Lineup 2020

randlfan

1 hour ago, Samjones said:

Anyone reckon kasabian headlining next year, for some reason straight up cancelled the Leicester gig instead of postponing till next summer so maybe contractually exclusive to a festival in uk next summer?

I can see them headlining next year but it's not linked. It was a summer solstice gig as the solstice was on a weekend this year, just like the last time they did the solstice gig a few years back. Next year it's a Monday. 2025 is the next weekend summer solstice.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Well, if they had a small pool of headliners to choose from this year, this will certainly not be the case for 2021.

Dunno really. What if RATM have already agreed to headline download next year?

I personally think exclusives need to be loosened next year otherwise it’s just going to be a mess. If RATM are on the scene let them headline both reading and download. Who cares.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Could be, though I'm optimistic they'll do what Pearl Jam did and announce their whole tour is postponed by exactly a year.

Some of the festivals PJ were due to play at have already confirmed PJ will be on the 2021 lineup. Annoyingly, BST haven't yet! Praying they will be back there.

I imagine if RATM weren't booked for Download, this would be an option Melvin Benn would be keen to explore.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I personally think exclusives need to be loosened next year otherwise it’s just going to be a mess. If RATM are on the scene let them headline both reading and download. Who cares.

They will probably do America/Canada late summer next year, Likewise this summer when they were doing Europe late summer and America/Canada early summer.

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Ya know RATM aren't the only band in the world, right?

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well funnily enough the only band I give a shit about playing R&L is Rage

Good for you but the comment you were responding to was talking about how there'll potentially be an abundance of acts available next year, not about whether Rage will be there or not.

15 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Thanks, it's my AOTY so far for sure.

Yeah it’s class, deffo up there for me.

On the topic of Rage, they are literally my dream R&L headliner but if they’re not there next year then so be it. Unprecedented times, who knows what agreements have been made that will or won’t stay in place.

Fwiw, I’d think R&L would’ve seen the 90% of followers on social media that were unhappy with the booking and used this as an excuse to book someone else for next year and just have RATM play to more actual fans at Download. Would be sensible imo, dunno how likely that is obviously .

2 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Fwiw, I’d think R&L would’ve seen the 90% of followers on social media that were unhappy with the booking and used this as an excuse to book someone else for next year and just have RATM play to more actual fans at Download. Would be sensible imo, dunno how likely that is obviously .

Guess it depends how it was selling. Feel like it must have been selling the best of the three days, and if it was I reckon they'd ask them back if they're available. Melvin loves them and this could be the last chance for them to headline the festival so I don't think they'll just sack them off completely.

18 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I think it’ll be one of two extremes next year, same lineup or completely new one

I think it's fairly safe to say that it'll definitely be somewhere in the middle.

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Guess it depends how it was selling. Feel like it must have been selling the best of the three days, and if it was I reckon they'd ask them back if they're available. Melvin loves them and this could be the last chance for them to headline the festival so I don't think they'll just sack them off completely.

It actually says a lot when losing RATM for Reading festival and replacing with someone who fits with the rest would be a good thing. It really should be totally the opposite. I don't understand why they have gone to shit like they have when for two years running their best selling days were the heavier orientated.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't understand why they have gone to shit like they have when for two years running their best selling days were the heavier orientated.

It's probably just as heavy a day as the Kendrick day in 2018, if that's what you mean by the heavy orientated day in 2018. Especially when the full lineup is announced (which probably won't happen at this point), I bet they'd have added a couple of names to fill it out a bit more with some stuff for Rage fans.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

31 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It actually says a lot when losing RATM for Reading festival and replacing with someone who fits with the rest would be a good thing. It really should be totally the opposite. I don't understand why they have gone to shit like they have when for two years running their best selling days were the heavier orientated.

As you well know from experience, they sell day tickets to people who don't want to go for the whole weekend and want to get in and out. They are meant to appeal to people who don't vibe with the whole lineup. That's why heavier* days sell day tickets better - I can't imagine there are more than 15k day tickets per day at either site so it's not like those are the reason everyone's going.

*Also is Kendrick Lamar the heavier day in 2018? I don't think that was doing numbers because of Sum-41 tbh,

3 hours ago, TheWaters said:

Yeah it’s class, deffo up there for me.

On the topic of Rage, they are literally my dream R&L headliner but if they’re not there next year then so be it. Unprecedented times, who knows what agreements have been made that will or won’t stay in place.

I’m pretty sure that R+L don’t worry about social media reaction,otherwise they’d go insane seeing as every single line up they book gets slagged off to death and called the ‘worst line up eveerrrr’(and then promptly sells out)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

As you well know from experience, they sell day tickets to people who don't want to go for the whole weekend and want to get in and out. They are meant to appeal to people who don't vibe with the whole lineup. That's why heavier* days sell day tickets better - I can't imagine there are more than 15k day tickets per day at either site so it's not like those are the reason everyone's going.

*Also is Kendrick Lamar the heavier day in 2018? I don't think that was doing numbers because of Sum-41 tbh,

I was thinking more the fact they had the Pendulum reunion actually rather than Wolf Alice or Diplo meaning they catered for heavier options as well as Papa Roach and well Sum 41, Mike Shinoda and Skindred among them making up the heavier/alternative options and not everyone can play 2nd or 3rd down a lineup.

13 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

It's probably just as heavy a day as the Kendrick day in 2018, if that's what you mean by the heavy orientated day in 2018. Especially when the full lineup is announced (which probably won't happen at this point), I bet they'd have added a couple of names to fill it out a bit more with some stuff for Rage fans.

How do you work that out?, I'll give you IDLES but on the bigger stages it's full of pop and rap acts until The Subways. The Pit and The Lockup is a heavier stage for smaller acts so of course they will have features acts across all 3 days.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

How do you work that out?, I'll give you IDLES but on the bigger stages it's full of pop and rap acts until The Subways. The Pit and The Lockup is a heavier stage for smaller acts so of course they will have features acts across all 3 days.

We've only got a few more names across the main stages as we did at this point in 2018, so to compare the two I count 2 'heavy' acts across the two main stage in 2018 (Sum 41 & Pendulum) + I guess you could add Panic! and Deaf Havana making it 4. This year you've got Rage, The Subways, Idles and Vulpynes, also making it 4. I'd argue that you could definitely add RTJ to that as they largely appeal to the Rage crowd and you could make a case for Slowthai being similar too. You could also include Waterparks.

Like I said, we might not get any more names added this year so we might never know but I think there's a good chance an act like Limp Bizkit or someone similar could have been added around 4th to the main stage. Add 1 or 2 more acts lower down the Main and R1 stages and it'd end up being v similar to the 2018 Kendrick day imo.

reading2018.jpg

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

22 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

We've only got a few more names across the main stages as we did at this point in 2018, so to compare the two I count 2 'heavy' acts across the two main stage in 2018 (Sum 41 & Pendulum) + I guess you could add Panic! and Deaf Havana making it 4. This year you've got Rage, The Subways, Idles and Vulpynes, also making it 4. I'd argue that you could definitely add RTJ to that as they largely appeal to the Rage crowd and you could make a case for Slowthai being similar too. You could also include Waterparks.

Like I said, we might not get any more names added this year so we might never know but I think there's a good chance an act like Limp Bizkit or someone similar could have been added around 4th to the main stage. Add 1 or 2 more acts lower down the Main and R1 stages and it'd end up being v similar to the 2018 Kendrick day imo.

reading2018.jpg

I actually didn't add Panic as feel they are much more in the pop sector now. RTJ and Slowthai....shouldn't even still be booked aren't heavy acts, they are rap/hip hop acts.