Shelter Glastonbury

marathonsteve

20 minutes ago, incident said:

Probably not, and it changes from year to year anyway - but as a general rule of thumb -

WBC tend to run the high volume bars mostly near the main stages/markets
Refresh West have the bars in Arcadia and Shangri La
Places like Brothers, Cider Bus, etc run their own
Avalon have the bulk of the rest

Guess I’ll just wait and see what I get given on the Tuesday when we leave Bristol on the coach!

21 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Yep!

shame the training wasn’t offered in Bristol as well! Ho hum.

As I may have whinged earlier, that's a £30+ and the best part of a much valued day off to do something I've already done twice before Ho Hum. It's probably wise for people who've never done barwork or festivaling before, but I'm sure they could stick it all online somehow.

I'd be interested to know if anyone was knocked back because they couldn't make a training day.

There was a map somewhere at some point but the ones I can remember are:

Glade

A little one round the corner from The Glade that a can’t remember the name of but it also has ‘Glade’ in it.

Stonebridge

The Beat Hotel

The Acoustic one that’s got a pub name.

The meeting point

West Holts

2 hours ago, amfy said:

Glade

A little one round the corner from The Glade that a can’t remember the name of but it also has ‘Glade’ in it.

Stonebridge

The Beat Hotel

The meeting point

West Holts

you missed out the Park Bar

park-bar-front.thumb.jpg.18994cf3d4d96a7fb85acdf4d3b11502.jpg

21 hours ago, amfy said:

Glade

Stonebridge

The Beat Hotel

The meeting point

West Holts

Plus they used to have the Thatchers craft bars that were dotted around the site (not going to be there this year, will hopefully be replaced with other bar related things).

They had a gin palace near the bandstand last time iirc.

I think there's one near the Orange charge tent.

Probably more, though I don't remember there being that many on the map I remember seeing from years ago.

Never knew they did The Beat Hotel. Doesn't that do cooked food as well?  I always presumed that that was a stand alone thing.

On 03 May 2019 at 8:39 PM, amfy said:

I’m pretty sure that was in the list in 2017 but I could be wrong.@MrZigster

That's both of us not sure of ourselves then :)

10 hours ago, LadyP said:

Anyone had confirmation of their London training day yet? It’s on Saturday!

6 hours ago, Halfspin said:

Still waiting for my confirmation, I asked for Wednesday.

3 hours ago, chelseadisco said:

I've also requested the Saturday training in Brixton, I sent an email last week but haven't heard anything yet...

It gives me comfort that I'm not alone!

Me four. Thursday 16th Old Street for me.

Cutting it fine aren't they. But tbh that's business as usual. Nothing to be too concerned about (though if it gets to this Thursday I may be sending an email).

Is Old Street in Brixton then. Never knew that.

No it's not, they're doing different days in different locations.

We are in Brixton Community Centre which is south but Old Street is in central London :) v easy to get to if you haven't been before!

I presume its because the Shelter offices are closed on weekends?

Thanks for your incredibly speedy reply.

You're right and I stand corrected (I was fairly sure Old Street is not vaguely Brixtonish).

This will be my fourth year volunteering with Shelter and my third training session, Which have always been at Old Street. I'm guessing that I just saw the date that I could get to and ignored all other addresses in my "Can I make a training date or I'm not allowed in", panicked state.

14 minutes ago, chelseadisco said:

Can DEFINITELY relate to this!!

Thanks. Not just me then?

Have you done "The Training" before? I would still like to hear if anyone really has lost a place because they couldn't make a training date. Especially if they have volunteered before. Or a good argument as to why constant refreshers are deemed necessary.

Old Street is easy to get to? The Underground stop maybe. But which exit to take, and the crossroads as you surface have got me lost and made me late more than once :).

I haven't done this one, I'm fresh to Shelter for Glasto but I've worked many a festival bar and have had many a mandatory pre-commencement training session such as these. 

I agree its tedious for those of us that know the drill but I guess its probably a condition of their license as well as liabilities insurance.

I do find it odd that those of you that attended in 2017 have to go again unless there's been some update to the legislation in that time that we're unaware of? 

The mind boggles ?

As for Old Street yes I meant the station, escaping is whole different kettle of fish that I won't pretend to be able to help with ?

Google maps is my only friend in these situations!

Edited by chelseadisco

On 5/7/2019 at 12:57 AM, MrZigster said:

Or a good argument as to why constant refreshers are deemed necessary.

:).

The WBC are having a ' WBC Organiser training day' - Saturday 18th of May so it will be interesting having someone who was not even born when I first joined the WBC teaching me !!!

They claim its compulsory so there will be Organiser's from England - Wales - Ireland and Scotland all showing up.

The last time they held a WBC Organiser training day was in 2002 or 2003 when the Licensing Act 2003 was about to kick in. 

But as its in the WBC Pub { near Clapham common tube station } I am going for the free drink !! - they claim ' there is a new till system they are trying out although it wont apply to me as I work in the Crew Bar so we don't use scanners or a normal till.

As you know the WBC do not recruit from the general public as they have a huge network of volunteers so they will be asking WBC Organiser to update their specific Group but I can see the sense of Shelter/Avalon having training days for people who are inexperienced.

You never know they may have changed some procedure although there has been no changes to the Licensing Act 2003.

so be sure to report back and let us know if ' they are just repeating themselves from previous years.' 

Tbh I could probably do with a bit of a refresher. I get them annually for certain things in my real world life after all and though I worked in 2016 I haven't actually done the training since 2014, which is half a decade, and the last bar I worked at only had one drink in two sizes to contend with :).  It's just hugely inconvenient in a number of ways is all.

That's if it happens. Still waiting to hear here.

4 minutes ago, Halfspin said:

I'm assuming all is well with the response form,  I'll turn up for the training as requested/confirmed unless I hear otherwise.

The only response I've had is from Google forms. I'm assuming we'll hear more just like Bristol people have.