Lineup 2020

randlfan

8 minutes ago, frontsidecab said:

I know they’re not around at the minute, there’s really no excuse to have never booked Florence + The Machine to headline or Paramore since After Laughter either

Florence has been out of the question for years and Paramore appear to be on hiatus with Hayley doing her solo stuff.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I reckon a lot of acts are just not around late summer. Makes sense why all the August festivals have gone balls to the wall to get rage. Imagine if Rage continued as they were and didn’t plan to come to Europe in 2020? I honestly reckon Courteeners would have headlined 

Rage have largely saved this lineup for me. Can't even begin to think how i'd be feeling if Courteeners had their spot instead.

1 minute ago, jumperofftheshelf said:

Migos subheadlining Leeds in 2020 when they could’ve booked Lizzo or Dua Lipa or another woman to fill that slot is criminal

Not really criminal? Male or Female who cares what gender they are, theyre an artist at the end of the day. Men shouldnt be outed for being all over the lineup, and women shouldnt be expected to be on the lineup purely because theyre a women? Not saying Lizzo or Dua Lipa dont deserve that slot, but they cant just be expected to get a good slot because theyre women, it should be about the popularity of thier music.

Small prediction of some sizeable acts I could still see getting added to the lineup:

Hayley Williams on the Friday (Hayley Williams > Mabel > All Time Low > TDCC > Migos > Stormzy)

Wolf Alice on the Saturday (The Maine > Aitch > D-Block Europe > Wolf Alice > Gerry Cinnamon > LG)

Limp Bizkit on the Sunday (Tom Grennan > Slowthai > Limp Bizkit > RTJ > Courteeners > RATM)

22 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

Haven't actually heard his stuff but am surprised he's so low on the bill. Am I not right in saying that tent will be packed?

it’s a bit hit and miss, musically he is dreadful but he has a big online presence. His booking equates the same level of humour as Big Shaq.

1 minute ago, theesundayroast said:

Rage have largely saved this lineup for me. Can't even begin to think how i'd be feeling if Courteeners had their spot instead.

Rage originally had no plans to tour Europe. 

Festival Republic must have given them an offer they couldn’t refuse!

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Small prediction of some sizeable acts I could still see getting added to the lineup:

Hayley Williams on the Friday (Hayley Williams > Mabel > All Time Low > TDCC > Migos > Stormzy)

Wolf Alice on the Saturday (The Maine > Aitch > D-Block Europe > Wolf Alice > Gerry Cinnamon > LG)

Limp Bizkit on the Sunday (Tom Grennan > Slowthai > Limp Bizkit > RTJ > Courteeners > RATM)

I think Hayley Williams and Wolf Alice are must bookings, the lack of women is embarrassing, I might finally agree with Lily Allen for once

15 minutes ago, heartsink said:

Agreed but that’s how it use to go down years ago and the tickets would sell out within an hour of the line up dropping 

it makes sense to have a few bands artists of the same calibre to build the atmosphere on the stage that day and get every one pumped! That’s why majority of the higher slots these days don’t seem as great as they could of been because of poor misplacement of the acts 

Migos will set it up for Stormzy with all their pyro etc. TDCC have some bangers. 

Gerry will light it up for LG. 

Courteeners get a massive crowd at Leeds and energise the crowd tremendously. Then to have slowthai and RTJ before that.  

I agree, some bands could be placed better, but I don't think that is to the detriment of the festival. The names high up will be big draws and the days will flow nicely once their announced in full, they nearly always do. 

Just now, TOMHAMPTON said:

I think Hayley Williams and Wolf Alice are must bookings, the lack of women is embarrassing, I might finally agree with Lily Allen for once

Yes there's a debate to be had around equality of outcome (not for this forum though lol), but if these artists aren't added it does start to look pretty poor. Not a fan of either, but do agree Lizzo would've been a better booking than MIGOS, especially after how poor they were last time they played.

I feel like they really need to decide what their stance on heavier rock is. Either book more and keep that audience coming or fuck it all off. Having one random heavy headliner and a fairly weak (in terms of band size at least) The Pit stage is a pointless middle ground given how many alternatives there are this summer.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

Yes there's a debate to be had around equality of outcome

Artists should be booked on thier popularity and quality, not on the fact theyre male and female. 

Dua Lipa doesnt have her following becuase shes a women, she has her following because she makes popular music. Much like Stormzy isnt popular because he is a bloke, he is popular because of the music he produces.

Edited by TG0000
  • Upvote 1

Just now, TG0000 said:

A

Artists should be booked on thier popularity and quality, not on the fact theyre male and female. 

Agree although there are plenty of popular female acts who are also of a very very good quality who look to have been ignored.

There is a shockingly low amount of Female acts on this one

3 minutes ago, escapehere said:

I feel like they really need to decide what their stance on heavier rock is. Either book more and keep that audience coming or fuck it all off. Having one random heavy headliner and a fairly weak (in terms of band size at least) The Pit stage is a pointless middle ground given how many alternatives there are this summer.

Hmm I think their stance on it nowadays is pretty straightforward tbh. They know now that bands like rage aren’t available every year and they get them once in every 5-10 years.

I see R&L as the festival now that might have a good lineup once a decade. 

Then again this isn’t a good lineup. It’s three good headliners.

Just now, theesundayroast said:

Agree although there are plenty of popular female acts who are also of a very very good quality who look to have been ignored.

There is a shockingly low amount of Female acts on this one

I agree with you, and im sure in years to come we could see the likes of Billie subbing or headlining, but im sure festival republic didnt avoid them because they were women, and im sure they didnt chose the acts they chose because they were men.

Just now, TG0000 said:

I agree with you, and im sure in years to come we could see the likes of Billie subbing or headlining, but im sure festival republic didnt avoid them because they were women, and im sure they didnt chose the acts they chose because they were men.

My main problem isn't so much the headliners but the lack further down the bill really. I'm sure the festival have stated that they're not partaking in the 50/50 goal because they believe it should be starting at the roots rather than giving smaller bands headline slots due to gender.

But in this sense, they aren't even doing that.

5 minutes ago, TG0000 said:

Dua Lipa doesnt have her following becuase shes a women, she has her following because she makes popular music. Much like Stormzy isnt popular because he is a bloke, he is popular because of the music he produces.

I said this debate wasnt for this forum but you left that bit off lol

I personally think there are a lot of female artists that should be on there, but they might be in the next announcement 

Just now, TG0000 said:

I mean they didn’t get Billie this year because it didn’t fit with her touring plans. If she was available I reckon they would have had her.

I do admit that there is a significant lack of big female names. As @theesundayroast has said though, this is no excuse for female acts lower down the bill.

However, the big female artists that could have been booked such as Billie, Lizzo, etc are just not touring late summer festivals.

I don’t know why the early summer festivals have become so popular with large acts, but it’s definitely noticeable now.

I reckon it’s because the May - July window for international acts nowadays is incredibly lucrative. It’s really common now for artists to do US tours in the late summer / autumn, and I reckon this stops loads of acts from playing festivals such as reading.