Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Just now, pink_triangle said:

I think Salah will end up one of the signings of the seasons, to think some were brining up how he didn't make the grade at Chelsea as a reason that he wouldn't be a good signing.

I agree. That logic doesn't work for me. There are loads of players where it hasn't quite worked for them, then they've gone to another club and been fantastic. It also works the other way a lot. Torres, for example. Andy Carroll to a lesser extent, too.

I'm excited about the draw tonight. We're back after a year away and it looks like its gonna be an absolute belter. The way that its seeded all but guarantees some massive clashes.With Barca, Atleti and PSG in pot 2 and Napoli in pot 3, it's definitely gonna throw up some great games.

22 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it your Evans at 29 you have to make the move as its the last chance to play for a big team. If he ends up like Sinclair at Celtic in a couple of years, he will still be playing in the champions league and making more money than any of us,

Evans is probably thinking that Stones, Otamendi and Mangala are ropey to say the least and that Kompany is made of breadsticks.

If I were him I'd be fancying my chances to establish myself in that team.

15 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I'm excited about the draw tonight. We're back after a year away and it looks like its gonna be an absolute belter. The way that its seeded all but guarantees some massive clashes.With Barca, Atleti and PSG in pot 2 and Napoli in pot 3, it's definitely gonna throw up some great games.

Yeah a guaranteed interesting group stage for once!

The only team to really avoid is Real Madrid. Far and away the best team about.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah a guaranteed interesting group stage for once!

The only team to really avoid is Real Madrid. Far and away the best team about.

I'd love to go up against Madrid but we're in the same pot so that isn't happening, at least not in the groups. We've played Barca, PSG and Liverpool several times in the Champions League but never Madrid. 

edit: Here is a website where you can simulate your own Champions League draw. Just a bit of fun, I suppose. This is what mine came out as...

CL.JPG.7a6b995ec287970bc79020fdc8359c48.JPG

That would be tough on the old scousers!

Edited by jyoung

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

As I said above, he's no worse than any of the centre halves they currently have (Kompany doesn't count as he's held together with blu tak), there's no reason to think he can't play regularly for them.

if he transfers we'll have to keep count.

I reckon he'll get 5 or less run-outs in the Prem, unless they hit serious injury problems at the back.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

TAA is already having a big season. I can see Clyne struggling to get his place back.

He is who I had in mind. So far he has been positive and made the most of his chance. If he continues to do that he'll get plenty of game time what with European fixtures etc. Likewise for Solanke who jumped the Chelsea ship. He's gone to Liverpool looking for playing time, if he gets it, let's see what he can do.

Calvert-Lewin is winning some plaudits and Tom Davies is playing regularly for Everton. RLC is using his time at Palace to prove his worth and hopefully Tammy Abraham can start scoring in the prem. I'd like to see Leicester give Gray more game time, he's decent. It's exciting to look at that squad though. Some quality young English players getting games in our top league. Reasons to be positive.

I know typical England always banging on about potential etc but it's hard not to here. Some of these lads could really push on.

I haven't seen too much of him but Calvert-Lewin has looked fantastic from what I've seen of him. Brilliant player.

TAA reminds me a bit of Gary Neville (feels dirty saying that) and Solanke looks like a good prospect but I worry how much game time he will actually get (or not get, as the case may be).

The Chalobah one stands out, doesn't it. Not quite sure what he's done to deserve that. Southgate obviously very loyal to the lad. Great to see Harry Maguire called up. The big teams will regret not signing him this summer.

edit: cba with John Stones or Daniel Sturridge.

Edited by jyoung

13 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I might have missed the announcement if it has happened but do England have a permanent captain since Rooney? My guess would be Hart or Henderson?

No announcement yet. Surely not Hart? Cahill's name can be thrown into the mix. Kane captains Spurs. We will see!

Edited by jyoung