Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

Wouldn't canceling the whole festival at this stage be a nightmare when it comes to calculating the benefit/risk ratio, at this stage? I mean they would already loose a lot of money,despite insurances. 

I think they will try to save it as much as they can. If in April Spain is substantially impacted by the virus I would say we are in danger. 

As for the American bands, I don't know. Could they pull out just because of misperception? I think it's not in the interest of LDR, Pavement or Strokes to loose this date. 

Agreed!! It’s in every party’s interest to keep it on. Even if it does get to the drastic stage where Spain has to ban indoor gatherings (like France) prima should be ok anyway?

35 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

Wouldn't canceling the whole festival at this stage be a nightmare when it If in April Spain is substantially impacted by the virus I would say we are in danger. 

I agree with this.

But don't agree that overseas bands will be very reluctant to cancel. They have been entourages to consider and some of them can effectively be employees. I can see that if things get worse/stay bad, they will not take the risk.

The next month is crucial. Cases can explode. Brazil today from 2 to 252. Italy today is up 50% from only yesterday. Germany doubled. The numbers need to start falling in the next few weeks.

Yeah we need this to calm down ASAP to be absolutely sure things will be fine. So many different places have had huge spikes this week and its pretty nerve-shredding.

I think it should be all good by June, but I'm losing confidence it definitely will be and I'm wary it may still get worse before it gets better.

12 hours ago, whos3000 said:

I think they will try to save it as much as they can. If in April Spain is substantially impacted by the virus I would say we are in danger.

There might be insurance reasons etc that will make the festival will have to wait for cancellations by the government, e.g. in the form of 'no audiences above 1000 allowed' and so on. Because of this you might expect any cancellation to be somewhat closer to the festival start and not at this stage. I guess also some of the artists will wait for such regulations before they can cancel with respect to their contractual obligations. If there is a large community spread or significant problems in holding up the containment strategy in April I guess we can see such governmental regulations with effect into the Primavera time period. 

Edited by puckno

21 hours ago, rfnd91 said:

I mean not to get a vey good spot at the VIP are but at least get inside?

As puckno said it is all a matter of what the band pull in popularity is. I’ve been able to get there 10 minutes to 15 minutes early and have no problem being at the very front for some bands, typically earlier in the day like Courtney Barnett, Big Thief, etc, but other bands like Radiohead and LCD took a lot more effort. But, If you are worried about missing the other stage you will see it on the stage you’re waiting at since they show on the big screens and you can sort of hear the music played behind you. Not a perfect scenario, but if you have to make a choice and leave one show early to get in line for another you won’t entirely missed the whole performance...

That All Points East Thom Yorke show is an "acoustic solo performance" too - this is the description on the APE site.

Unlike his current Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes tour, where the Radiohead frontman is accompanied by Nigel Godrich and visual artist Tarik Barr, his set at Victoria Park will see him take the stage solo – performing tracks from his own back-catalogue as well as Radiohead’s in a never-seen-before way.

APE weekend 1 has some great acts that I was hoping to see at PS: Whitney, Glass Animals, Thom Yorke, Young Fathers...

I think many are waiting to see what happens with SXSW, Coachella and all those Latin America Lollapaloozas. They are the first in the fest season; March and April. If any of them cancels, it could start a very very bad wave of cancellations. If all of them go ahead, that could be a good sign for European fests as well.

• Like 1

The threat is very much real. Had tickets for Foals, Green Day, Jimmy Eat World and Lacuna Coil over the next few weeks and all have cancelled. Granted it was probably an easier decision to make to not come to Asia and risk it at the start of tours that will go on right through the year but it does show bands are willing to make big, costly decisions and not take any chances. 

38 minutes ago, BKKTOM said:

The threat is very much real. Had tickets for Foals, Green Day, Jimmy Eat World and Lacuna Coil over the next few weeks and all have cancelled. Granted it was probably an easier decision to make to not come to Asia and risk it at the start of tours that will go on right through the year but it does show bands are willing to make big, costly decisions and not take any chances. 

Or it could make them less likely to cancel EU dates after losing out with Asia. Hard to predict really 

10 hours ago, BKKTOM said:

I’ve got from 20% chance of cancellation to - well - a far higher number, let’s say, this last week.

It’s clear from reactions of governments and experts that this is very serious indeed and everything points to a escalation (including in Europe and US) at which points events start getting cancelled, bands cancel tours, travel restrictions get imposed etc.

As an absolute minimum Spain needs to be one of the least affected European counties.

It’s really bad timing for the festival and will be nail biting stuff for the next few weeks. 

On 3/1/2020 at 4:21 PM, xxialac said:

Damn, I think we might lose Otoboke Beaver too.

Plus I fear one or more of the North American bands will get cold feet. That’s where the existential risk lies to the festival itself.

Wolf Parade have just postponed all their UK and EU dates due to the virus. 

2 minutes ago, Dubkeith said:

Wolf Parade have just postponed all their UK and EU dates due to the virus. 

: (   FFS this could be the beginning of the end. Primavera completely relies on the touring North American bands. 

Think positive thoughts, think positive thoughts...

13 minutes ago, xxialac said:

: (   FFS this could be the beginning of the end. Primavera completely relies on the touring North American bands. 

Think positive thoughts, think positive thoughts...

With the elderly being most at risk, I worry for Iggy. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, xxialac said:

I’ve got from 20% chance of cancellation to - well - a far higher number, let’s say, this last week.

It’s clear from reactions of governments and experts that this is very serious indeed and everything points to a escalation (including in Europe and US) at which points events start getting cancelled, bands cancel tours, travel restrictions get imposed etc.

As an absolute minimum Spain needs to be one of the least affected European counties.

It’s really bad timing for the festival and will be nail biting stuff for the next few weeks. 

Yep. Listening to news this morning in the UK - they are suggesting this will be an issue for a good few months yet. They are talking about 2 to 3 months either side of an outbreak peaking.

So it's gonna be a wait and see situation unfortunately .

Yes, if its true that virus will slow down in warmer weather, its not like its gonna go away within a week. There will be tons of people infected by the time it slows down. So if its continues to peak into mid March, its hardly gonna clear before mid to late May, meaning its very very bad timing for Primavera.

Logic says it should all be good come early / mid July, but i guess first round of festivals could be affected.