Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AAlex

This is Tomorrow 2019

Recommended Posts

Never heard of this before but Foals might convince me to make a trip up North. Anyone been before and know if it’s just one stage? Noticed Saturday has ‘Many More TBA’ and Friday doesn’t mention anything. 

 

96BAE0FC-5407-46BD-9F54-9FAD284E02F0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it had “mixed” reviews last year with issues around stewarding and taking bags in. New location though this year apparently. I imagine they’ll be opportunities to see most of those acts a bit nearer to home for me. Foals in the frame for APE now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, John L said:

Think it had “mixed” reviews last year with issues around stewarding and taking bags in. New location though this year apparently. I imagine they’ll be opportunities to see most of those acts a bit nearer to home for me. Foals in the frame for APE now?  

Yeah it's at Exhibition Park rather than Spillers Wharf, neither of those mean anything to me but Exhibition Park looks to be basically in the centre which is always good for hotels. I don't know what it means for Foals, I'd guess if they're doing an outdoor one day show up North it's not too much of a stretch to think they'll do one down South too.

I think I judged this just because I've never heard of it but just seen they had Thirty Seconds to Mars last year too, which seems like a big get for a festival in it's first year. That's why I'm asking about stages really because the undercards not exactly grabbing me, enough to fill an afternoon but not many I'd go out of my way to see normally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Is Tomorrow is operated by SSD Concerts that also runs Hit the North and Live from Times Square (Newcastle) They also manage venues in Newcastle - Think Tank?, Riverside, Northumbria Institute... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Looks like there’s a Sunday on the way too...

 

That third headliner could be a massive statement for this festival. Names like Biffy and The Prodigy would probably be enough, but even Kasabian or Florence don't seem far-fetched.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That third headliner could be a massive statement for this festival. Names like Biffy and The Prodigy would probably be enough, but even Kasabian or Florence don't seem far-fetched.

Yeah it’s a difficult/exciting one to call for next year, with these getting Foals/Noel, Boardmasters getting Florence, seems like these types of festivals basically have their pick of who’s not doing Glasto, IOW and R&L... hopefully you’re right and it’s a big name, if they’re saving them for the Sunday/to be announced last I can’t see why not. 

Awkward one though because I was all set to get two day tickets tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for the Catfish and the Bottlemen day last year. It was decent value for money at £40 a ticket considering the acts that were there but the organisation was poor. Only time there weren't huge queues to get a beer was when Catfish started and by then you couldn't get anywhere near the stage really. Spillers Wharf, the site last year, is basically a big car park but as you got closer to the stage the crowd was funnelled in a bit so was very crowded. I didn't go to the 30STM day but friends who did said the attendance was pretty shocking.

 

I'm surprised it's on again this year but will be getting 3-day tickets tomorrow as Exhibition Park has a load more space, and if they're adding a third day I'm hoping they'll feel obliged to even out the headliners and book Florence. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, _JohnConnell said:

Went for the Catfish and the Bottlemen day last year. It was decent value for money at £40 a ticket considering the acts that were there but the organisation was poor. Only time there weren't huge queues to get a beer was when Catfish started and by then you couldn't get anywhere near the stage really. Spillers Wharf, the site last year, is basically a big car park but as you got closer to the stage the crowd was funnelled in a bit so was very crowded. I didn't go to the 30STM day but friends who did said the attendance was pretty shocking. 

 

I'm surprised it's on again this year but will be getting 3-day tickets tomorrow as Exhibition Park has a load more space, and if they're adding a third day I'm hoping they'll feel obliged to even out the headliners and book Florence. 

Good to hear from someone who went, would you say the new site could comfortably hold multiple stages? It says 'MANY MORE ACTS TBA' but there's literally nothing on the website, so don't know if that refers to Sundays acts or that there'll be 2-3 stages.

Guess it's hard to tell with a move to a new site, seems more of a 'festival' this time whereas wasn't it essentially a Catfish/30TSM outdoor gig this year with 2-3 acts supporting? So hopefully that'll mean there's a bit more thought put into the organisation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AAlex said:

Good to hear from someone who went, would you say the new site could comfortably hold multiple stages? It says 'MANY MORE ACTS TBA' but there's literally nothing on the website, so don't know if that refers to Sundays acts or that there'll be 2-3 stages.

Guess it's hard to tell with a move to a new site, seems more of a 'festival' this time whereas wasn't it essentially a Catfish/30TSM outdoor gig this year with 2-3 acts supporting? So hopefully that'll mean there's a bit more thought put into the organisation.

It's big enough to hold two or MAX three stages without too much sound getting mixed up between stages. I could only see them having problems if they have as many food vendors as they did last year - there were way too many, and it was a big of a waste of space that could have been otherwise used to even out the crowd.

 

I'm sure Exhibition Park actually usually has Newcastle Pride concerts on in the summer, or at least I think it did until a few years ago, so it's likely to be more suitable.

 

Last year the music started at about 5pm and ran until 10.30/11. They did quite well to pack in so much in that space of time but I almost wonder whether they'll start earlier this year rather than having several stages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, _JohnConnell said:

It's big enough to hold two or MAX three stages without too much sound getting mixed up between stages. I could only see them having problems if they have as many food vendors as they did last year - there were way too many, and it was a big of a waste of space that could have been otherwise used to even out the crowd.

 

I'm sure Exhibition Park actually usually has Newcastle Pride concerts on in the summer, or at least I think it did until a few years ago, so it's likely to be more suitable.

 

Last year the music started at about 5pm and ran until 10.30/11. They did quite well to pack in so much in that space of time but I almost wonder whether they'll start earlier this year rather than having several stages.

I’m going there’s at least two because with 7/8 acts each day that’s probably all we’re getting if it’s just a main stage. 

Hard to tell on start time too because the ticket link says Friday 16:00 on the 3 day ticket and Friday 18:00 on the Friday day ticket 😂 hopefully the website will have more than a poster and a link to buy tickets soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ended up with a 3 day ticket, £45 more than a two day one which if that’s a discount on buying days separately like the two day is Sunday will be at least as expensive as Noel. 

I wonder if they could get someone rumoured for All Points East like BMTH, trying not to get my hopes up too much for when it ends up being The Kooks. Can rule out Ashcroft given that he’ll be headlining Neighbourhood that day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 6:33 PM, AAlex said:

Ended up with a 3 day ticket, £45 more than a two day one which if that’s a discount on buying days separately like the two day is Sunday will be at least as expensive as Noel. 

I wonder if they could get someone rumoured for All Points East like BMTH, trying not to get my hopes up too much for when it ends up being The Kooks. Can rule out Ashcroft given that he’ll be headlining Neighbourhood that day. 

On the subject of Neighbourhood, possibly George Ezra headlining the Sunday here after headlining Neighbourhood on the Saturday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AldoTVAOF said:

On the subject of Neighbourhood, possibly George Ezra headlining the Sunday here after headlining Neighbourhood on the Saturday?

It would seem strange to me having him headline two festivals the same weekend relatively close to each other, maybe if it was a London date already announced it would make it more likely, or maybe it doesn't matter at all and he'll be announced shortly :lol:

I don't think it would be a particularly good booking if it is him though, as big as he is/getting, there must be some people already making a trip to Warrington that are closer to Newcastle, and even then Neighbourhood still hasn't sold out after a month when Noel/Courteeners sold it out within half an hour last year, which to me shows you the type of acts that do well at these sort of festivals.

I really don't know who to suggest, Ashcrofts at Neighbourhood, Manics are in Edinburgh... Courteeners? They've already sold their Heaton Park date out so it's not like they need to wait for anything. I hope it's not Stereophonics, they've done just about every mid sized festival in the country the past 2-3 years so would be a bit of an anti climax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AldoTVAOF said:

On the subject of Neighbourhood, possibly George Ezra headlining the Sunday here after headlining Neighbourhood on the Saturday?

Couldn't see George Ezra - he plays the MetroRadio Arena in March and I think playing Newcastle two months after that would be too soon.

I honestly still think it'll be a female act, just don't know who. Would love it to be Florence...  or someone like Wolf Alice? Female fronted at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, _JohnConnell said:

Couldn't see George Ezra - he plays the MetroRadio Arena in March and I think playing Newcastle two months after that would be too soon.

I honestly still think it'll be a female act, just don't know who. Would love it to be Florence...  or someone like Wolf Alice? Female fronted at least. 

If it's going to be a day as expensive as Noel's there's only really Florence from female fronted bands I can see being big enough, maybe The XX too but they don't have any dates for next year. Wolf Alice don't seem big enough to me to go alongside Foals and Noel Gallagher especially on arguably the best of the three days (bank holiday Sunday), would like to see them there subbing though.

I think Florence might be a decent shout, other than that Bring Me The Horizon, Royal Blood, Biffy and Phonics seem like contenders to me (IF Royal Blood end up announcing anything, that is).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AAlex said:

If it's going to be a day as expensive as Noel's there's only really Florence from female fronted bands I can see being big enough, maybe The XX too but they don't have any dates for next year. Wolf Alice don't seem big enough to me to go alongside Foals and Noel Gallagher especially on arguably the best of the three days (bank holiday Sunday), would like to see them there subbing though.

I think Florence might be a decent shout, other than that Bring Me The Horizon, Royal Blood, Biffy and Phonics seem like contenders to me (IF Royal Blood end up announcing anything, that is).

Bring Me are in London the weekend after for APE so could be in for a shout, didn't come up to the North East on this tour either so seem possible. Royal Blood would be huge, might be too optimistic but I didn't expect Foals so who knows. Biffy would be the ideal one for me, feel like they could do it too.

Got my ticket for Foals the other week and can't wait, but glad they've moved it from Spillers Wharf. Catfish last year was a complete shitshow in terms of organisation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Bring Me are in London the weekend after for APE so could be in for a shout, didn't come up to the North East on this tour either so seem possible. Royal Blood would be huge, might be too optimistic but I didn't expect Foals so who knows. Biffy would be the ideal one for me, feel like they could do it too.

Got my ticket for Foals the other week and can't wait, but glad they've moved it from Spillers Wharf. Catfish last year was a complete shitshow in terms of organisation.

Yeah to be honest I only included royal blood because Foals are there, normally you’d expect a ‘current’ act with a new album on the way and on the incline to be nowhere near something like this, but if one can be no reason another can’t! 

Biffy seems to make sense, couldn’t really be closer to Scotland without being Scotland either so it should sell pretty well if it is them. Personally I’d prefer for BMTH, but so long as it’s someone I can actually bear to stand and watch (I have a 3 day ticket) I don’t mind too much. 

Are you of a similar opinion to the other guy on this thread that Spillers Wharf could hold at least 2 stages? I’m hoping so cause the 7-8 acts on the Saturday/Sunday is probably our lot already if it’s just on stage? I was hoping for a couple more established names each day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AAlex said:

Yeah to be honest I only included royal blood because Foals are there, normally you’d expect a ‘current’ act with a new album on the way and on the incline to be nowhere near something like this, but if one can be no reason another can’t! 

Biffy seems to make sense, couldn’t really be closer to Scotland without being Scotland either so it should sell pretty well if it is them. Personally I’d prefer for BMTH, but so long as it’s someone I can actually bear to stand and watch (I have a 3 day ticket) I don’t mind too much. 

Are you of a similar opinion to the other guy on this thread that Spillers Wharf could hold at least 2 stages? I’m hoping so cause the 7-8 acts on the Saturday/Sunday is probably our lot already if it’s just on stage? I was hoping for a couple more established names each day. 

Yeah the new site probably could (whether they should do is another question). Not sure what the start times are gonna be as they're different on different tickets so possibly not much more to announce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically, I'd say there won't be any notable additions to the current line ups. Looking at the posters I've also just noticed that while it says 'many more tba' on Saturdays billing it doesn't say the same on the Foals poster.

We've got our three day tickets regardless. In an ideal world I would have The Chemical Brothers there for a bank holiday Sunday piss-up but I'm not too fussed either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about Tame Impala? Admittedly it seems a stretch even suggesting them but they're in Europe the weekend after, probably would get the same spot at a major festival as Noel or Foals, played Citadel last year (at 25,000 must be similiar to next year's capacity) and they got Thirty Seconds to Mars last year when it was basically an unknown festival.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would kill for Tame Impala! Although, I honestly think the 1975 are in with a shot of playing, the lead singer has a huge attachment to Newcastle (even got a tattoo, plus strong family ties and supports NUFC) and yet they aren't playing here on their upcoming tour... slightly odd since they play here every time they've toured iirc 

Also I went last year, so any questions can be directed my way. I personally had no problems with security; the layout was quite strange despite it being a big carpark. The pissing rain over the first acts like Sam Fender and Little Comets meant a) we stayed in the pub instead of seeing them and b) huge puddles in the dips and pot holes in the standing area. No one's fault but obviously fields and grass (like exhibition park) are a lot better when it comes to shitty weather.

With it moving to a far superior venue and having an extra day I am super excited we finally have a decent festival that's able to pull big acts. Thirty Seconds To Mars last year was a massive shock to everyone here but sadly the fanbase in the toon wasn't there, myself included, but I could appreciate the money that would have been spent and it showed the aspirations of the festival and what they wanted to do in the first year alone. To be honest, I'd be surprised if we don't see a camping version of the festival crop up somewhere in Newcastle in the coming years as Exhibition Park itself is bloody huge and could possibly fit a decent amount of tents somewhere - but if not that there are plenty of other locations relatively close to the centre that would be capable of accommodating this. It fills a nice gap up North for those (like me) who are throughly unimpressed by what Leeds Festival has to offer and if we could camp I reckon it could be contender to midsize/big festivals in the North (which to be fair there is a lack of)

Edited by RUMINE
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also talking about multiple stages - I honestly don't think Spiller's Wharf could have had a second stage, Exhibition Park could do though realistically, so long as bands didn't overlap as I think sound clashing could easily be an issue.

With the more acts issue - this poster has the "More TBA" text across the two days. This could be a good sign to a bigger undercard for each day being added, however it could also just be referencing the unannounced third day that is on the ticket website. Depends if they are still wanting to treat them as three separate outdoor gigs like last years two shows were marketed as OR if they want it to seem more like a festival like this years marketing sort of looks like. A second stage (possibly with just local acts like The Pale White and the possibility of Sam Fender returning for example) would deffo help cement it as a festival.

47381930_1927082837599690_3240326973976739840_n.jpg

Edited by RUMINE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×