Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think the "best goalkeeper in the world" has to be better at saving penalties, it cant just be written off as an irrelevant skill.  I stand by my view that De Gea shouldn't be given that title purely because of premiership performances

I agree.

as I said before the shoot out yesterday, he’s woeful at pens. Although there are other elements of his goalkeeping, that should perhaps stop him being the best in the world. 

For example he doesn’t organise the defence very well, not vocal and his distribution is sometimes wanting.

That being said amazing shot stopper though. 

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think the "best goalkeeper in the world" has to be better at saving penalties, it cant just be written off as an irrelevant skill.  I stand by my view that De Gea shouldn't be given that title purely because of premiership performances

He was great in Europe aswell. 

He has saved 30%ish of pens in his career. The same as Neuer and Buffon but less than Caballero, Karius and Mignolet in the Prem. Donnarumma has saved 40% but my old gran is a better keeper than him. 

Its an odd one. Some keepers are just better at it. But even with a 20% swing of saving/not saving it only amounts to a couple of goals a season. Dave saves Utd that weekly at times. 

But yeah, he does appear to shrink when facing a peno. 

Edited by The Nal

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

He has saved 30%ish of pens in his career. The same as Neuer and Buffon but less than Caballero, Karius and Mignolet in the Prem. Donnarumma has saved 40% but my old gran is a better keeper than him. 

Its an odd one. Some keepers are just better at it. But even with a 20% swing of saving/not saving it only amounts to a couple of goals a season. Dave saves Utd that weekly at times. 

Where you get 30% from? Going by just his Utd career, he’s faced 26 pens and saved 5.

Edited by thetime

Just now, thetime said:

Where you get 30% from? 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/stats-who-best-penalty-saving-goalkeeper-europe-diego-alves-valencia

Although just noticed its 2 years old and just saw this.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/david-de-gea/elfmeterstatistik/spieler/59377

Saved 11 from 44 which is 25%. Basically hasn't saved a peno in over 2 years. None of the last 10. Not including the 4 from the shootout yesterday. So none of his last 14. 

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wonder if the Belgains are now thinking "God, what have we done?" They'd be clear favourites to reach the final if they were on that side of the draw instead of us.

Maybe, but I would not be as strong in that conviction using the words "clear favorites". Croatia, irrespective of last nights performance, would still be up there with them and are already in the quarters.........

Its pretty interesting the way the draw has unfolded, but is there an argument to making the knockout stages seeded, or even drawn blindly ie put all teams into a hat an pick em out at random to play each other at each stage of the tournament? I dont know if I like these set pathways in tournament football........

46 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Maybe, but I would not be as strong in that conviction using the words "clear favorites". Croatia, irrespective of last nights performance, would still be up there with them and are already in the quarters.........

Its pretty interesting the way the draw has unfolded, but is there an argument to making the knockout stages seeded, or even drawn blindly ie put all teams into a hat an pick em out at random to play each other at each stage of the tournament? I dont know if I like these set pathways in tournament football........

A random draw would be more fun, but would present a logistical nightmare for teams and supporters, especially in a country as big as Russia.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Of course not every penalty save is of equal value, if your 3-0 up in a game for example it doesnt really matter if you save or not.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A random draw would be more fun, but would present a logistical nightmare for teams and supporters, especially in a country as big as Russia.

You would probably have to add on 2 weeks to accommodate  a random draw. This time it has favoured England, other times it favours other teams. The world cup by its nature is not fair, you have to take the luck when it comes your way. 

16 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

You would probably have to add on 2 weeks to accommodate  a random draw. This time it has favoured England, other times it favours other teams. The world cup by its nature is not fair, you have to take the luck when it comes your way. 

Yup, it could only be done if all of the host cities/grounds were close to each other.

Hypothetically if England were to host it then you could have a random draws for the knockouts if all matches were played in London - Wembley, Emirates, WHL, Stamford Bridge and the London Stadium, but then that would screw the rest of the country over.

2 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Not really. If you mean, like, the group winners play group runners-up at random then it wouldn't look much different. What we're seeing now just seems to be the result of particular teams not qualifying in the first place.