Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Southgate just said Chalobah deserves it for his dedication to England. He's played 97 youth games. I read somewhere that he never once turned down a call up (a lot of the young lads pussy foot around the call ups). Perhaps that has something to do with it.

23 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

My guess would be Hart or Henderson?

somewhere round here from about 5 years ago there's a post of mine saying 'future England Captain' (which TGT either didn't much like, or disagreed with, I forget).

If they're going to announce anyone as the 'permanent' one, it'll be Hendo, I'm sure. He's been captain at all of the junior levels.

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

somewhere round here from about 5 years ago there's a post of mine saying 'future England Captain' (which TGT either didn't much like, or disagreed with, I forget).

If they're going to announce anyone as the 'permanent' one, it'll be Hendo, I'm sure. He's been captain at all of the junior levels.

He's shit - much like England.

38 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I might have missed the announcement if it has happened but do England have a permanent captain since Rooney? My guess would be Hart or Henderson?

The problem with picking a permanent captain at international level is that they then start automatically regardless of form. There's no need for one, it's not like they have the same duties that club captains have. I'd rather they decided who wears the armband on a match by match basis.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

The problem with picking a permanent captain at international level is that they then start automatically regardless of form. There's no need for one, it's not like they have the same duties that club captains have. I'd rather they decided who wears the armband on a match by match basis.

Can't say I agree, makes it a mockery of what should be the pinnacle of anyone's career. 

Then again there isn't a stand out player to be captain for England, only perhaps Cahil. It's a problem for many clubs, there doesn't seem to be the leaders out there.

Edited by thetime

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

I know typical England always banging on about potential etc but it's hard not to here. Some of these lads could really push on.

I guess the nature of football is some will push on, as every late 20s/early 30s player was under 21 at some point. However I don't see this batch is being particular special compared to any previous batch.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think Brazil have been rotating their captain recently with no concerns. From what I have read English fans/media care more about the captain than any other country. Some who just give it to the person with the most caps. I can understand why a player would want it due to the financial incentive, but cant see why as a fan you would care. I would be quite happy for Wales just to pick it out of a hat every game, for all the impact I believe it has.

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

However I don't see this batch is being particular special compared to any previous batch.

I don't know the stats or whatever but a fair few of the under 21 lads in that batch should be be Premier League regulars this year and in terms of putting pressure on the senior squad that excites me as it seems as though, for the first time I can remember, everyone is in with a chance of a call up. 

edit: being a Chelsea fan and having seen Tammy Abraham score goals for fun at Bristol City last year, I'm also interested to see him develop.

Edited by jyoung

Just now, pink_triangle said:

The only harm I could see it possibly having is the impact it may have on Lukaku having a higher profile forward to compete with .

I'm hoping it pushes him on, so he doesn't have them missing games he had with Everton. You would imagine in the majority of games they will be competing for one place.

18 minutes ago, thetime said:

Can't say I agree, makes it a mockery of what should be the pinnacle of anyone's career. 

Then again there isn't a stand out player to be captain for England, only perhaps Cahil. It's a problem for many clubs, there doesn't seem to be the leaders out there.

Sadly I don't think there are many players who would regard captaining their country as the pinnacle of their careers anymore.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Sadly I don't think there are many players who would regard captaining their country as the pinnacle of their careers anymore.

I would hope most players are more interested in improving as a footballer rather than being able to call heads or tails. If the importance of a captain is diminishing then I think that's a good thing.

9 minutes ago, Dan R said:

If we're going to be carrying on with the 3-4-3 then there's a few CM pairs which I can imagine working pretty well, even if there's nothing spectacular there.

For me our strongest position is wing back so makes sense to utilise them as much as possible. Dier and Henderson are the obvious choices for the two midfielders but past them it doesn't look great. 

6 minutes ago, mjsell said:

For me our strongest position is wing back so makes sense to utilise them as much as possible. Dier and Henderson are the obvious choices for the two midfielders but past them it doesn't look great. 

True, they were the pair I was thinking,  Livermore and Chalobah are hardly an inspiring back-up.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Reports that Oliver Burke is heading to the Hawthorns for a medical.

Quite excited by this, can't say I've seen much of him playing but I know there's a lot of hype around him.

I heard rumours of Palace too. Not sure what he's thinking. Started loads of games in the Bundesliga last year and they have Champions League football this year?! Homesick maybe? I've likewise never seen him play but heard plenty of the hype.