Shelter Glastonbury

marathonsteve

No rant apology necessary! I’m coming from Peterborough so it’s a major commuter train, if I get in early enough I can get an “advance” ticket which gets me on the fast train for the equivalent of an off peak price and would be ideal. They have limited advance tickets though so I was just wondering if requesting a particular coach was a guarantee of going at that time or if they often have to juggle people around and might not accept the time I’ve asked for.

i don’t think your problem is unique to that network for what it’s worth, in my experience all train companies are shite, it’s just a matter of degrees!

I can also take your point about the training, I’ve not worked for shelter before so have no problem attending, but I do have over 20 years of bar experience and 15 years as a licensee so I’m hoping it’s not too egg-sucky! Given that you’ve done it in the past I can understand how frustrating that must be! 

Big picture though, we’re going to be at glasto so it’ll all be worth it in the end!

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Where are they cheap please?

This whole "cheaper if booked in advance" would appear to be a myth when it comes to Southeastern. Honestly I spent over two hours mucking about with different combinations of times and railcards for various journeys a couple of days ago and came to the conclusion that I'm not going to benefit from getting a railcard and if I want to get an early bus from Kings Cross it's an extra £32 for a not off peak train. Anything off peak will be skin of the teeth cutting it fine time wise.

And I'm really quite bitter that I have to go the training for a third time. That'll work out over thirty quid off peak return plus the underground (yeah, yeah I know I could get a coach, but that would add about an extra four hours to the travel time of what is already pretty much a full day).

Sorry for the rant.

To answer your question: I don't think Shelter/Avalon will change their timings. Rail companies on the other hand are a rule unto themselves.

Why have you got to go for training for the third time ? or maybe I have missed something here

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

And I'm really quite bitter that I have to go the training for a third time. That'll work out over thirty quid off peak return plus the underground (yeah, yeah I know I could get a coach, but that would add about an extra four hours to the travel time of what is already pretty much a full day).

Sorry for the rant.

so I take it you have now heard from Shelter/Avalon - I know its a pain in the arse about the training - will be in touch closer to the event and we can sort out a meet.

My Master plan has been screwed - Kate was going to give me a lift in her car but by sods law she has a intake of 90 new Probation officer's on the Monday so she has decided not to do Glasto this year so will have to catch the Crew Coach on the Tuesday - I am working on arranging a buggy to lift me up as ' they claim ' the Coach this year will be dropping us near to Gate A and our Crew site is next to Gate D so there is no way will I be able to walk that distance - the WBC are aware about this but just in case I will be speaking to one of the Production team next Friday { as I am part of the WBC delegation next weekend over near Dublin } as we are staying in the same Hotel 

14 hours ago, LadyP said:

No rant apology necessary! I’m coming from Peterborough so it’s a major commuter train, if I get in early enough I can get an “advance” ticket which gets me on the fast train for the equivalent of an off peak price and would be ideal. They have limited advance tickets though so I was just wondering if requesting a particular coach was a guarantee of going at that time or if they often have to juggle people around and might not accept the time I’ve asked for.

i don’t think your problem is unique to that network for what it’s worth, in my experience all train companies are shite, it’s just a matter of degrees!

I can also take your point about the training, I’ve not worked for shelter before so have no problem attending, but I do have over 20 years of bar experience and 15 years as a licensee so I’m hoping it’s not too egg-sucky! Given that you’ve done it in the past I can understand how frustrating that must be!

Big picture though, we’re going to be at glasto so it’ll all be worth it in the end!

From previous experience I think that the coach you request is the coach you will be placed on.

Shifts and crews etc. are handed out on the coach so I imagine that they want you on the bus that has your shift details on it. A few people inevitably miss their alloted bus and that causes said people loads of hassle when they do rock up as they have to then hunt around for said details. I'm sure some people deliberately "miss" their bus as they would rather drive themselves. I do get that. I've previously argued (successfully) with A/S about "why can't I take my car? Special needs?" etc. but am now of the opinion that it is way less hassle to just comply ;)

Ditto me with bar experience. Though not a licensee I started bar work as soon as I was old enough and did about thirteen years on and off (apart form glasto it's very much a past life). Busy as it gets places. Like serving a football terrace I like to equate it to.

Sorry to inform you. But. I think you may find the training a bit egg sucky. Challenge 25. Don't serve drunk/otherwise inebriated people and keep a record of said refusals. Remember the name of the person on The Licence in case the council come 'round asking. Any tips you're offered go into the charity bucket. Stand up straight. Don't steal. Don't do drugs. Smile. Etc, etc. If you've not done a festival before there is a lot of advise on that. The only thing that may have changed a bit is the prevalence of contactless payment these days, but how hard is that? Here's a machine. Wave your plastic at it. Job done.

Big picture is correct. Hey. It's a day in London. I quite like London. Must look to see if there's anything touristy near Old Street.

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

so I take it you have now heard from Shelter/Avalon - I know its a pain in the arse about the training - will be in touch closer to the event and we can sort out a meet.

My Master plan has been screwed - Kate was going to give me a lift in her car but by sods law she has a intake of 90 new Probation officer's on the Monday so she has decided not to do Glasto this year so will have to catch the Crew Coach on the Tuesday - I am working on arranging a buggy to lift me up as ' they claim ' the Coach this year will be dropping us near to Gate A and our Crew site is next to Gate D so there is no way will I be able to walk that distance - the WBC are aware about this but just in case I will be speaking to one of the Production team next Friday { as I am part of the WBC delegation next weekend over near Dublin } as we are staying in the same Hotel

Bread & Roses on the Tuesday again? Or I'll come to The Solstice bar if you can't get around much?

Sorry to hear about your transport conundrum and continuing mobility issues. Best laid plans... eh? As I keep saying to my Mum, "Have you considered getting a mobility scooter?". I thought they'd be moped prices but they're gettable for three figures. The years you've put in I think they should be providing one for you (though they're probably only a good idea if it's a dry one). You managed Stratford Stadium and that is infamously a bit of a bugger to get to and even harder to get out of ;).

Have fun in Ireland.

58 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Bread & Roses on the Tuesday again? Or I'll come to The Solstice bar if you can't get around much?

Sorry to hear about your transport conundrum and continuing mobility issues. Best laid plans... eh? As I keep saying to my Mum, "Have you considered getting a mobility scooter?". I thought they'd be moped prices but they're gettable for three figures. The years you've put in I think they should be providing one for you (though they're probably only a good idea if it's a dry one). You managed Stratford Stadium and that is infamously a bit of a bugger to get to and even harder to get out of ;).

Have fun in Ireland.

I would imagine the Bread & Roses on the Tuesday - I am working on the WBC Council to change the drop off point as they used to drive to Park Farm { two photos next to Park Farm }  and really if they want to go though all the checking of bags then they can do that and then load the coach back up again and drive up there - The Council was unaware about the change { as only in 2017 were they left stranded at the bus station } but that staff manager has been replaced - even if I did not have the artery bypass I would struggle to get my Camping gear up that distance and if its hot then I doubt they will all make it { even worse if its muddy } - one way or the other I will get something sorted { I am a man of simple tastes something like the bottom photo would do me fine } - Be sure to send the new Avalon/shelter map and I will see you in June { assuming I am not shot in Ireland because of my Surname }2010-wbc-10.thumb.jpg.b95ea31351182f4d45b05c1e707b71f5.jpg2010-wbc-11.thumb.jpg.4310e53b74dcaaa6181f79aed25cbb34.jpg2011-wbc-105.thumb.jpg.b3c0b922803ce7965a89880c176eca0e.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

From previous experience I think that the coach you request is the coach you will be placed on.

Shifts and crews etc. are handed out on the coach so I imagine that they want you on the bus that has your shift details on it. A few people inevitably miss their alloted bus and that causes said people loads of hassle when they do rock up as they have to then hunt around for said details. I'm sure some people deliberately "miss" their bus as they would rather drive themselves. I do get that. I've previously argued (successfully) with A/S about "why can't I take my car? Special needs?" etc. but am now of the opinion that it is way less hassle to just comply ;)

Ditto me with bar experience. Though not a licensee I started bar work as soon as I was old enough and did about thirteen years on and off (apart form glasto it's very much a past life). Busy as it gets places. Like serving a football terrace I like to equate it to.

Sorry to inform you. But. I think you may find the training a bit egg sucky. Challenge 25. Don't serve drunk/otherwise inebriated people and keep a record of said refusals. Remember the name of the person on The Licence in case the council come 'round asking. Any tips you're offered go into the charity bucket. Stand up straight. Don't steal. Don't do drugs. Smile. Etc, etc. If you've not done a festival before there is a lot of advise on that. The only thing that may have changed a bit is the prevalence of contactless payment these days, but how hard is that? Here's a machine. Wave your plastic at it. Job done.

Big picture is correct. Hey. It's a day in London. I quite like London. Must look to see if there's anything touristy near Old Street.

Thanks for this, I’ll take a punt and book the trains. I look forward to being taught how to smile at a customer and avoid being off my face during a shift, I’ve mastered it for most of the past 20 years but hey, I might learn something.

To be honest I’m just delighted to not be one of the resale crew, still trying for friends tomorrow but this is a small price to pay to not be suffering their stress.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:36 PM, LadyP said:

If you are a ' Personal Licence Holder ' then you would be wise to let Avalon/Shelter know this as you may end up with a paid job !!!! perhaps not this year but ' they will be chasing you down for Glasto 2020 '

I believe that Jeannie McTavish has been doing some of the training and she works for ' Avalon Bars ' and she will do the rest.

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

If you are a ' Personal Licence Holder ' then you would be wise to let Avalon/Shelter know this as you may end up with a paid job !!!! perhaps not this year but ' they will be chasing you down for Glasto 2020 '

Well that’s good to know! Yep I’ve had a PL since day 1, was previously on a justices license so got grandfathered over when the new licensing act came in. I’ll let them know, thanks! 

2 hours ago, LadyP said:

Well that’s good to know! Yep I’ve had a PL since day 1, was previously on a justices license so got grandfathered over when the new licensing act came in. I’ll let them know, thanks! 

at this stage your dealing with Shelter but when Avalon clicks in that is the time to tell them - I would be surprised if they keep you as a server even if its only for a few hours but next year - they will be chasing you.Be sure to have a print out of all your details as it saves a lot of messing about.I have never worked for Avalon but when they broke away from the WBC they asked me to become a Tent Manager but as I started with the WBC I will remain with the WBC until I retire.I will be dropping in to see a few Tent Managers from Avalon this year as we still keep in touch.They are very well organised - the new Avalon crew camp is very close to where my first Crew camp was ' 30 years ago ' although I do think its a bit larger this year. You should enjoy it.

42 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

at this stage your dealing with Shelter but when Avalon clicks in that is the time to tell them - I would be surprised if they keep you as a server even if its only for a few hours but next year - they will be chasing you.Be sure to have a print out of all your details as it saves a lot of messing about.I have never worked for Avalon but when they broke away from the WBC they asked me to become a Tent Manager but as I started with the WBC I will remain with the WBC until I retire.I will be dropping in to see a few Tent Managers from Avalon this year as we still keep in touch.They are very well organised - the new Avalon crew camp is very close to where my first Crew camp was ' 30 years ago ' although I do think its a bit larger this year. You should enjoy it.

This is great thanks, I’m really looking forward to it, not often I get my hands dirty on a bar these days so it’ll be good to get back to my roots!

Where is the crew camp likely to be? Last time I worked was a stewarding job so we were north east by gate B, is the Avalon camp elsewhere?

thanks for all the info!

3 hours ago, LadyP said:

This is great thanks, I’m really looking forward to it, not often I get my hands dirty on a bar these days so it’ll be good to get back to my roots!

Where is the crew camp likely to be? Last time I worked was a stewarding job so we were north east by gate B, is the Avalon camp elsewhere?

thanks for all the info!

The Avalon directors would not be happy if I gave the exact location { due to security reasons }

but it will be in the Avalon bar map which may or may not be handed out at the training day.

and for all I know they may have changed again { The WBC has used 8 Crew camps { may even be 9 } since I started }

but if it has not moved it should be south of Gate C - now that area has changed drastically since I was last there so I would doubt its as quiet as it used to be.

I was told it was now outside the wall - don't panic ' if it is its only feet from it '

---------

Most of the Bars they now run used to be WBC bars in the past and they vary a fair bit - some can be quiet and some can be hectic - its certainly not like working in a normal Pub as most of the time you don't have time to chat to people.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, gooner1990 said:

I have today received an email confirming my training date & time and coach departure point & time.

I guess that's the Bristol crowd sorted then.

Still waiting to hear here (requested London 09:00am coach and Thursday 16th 5pm training).

A fortnight to go...

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Still waiting to hear here (requested London 09:00am coach and Thursday 16th 5pm training).

A fortnight to go...

9am London and Thursday 5pm for me too!

Could anyone shed insight of what to expect from the training? (Sorry if its already in here, mustve missed it)

21 minutes ago, awatson9898 said:

Could anyone shed insight of what to expect from the training? (Sorry if its already in here, mustve missed it)

Its mainly common sense stuff what working in a bar entails what you are responsible for, who you can serve and who you can't, mystery shoppers, your camping arrangements where you get the coach. Ask as many questions as you can if you are unsure about any aspects of it.

27 minutes ago, awatson9898 said:

Hopefully see you in a fortnight then.

For insight re training etc. see the end of my reply to @LadyP towards the top of this page... (plus they'll give you the theory on how to use a multi pump pint dispenser).

35 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Hopefully see you in a fortnight then.

For insight re training etc. see the end of my reply to @LadyP towards the top of this page... (plus they'll give you the theory on how to use a multi pump pint dispenser).

Ah yes I forgot about that wondrous bit of equipment. If there are two of you, one working the pump and one working the glasses its like poetry in motion. If there is enough staff that is.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

A fortnight to go...

Yep!

shame the training wasn’t offered in Bristol as well! Ho hum.

14 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Is there any sort of list of which bars Avalon run? 

Just want to see where I am potentially working!

Probably not, and it changes from year to year anyway - but as a general rule of thumb -

WBC tend to run the high volume bars mostly near the main stages/markets
Refresh West have the bars in Arcadia and Shangri La
Places like Brothers, Cider Bus, etc run their own
Avalon have the bulk of the rest