LCD Soundsystem/James Murphy/Despacio

sogryp

Any chance of having Despacio there again this year, as they did last time LCD played? Was so great having its own tent and always having an option to go to see it were you in the area, as the music never disappoints! 

7 hours ago, tigger123 said:

Any chance of having Despacio there again this year, as they did last time LCD played? Was so great having its own tent and always having an option to go to see it were you in the area, as the music never disappoints! 

Reckon we’d need Soulwax or 2manydjs on the lineup too to make it possible

8 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Of course but they play semi regularly and wouldn’t be on the first poster so a good chance they could still end up playing 

18 minutes ago, snoochie1981 said:

Soulwax/2ManyDJs are playing Ireland the weekend before https://www.itsbeyondthepale.ie which is a good sign.

Strange that Soulwax weren’t on the first poster though as you’d expect them to be playing one of the main stages.

Ooh now that is interesting, a few others on the same bill there too could pop up

11 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

2manydjs could easily be SH etc - or arcadia

I went to Despacio in Gent on Saturday and it was an amazing evening. Most of the previous ones they've done have been at festivals in tents but this was in a really interesting building in the centre of the city called the Wintercircus. They hadn't used it for about 30 years but it's been redeveloped and Despacio was part of a bigger event over the weekend that included conferences, tours and workshops.

For anyone who's been before, you'll know the soundtrack is a real slow burner over the time (6 hours) but it was a lot more eclectic than I was expecting. The lights were superb and centred as always around the huge disco ball that was suspended from the ceiling. Crowd was mostly in the 30/40yo age bracket but I was there with my lad who is 17 and there were plenty of people in their 50/60's present. The atmosphere was excellent throughout, which is what you would expect with it being the first one in Belgium and in the home city of the two brothers. 

I'm not sure how many (if any?) Despacio's there will be over the summer as LCD and Soulwax are obviously both touring, plus 2manydjs have quite a few dates announced already? There's a massive amount of planning and a whole lot of logistics that need to be put in place to make each Despacio happen so I think it's doubtful they'll be able to organise that around everything else.

29 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Why wouldn’t they be on the first poster?

For the same reason that 99% of the DJs who will be playing aren’t yet on the poster. For example Bicep who apparently self confirmed for Iicon aren’t on the poster, yet are a far bigger act than 2manydjs so it follows that an act the size of 2manydjs could be playing but aren’t on the poster. 

To be clear I have no info that they are/aren’t playing, more am saying that just cos they’re not on the poster doesn’t mean they’re definitely not playing 

56 minutes ago, Semprini said:

I went to Despacio in Gent on Saturday and it was an amazing evening. Most of the previous ones they've done have been at festivals in tents but this was in a really interesting building in the centre of the city called the Wintercircus. They hadn't used it for about 30 years but it's been redeveloped and Despacio was part of a bigger event over the weekend that included conferences, tours and workshops.

For anyone who's been before, you'll know the soundtrack is a real slow burner over the time (6 hours) but it was a lot more eclectic than I was expecting. The lights were superb and centred as always around the huge disco ball that was suspended from the ceiling. Crowd was mostly in the 30/40yo age bracket but I was there with my lad who is 17 and there were plenty of people in their 50/60's present. The atmosphere was excellent throughout, which is what you would expect with it being the first one in Belgium and in the home city of the two brothers. 

I'm not sure how many (if any?) Despacio's there will be over the summer as LCD and Soulwax are obviously both touring, plus 2manydjs have quite a few dates announced already? There's a massive amount of planning and a whole lot of logistics that need to be put in place to make each Despacio happen so I think it's doubtful they'll be able to organise that around everything else.

Despacio was at Glastonbury in 2014 so if they could organise it then, no reason why they can’t now.

What would stop them doing it however is if either James Murphy or 2manydjs had other tour dates over Glastonbury weekend, as no way Despacio would happen for just one day given it requires setup, its own tent etc.

Just had a look at both of their tour dates and they are both free the whole Glasto weekend currently and as another poster has said 2manydjs are local around the time of Glastonbury, so could be a chance they do it. Whether or not it materialises is another matter

21 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Despacio was at Glastonbury in 2014 so if they could organise it then, no reason why they can’t now.

What would stop them doing it however is if either James Murphy or 2manydjs had other tour dates over Glastonbury weekend, as no way Despacio would happen for just one day given it requires setup, its own tent etc.

Just had a look at both of their tour dates and they are both free the whole Glasto weekend currently and as another poster has said 2manydjs are local around the time of Glastonbury, so could be a chance they do it. Whether or not it materialises is another matter

By 'everything else' I was referring to their respective tour schedules, rather than what goes on at Glastonbury. Totally agree there's no reason why they can't host Despacio again but I'm pretty sure in 2014 they weren't all touring like they are this summer (LCD definitely weren't as it was 2016 when they started again).

It's also one thing getting the two brothers and James free on the same weekend but there's the crew that's needed to make it all work to take into consideration as well. I know a few of them and they told me they were on site in Gent for the whole week leading up to the shows. I hope I'm wrong but I just think they've got too much going on this summer to do Despacio alongside their LCD, Soulwax and 2manydjs commitments. 

54 minutes ago, Semprini said:

By 'everything else' I was referring to their respective tour schedules, rather than what goes on at Glastonbury. Totally agree there's no reason why they can't host Despacio again but I'm pretty sure in 2014 they weren't all touring like they are this summer (LCD definitely weren't as it was 2016 when they started again).

It's also one thing getting the two brothers and James free on the same weekend but there's the crew that's needed to make it all work to take into consideration as well. I know a few of them and they told me they were on site in Gent for the whole week leading up to the shows. I hope I'm wrong but I just think they've got too much going on this summer to do Despacio alongside their LCD, Soulwax and 2manydjs commitments. 

Totally fair, fingers crossed they are there. Any chance you could ask the people you know who work on it if they’re gonna be at Glastonbury?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tigger123 said:

For the same reason that 99% of the DJs who will be playing aren’t yet on the poster. For example Bicep who apparently self confirmed for Iicon aren’t on the poster, yet are a far bigger act than 2manydjs so it follows that an act the size of 2manydjs could be playing but aren’t on the poster. 

To be clear I have no info that they are/aren’t playing, more am saying that just cos they’re not on the poster doesn’t mean they’re definitely not playing 

Nobody is saying they definitely not playing… I was questioning your assertion that they wouldn’t be on the poster.

2 hours ago, Semprini said:

There was a lot of sound bleed into the tent last time it was at Glastonbury too, which given the whole point of the thing may lead them to just not want to do it again.

On 3/18/2024 at 4:17 PM, tigger123 said:

Totally fair, fingers crossed they are there. Any chance you could ask the people you know who work on it if they’re gonna be at Glastonbury?!

Haven't found out anything specific to Glasto yet but my son is part of a Despacio group on Discord and apparently the sound system has a permit/licence (something along those lines) to be in Europe for the next 12 months. If that is the case then it makes the possibility of future dates much more likely. It's been in the States for quite a few years so the fact it's now over here can only be a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a run of Autumn dates in the Roundhouse as they were due to play there during Covid but it got cancelled.

8 hours ago, Semprini said:

Haven't found out anything specific to Glasto yet but my son is part of a Despacio group on Discord and apparently the sound system has a permit/licence (something along those lines) to be in Europe for the next 12 months. If that is the case then it makes the possibility of future dates much more likely. It's been in the States for quite a few years so the fact it's now over here can only be a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a run of Autumn dates in the Roundhouse as they were due to play there during Covid but it got cancelled.

Amazing thanks a lot for the intel, fingers crossed for Glastonbury then, if not I’ll be at the London date they hopefully do!

I’d love Despacio to be there but the one year they did neither act played elsewhere on site and it was all weekend I believe, which was probably pretty intense? 

I’m not sure if James Murphy playing a huge gig on the Pyramid Stage on the Friday makes it more or less likely? I guess at least the gig is first. do Despacio have an entirely different crew?

Soulwax / 2manydjs like money and as a result they are not glastonbury regulars, sadly

i suspect their glasto days are behind them and that a repeat of despacio is sadly extremely unlikely

In an era where williams green has been cut, getting something like despacio is unrealistic

3 hours ago, DJL said:

I’d love Despacio to be there but the one year they did neither act played elsewhere on site and it was all weekend I believe, which was probably pretty intense? 

I’m not sure if James Murphy playing a huge gig on the Pyramid Stage on the Friday makes it more or less likely? I guess at least the gig is first. Do Despacio have an entirely different crew?

The people I know are Soulwax/2manydjs crew and they were all working at Despacio last week. One of them, who I've spoken to in a bit more detail about it, told me about the times he's been to Coachella and other festivals in the States where they've put it on so I'm pretty sure they make up the bulk of the Despacio crew. James might have some of his own people but that's not the impression I got.

• Like 1