Shelter Glastonbury

marathonsteve

12 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I was dead against it but all my Team kept going on about it so I joined 12 years ago or so - its dead handy as I can contact them all at the same time and have seen some amazing photos that I would have missed - there is a few secret groups that I was asked onto about the WBC - I have about 90 friends which is very low compared to the rest of them but I am not interested in people I don't know - sure its a bit different for Shelter/Avalon but you never know ' you may like it '

Wow. Has facebook been a thing for that long? That must make you a very early adopter.

4 hours ago, chelseadisco said:

Request still pending ?

Back of a fag packet but in my experience it all comes together and works (generally).

15 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Wow. Has facebook been a thing for that long? That must make you a very early adopter.

Back of a fag packet but in my experience it all comes together and works (generally).

well its showing up as 2007 but by then I would say that 95% of my Team { which at that time
was 50 Volunteers } was already on it so they must have joined in 2006 { it was open to the public 26 September 2006 }  and a good percentage of the WBC Inner Circle was already on it ' with a few exceptions ' who have never joined.

At first it kept trying to put me in a Bloody Group such as ' The Glasgow Group ' or ' The University of London Group ' { I used to be a University Lecturer at it } - now I don't have a clue how many is in The Glasgow Group but seeing I moved to London in the 70's its unlikely I would know many - not sure how I was able to get round that one but I did so I am not a member of any Public FB Group but a few hidden groups to do with the WBC.

So I reckon I joined late in 2007 ' just to get some bloody peace ' 

--------

By the way its not just Shelter/Avalon as the WBC is slow this year to get out info but I will be at the last planning meeting before Glastonbury in 8 days time so I may even find out the bar prices as they are only fixed close to the event.

but as you know ' it all falls into place ' just in time.

Imag33e7771.jpg.7d5560dd574395694039400e72083858.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

On 5/31/2019 at 9:22 AM, chelseadisco said:

Will do my best!

Although my request to join said group is still yet to be approved... 

Out of curiosity, was it the same in previous years for the Facebook group? Or was it more email-based?

Yes. When i've done it in the past we heard nothing at all and then just turned up and did our duty and had a blast. They're a charity, give em a break. I know you're keen but don't pester them, they've got a lot on their plate.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:06 PM, Halfspin said:

That would be very helpful. I'm looking at a lightweight Facebook replacement app, I don't want to install the full blown heavyweight official version. Does anyone have any recommendations for android?

Don't know why you need an app really - just view it through your web browser.  I've done away with all those similar apps to free my phone up (twitter, youtube, facebook) and just use Chrome when I want to look at them.

3 minutes ago, Halfspin said:

It's quiet....too quiet! Has everyone gone over to Facebook now?

There’s a few messages on there but mostly people just chatting about transport down there and arranging to go into Shepton Mallet by taxi on the Tuesday to being more alcohol in.

On 6/2/2019 at 4:16 PM, johnngypsy said:

Yes. When i've done it in the past we heard nothing at all and then just turned up and did our duty and had a blast. They're a charity, give em a break. I know you're keen but don't pester them, they've got a lot on their plate.

Ah ok thanks, good to know it’s possible we might not receive any info. 

To be clear I definitely won’t be pestering anybody, I work for a charity and fully understand they have more important things to focus on! That’s why I tend to lean on these forums to express my little anxieties here instead :)  I just like to plan ahead as much as possible.

Of course we are all going to have a great time whatever! ?

My request has been approved too ??

A few people were asking whether anyone had received confirmation of coaches etc and someone from shelter posted on the group to say that emails are expected to go out this week but confirmed that everyone has been given the coach time they requested. 

There was also a post about the line up for the Arcadia crew bar Tow and Hitch, but I’ve seen that has now made its way into its own thread here too :) 

On 6/6/2019 at 8:14 PM, MrZigster said:

Yep. Email here too. 9am London. I won't be able to sleep the night before I reckon. Up well early. Don't want to miss a minute though.

9am - that is a good time 

I was over seeing a friend and went to check the WBC Pick up point ' just to make sure '

it should look like this but ' they are bloody building next to it ' those two photos ' are the same area '

and I don't think there will be room for 4 or 5 Coaches further up the road - let WBC know but they are over at a concert in Ireland so will be having a word with the WBC Council tomorrow evening as they have to get this sorted pronto .

so the pick up at Noon may not go as planned - they should have checked out the bloody area before booking the coaches.

OLD.thumb.jpg.f5ed368fff92fd74bda49d7f3bbb7eba.jpg

new-1.thumb.jpg.da136f6e20767321de28d97660cbd0c3.jpg

40 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Seems to have gone very quiet on here and the facebook page - the calm before the storm!

Calm before the storm!  It's raining cats & dogs here and forecast the same for the rest of the week.
Let's hope we won't need waders & wet suits like 2016! ?‍♂️

On 09 June 2019 at 10:04 AM, glasto-worker said:

9am - that is a good time

OLD.thumb.jpg.f5ed368fff92fd74bda49d7f3bbb7eba.jpg

new-1.thumb.jpg.da136f6e20767321de28d97660cbd0c3.jpg

Nay, nay and thrice nay. I am not a morning person. What was I thinking? (rhetorical question. It was, "Don't want to miss a minute" wasnt it).

8 hours ago, Halfspin said:

Calm before the storm!  It's raining cats & dogs here and forecast the same for the rest of the week.
Let's hope we won't need waders & wet suits like 2016! ?‍♂️

2016 is one of my favourite Glastonburys ever (long story).

Third time working but first time having to use the "designated" Shelter transport (also, long story).

Knew about the ground conditions ahead so boarded the train in my wellies to some well strange looks from fellow commuters (think I went for 10am that year). And, typing that, I've just remembered that it was a replacement bus for the first three or four stops that year.

Just now, awatson9898 said:

Does anyone remember what the limit was for bringing stuff? I know space on the coach is limited so trying to keep it down to:

Rucksack

Holdall

Chair

Tent

If people think thats too much then Ill have to ditch the chair

I’ll be clipping my chair and tent to my big bag and then just having a normal rucksack with me at my seat on the coach.