Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, thespiral said:

Yep. Listening to news this morning in the UK - they are suggesting this will be an issue for a good few months yet. They are talking about 2 to 3 months either side of an outbreak peaking.

So it's gonna be a wait and see situation unfortunately .

Yes.

I think the biggest risk is not that big gatherings are banned within Spain/Catalunya but that bands decide getting on and off planes for a couple of months in the midst of a European breakout is a health hazard. So even if Spain does comparatively well, there could be mass pullouts.

There will be cancellations for sure. Hopefully a very small number. I guess even under the best case scenario, those bands they had for Unexpected Primavera will have to replace those that cancel.

This is some bad shit for sure.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I think the biggest risk is not that big gatherings are banned within Spain/Catalunya

Well, if this goes out of containement with 1% fatality rate (WHO numbers, 10 times seasonal flu) at 25% spread (WHO guestimates) Spain alone risk 115.000 fatalities. I think to cancel gatherings like this is one of the more easy decisions the governments will have to face. In fact the opposite, not to cancel, is a decision much more harder to justify. Apologies for my pessimistic outlooks... We just have to see how this all develops.

1 minute ago, puckno said:

Well, if this goes out of containement with 1% fatality rate (WHO numbers, 10 times seasonal flu) at 25% spread (WHO guestimates) Spain alone risk 115.000 fatalities. I think to cancel gatherings like this is one of the more easy decisions the governments will have to face. In fact the opposite, not to cancel, is a decision much more harder to justify. Apologies for my pessimistic outlooks... We just have to see how this all develops.

Yes. I think if things get worse (i.e. to WHO 25% spread) BOTH bands will cancel and the government will shut down events.

If things continue on the current trajectory, then 'only' bands will cancel.

We really need the speed to unexpectedly slow down now/be contained or this festival isn't going ahead. 

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Wait, so the WHO are predicting it'll spread to 25% of the global population?

Can´t find a reference, I might have confused with my local health authorities who have asked health services to prepare for a possible (but not unavoidable) worst case pandemic with 25%. However some go higher, a Harvard professor on epidomology weigh in his opinion: "I think it is likely we will see a global pandemic. If a pandemic happens, 40% to 70% of people world-wide are likely to be infected in the coming year ". An article in El Pais today illustrate some of the differences to seasonal flu with respect to how much easier this corora virus spread. While seasonal flu might infect 1.3 others per case, what is seen with the corona is a factor between 2 and 3. How much faster it spread is visually striking in the first picture of this article: https://elpais.com/ciencia/2020-03-02/como-se-compara-el-coronavirus-con-la-gripe-los-numeros-dicen-que-es-peor.html 

On a different note: A corona sick person was reported to attend a concert with 800 people in Norway this weekend. Local doctors weigh in with statements like "up to 200 persons might have been infected". Not sure if those are to believed, but I can definitely see how a momentum to ban large public gatherings can build quickly.

4 minutes ago, Hannah990 said:

Praying it being an outdoor event is the saving factor!!

Only time can be the saving factor in my view.

i.e. by the time a decision is made the situation is starting to get better. If it's bad enough they are forcing the cancellation of indoor events, then it will be bad enough that bands aren't touring.

Just cancelled my trip to Tokyo next week for The National + Phoebe Bridges and Stereolab due to the virus concern (The National also already inform their cancellation). Apparently Tokyo also close most of the museum and attraction. 

Have to admit the sudden cancellation is pretty depressing and I hope that Europe can resolve this as soon as possible. Especially, considering I need to apply for Schengen Visa  and wait for almost 3 weeks for Visa approval.

Hope and pray for everyone's safety and good health. Looking forward for PS2020, Massive Attack and Weyes Blood.

Edited by Bram
  • Upvote 1

If Primavera is indeed cancelled, will the tickets be refunded? The answer on the festival site is quite confusing IMO...

In the case of cancellation how is the refund of the ticket organised? In which cases am I entitled or not entitled to a refund?

Once the ticket has been bought, it will only be changed or refunded in the case of cancellation. You can exercise the right of refusal during 14 calendar days following the purchase provided you bought the tickets a minimum of 14 calendar days before the event (for online ticket sales only). Change of name and refunds are not accepted except on the cases specified at tickets general conditions.

The event will only be considered to have been cancelled if more than fifty per cent of the concerts are cancelled. In that case, the purchaser can apply for a refund in a period no longer than 30 days from the date of the public announcement of the cancellation, in the form specified by the Organization. With regards to the paid day tickets or full festival tickets, the event will only be considered as cancelled if more than FIFTY PER CENT OF THE PROGRAMME itself is cancelled. Any cancellation will be on account of the impossibility for the artist or artists contracted by the festival to honour their contract.

The organisation reserves the right to alter or modify the programme should an artist be unable to perform at the festival for reasons beyond the control of the festival. The festival will look for a replacement.

Bad weather, natural disasters, Spanish airspace closure or any other force majeure will not lead to ticket refunds

It seems that a virus outbreak qualifies as "force majeure", which means there will be no refund, however surely this case will lead to the cancellation of the festival (which means more than 50% of the concerts are cancelled) and hence it will lead to refund? Can someone clarify?

Edited by yaniv297

1 hour ago, yaniv297 said:

If Primavera is indeed cancelled, will the tickets be refunded? The answer on the festival site is quite confusing IMO...

It seems that a virus outbreak qualifies as "force majeure", which means there will be no refund, however surely this case will lead to the cancellation of the festival (which means more than 50% of the concerts are cancelled) and hence it will lead to refund? Can someone clarify?

Started reading this to help you answer the question, but my eyes started to gloss over part of the way into it:

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/coronavirus-and-force-majeure-contract-clauses

I'd think that "more than 50% of the bands cancelling" would preclude any Force Majeure in this case, since it does have a pretty narrow interpretation under the law from the 50 or so words i skimmed.

The long and short of it would be that they would be quite brazen to not refund, what, 100,000 people when they themselves probably have clauses in their contracts with the bands akin to "no play, no pay".  There would be a pretty big uprising of anger and if Primavera is anything it is acutely aware of the customer experience. 

So what's our alternatives? Assuming All Points East and Best Kept Secrets will be cancelled as well if Primavera will - what are our late-summer options? Werchter? Roskilde?

I'm starting to think there's not really a chance for it to happen. even if things begin to get better in a week or two, which is super-optimistic, it will take time till it is down to reasonable level, and even then - no one will want to risk a second round, large gatherings will probably still be banned for a while

don't see how any large festival will be held in June, let alone early June

17 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

So what's our alternatives? Assuming All Points East and Best Kept Secrets will be cancelled as well if Primavera will - what are our late-summer options? Werchter? Roskilde?

I'm starting to think there's not really a chance for it to happen. even if things begin to get better in a week or two, which is super-optimistic, it will take time till it is down to reasonable level, and even then - no one will want to risk a second round, large gatherings will probably still be banned for a while

Paredes De Coura, Pukkelpop, Ypsigrock, La Route Du Rock etc - plenty of (although most not quite as big) options

Still 3 months to go though, wouldn't be worried just yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not coronavirus related because I feel like the festival will still go ahead, but does anybody know how I can sell the tickets I've bought? I got them early on, not thinking about financial responsibility...but now I'm humped ha. I got them through the primavera site/their ticket seller - Redtkt, which has instructions on how to put them back out there, but this option doesn't exist when I log in. And I can't use DICE because I didn't buy them through DICE. 

Any past experiences and information with this would be useful. Cheers

29 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I think Coachella will be the big indicator, if it is completely cancelled then I would say Primavera probably won't happen, as I think bands would start making the choice to pull dates for the immediate future. I just hope there is some good news in terms of a potential vaccine or cases starting to drop in the next couple of weeks. 

Edited by chilirocker

3 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

I think Coachella will be the big indicator, if it is completely cancelled then I would say Primavera probably won't happen, as I think bands would start making the choice to pull dates for the immediate future. I just hope there is some good news in terms of a potential vaccine or cases starting to drop in the next couple of weeks. 

The state of California just announces a statewide emergency, and the numbers just started to rise there, I really doubt there's going to be a festival there in a month.

I've never hoped more to be wrong, but I just don't see how the trend will shift so fast - numbers are still on a rise and new countries are added every day. Even if it will slow down, there's just not enough time for it to start declining to close to zero new cases in about 2 months (that's the latest for cancellation in my mind, early May).

SXSW starting these days, technology conferences etc this weekend already, and the music conference in a week. A lot of companies pulling out of the tech part, Apple and Netflix the latest to confirm a pull out today. There is also a large controversy on if it should be held or not, 48.000 people have signed a petition to have it cancelled https://www.change.org/p/cdc-petition-to-have-sxsw-cancelled-amid-corona-virus-outbreak?source_location=topic_page

Edited by puckno