar, for a module on the German Philosopher Leibniz.

I told this girl there that I’d swapped Aristotle for Plato earlier in the year. She told me she’d had an unpleasant row with the Plato lecturer. I sympathised with her. Then she told me that she was running for the annual AGM elections, in Leeds Student Union. So I jotted her name down on the top of an A4 pad. Then I voted for her to win the election that afternoon. She obviously won. I guess.

Anyway I thought I’d tell you lot this, because it’s your sort of thing. I really had forgot about it all. I guess it’s still good news that I recall a meeting with a Prime Minister, while at University.

I looked for a better thread for this topic, but I couldn’t find one. At least now she’s left Number 10, Liz won’t end up in the, Conservative Minsters That Have died in Long Drops, thread.😆

He he, it's certainly intriguing. 

I'd have said more the politics thread than good news 😊

1 hour ago, Stutty said:

I thought that MP died in a portaloo? 

10 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I thought that MP died in a portaloo? 

It was in Interstage I think, so would likely have been one of those "slightly nicer than most at the festival but still a grim end" trailer units they have back there.

17 minutes ago, incident said:

It was in Interstage I think, so would likely have been one of those "slightly nicer than most at the festival but still a grim end" trailer units they have back there.

Thanks for the info incident.

As a complete aside to MP's and death, I once opened a 'not engaged' toilet door once at Nostock Festival. And there in front of me was a girl of about 15, snorting white powder directly off the not so clean portaloo, seat. I cannot, no matter how hard I try, get that image out of my mind. And I thought that I was depraved!

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

He he, it's certainly intriguing. 

I'd have said more the politics thread than good news 😊

I couldn’t even remember voting in the AGM elections at Leeds University. Then I remember jotting Liz’s name down. I remember tapping on this door. The room attached to the door had loads of people inside. So I thought this was where you cast your vote.

The occupants of the room re-directed me. It turned out the ballot box was in the, quiet, main office, right at the top of the stairs. I seem to remember that there was a bit of an enquiry about what an AGM vote consisted in. Then, eventually, someone put a form in front of me and told me to fill it in.  

The ballot box had probably made Arthur Scargill head of the miners union. But nobody new where it was and it was built into the desk right next to me. It didn’t sound very full, as I posted my vote. So if no-one else had found the ballot box, at least Liz had a good chance of winning.

Edited by Stutty

1 hour ago, Stutty said:

I couldn’t even remember voting in the AGM elections at Leeds University. Then I remember jotting Liz’s name down. I remember tapping on this door. The room attached to the door had loads of people inside. So I thought this was where you cast your vote.

The occupants of the room re-directed me. It turned out the ballot box was in the, quiet, main office, right at the top of the stairs. I seem to remember that there was a bit of an enquiry about what an AGM vote consisted in. Then, eventually, someone put a form in front of me and told me to fill it in.  

The ballot box had probably made Arthur Scargill head of the miners union. But nobody new where it was and it was built into the desk right next to me. It didn’t sound very full, as I posted my vote. So if no-one else had found the ballot box, at least Liz had a good chance of winning.

Interesting story. Thanks for posting.

I used to visit Leeds University (donkeys years ago now) to see my mates there. My very first visit there (kind of) resulted in two of my mates being thrown out of their halls of residence, a few days later. It wasn't my fault, I hasten to add. However, it would be true that that outcome would probably not have existed, had I not been there.

Kind of back on topic - I bought two black official ballot boxes from a local antiques and curious shop about a year ago. Not sure where they were used though ie. were they used at general elections, local elections, union elections etc I do know that they had only recently arrived with the shop. I use one for storing fire starting klt at the bottom of our garden, and I have one stored in the shed, for safe keeping. One of them was even used by me, when I got people to vote using it for the last but one Eurovision Song Contest. Maybe I bought them two years ago now, thinking about it. Not sure, as my memory can be useless at times - this being one of them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I used to visit Leeds University (donkeys years ago now) to see my mates there. My very first visit there (kind of) resulted in two of my mates being thrown out of their halls of residence, a few days later. It wasn't my fault, I hasten to add. However, it would be true that that outcome would probably not have existed, had I not been there.

Kind of back on topic - I bought two black official ballot boxes from a local antiques and curious shop about a year ago. Not sure where they were used though ie. were they used at general elections, local elections, union elections etc I do know that they had only recently arrived with the shop. I use one for storing fire starting klt at the bottom of our garden, and I have one stored in the shed, for safe keeping. One of them was even used by me, when I got people to vote using it for the last but one Eurovision Song Contest. Maybe I bought them two years ago now, thinking about it. Not sure, as my memory can be useless at times - this being one of them.

Those general election ballot boxes do look like useful boxes. I’m a box re-user myself, in fact. If I ever get a useful box, I use it for something else. Our local second-hand shop sells really cheap vases. I bought some really nice ones for under £1 a few years ago.

Now things have become more expensive I might have to consider cutting up old washing-up bottles; in case I run out of vases.

Edited by Stutty

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The ballot box in Leeds Univetsity Union was one of those things that was actually built into the enquiry desk. It was actually part of the desk. Made of the same wood and so on. This made it all the more surprising that no-one knew what it was for. This was made even more perplexing by the fact that, this ballot box, wasn’t attached to the desk at the wall, but was perched, on the corner. This box was a typical Yorkshire ballot box. You couldn’t miss it. It didn’t hide in any corners and it stood out like a sore thumb. Yet seven years after the miners strike no-one even knew what it was for!!

3 hours ago, Stutty said:

Those general election ballot boxes do look like useful boxes.

I needed to go out into the garden earlier while it was dark (just to be clear - I didn't need it to be dark. It was just dark at that time). While out there it occured to me to take some photos of the ballot box that is kept in the garden, and to post them on here. There are now two things that I need to make clear;

(1) That I do not suffer from some sort of pride in the ownership of a ballot box. So much so, in fact, that I am 'driven' to prove it publicly - to 'show off', if you like.*

(2) I took the photos in a cabin at the back of the garden ie my garden is not made of timber flooring.

* - I do like the fact that when I look at either of the ballot boxes, I am occasionally reminded that they are the representatives for democracy. 

IMG_1989.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stutty said:

The ballot box in Leeds Univetsity Union was one of those things that was actually built into the enquiry desk. It was actually part of the desk. Made of the same wood and so on. This made it all the more surprising that no-one knew what it was for. This was made even more perplexing by the fact that, this ballot box, wasn’t attached to the desk at the wall, but was perched, on the corner. This box was a typical Yorkshire ballot box. You couldn’t miss it. It didn’t hide in any corners and it stood out like a sore thumb. Yet seven years after the miners strike no-one even knew what it was for!!

Just wondering -what system for voting had replaced the ballot box?

20 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

What halls were you’re friends in?

7 hours ago, Neil said:

i'm sure hes done it somewhen, but i can't think when.

He headlined the Saturday night in 94. He was on a world tour and banned any footage or photos of his Glastonbury set being released, not heard of that before or since. I think I saw Tricky instead

1 hour ago, justanotheronethen said:

He headlined the Saturday night in 94. He was on a world tour and banned any footage or photos of his Glastonbury set being released, not heard of that before or since. I think I saw Tricky instead

Aye, it was brilliant

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/peter-gabriel/1994/worthy-farm-pilton-england-7bd3d668.html