Volunteering at Glastonbury

VTizz

12 hours ago, VTizz said:

Hi All

I'm interested in volunteering at Glastonbury 2017. Does anybody know how easy it is to apply? Do many people get turned down? Or do most people that want to do it get accepted? 

Thanks 

Lets kick off - if you are a EU citizens and are 18+ and you apply at the correct time and you meet all their requirements { note some jobs may demand that they do a ' criminal record check ' } and you agree to their Terms and Conditions { fully read them before you apply } and you have the spare cash to pay the deposit { which could be £200+ } then there is a very good chance of a place - make no mistake many of these jobs go in a flash so its important that you get your application in on time. Also consider the time factor - some jobs happen before the festival starts so if you cant make the dates then just don't apply 

they have a list at  http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/jobs/

but there is many more volunteers jobs they don't list so keep checking Efest

Big Note - if they ask you to bring a passport or driving license { or whatever } then show up with the required documents because without them its likely they will send you away - I know the WBC will check up on anyone new - I see it at every festival and some will show up with a photograph on their phone even although they were warned that they had to produce the original documents - there they are all packed and ready to board the Crew Coach and they are sent away to race home and to bring back the documents and if they are lucky they may get a place on a later  Coach.

Cant work it out myself as I know they are warned well in advance but it happens at every festival I work at.

Consider what the shifts may be - some may only be daytime work some may be evening work and some may be Overnight work so have a big think before you apply as many places once the shifts are allocated ' they are fixed ' - some may allow you to swap but many will not allow you to swap { it will be in the Terms and Conditions }

other factors to consider is - where will be the Crew Camp ? - some are inside the wall and some are outside the wall.

What meals do they supply ? - some don't - some it may be one meal a day and others its two meals per day - some will have their own Catering facilities and others will share.

The same goes for toilets and showers - some will have their own and some you have to share.

Some will offer free water and soft drinks and others you have to pay for it

Some will have a cheap Bar and some don't.

Some will offer free transport and some don't

its all factors that have to thought about before you apply.

I know with the WBC they have their own Catering facilities and its two meals per day - they also rent their own toilets and showers { so there is no massive queue in the morning }

They do offer free water and soft drinks and they also issue two beer tokens per day and they do have a cheap Bar which is open 24 hours per day { and that has power outlets so you can charge a phone }

they also run a secure crew site with Security so its a lot more secure than many crew sites.

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Lets kick off - if you are a EU citizens and are 18+ and you apply at the correct time and you meet all their requirements { note some jobs may demand that they do a ' criminal record check ' } and you agree to their Terms and Conditions { fully read them before you apply } and you have the spare cash to pay the deposit { which could be £200+ } then there is a very good chance of a place - make no mistake many of these jobs go in a flash so its important that you get your application in on time. Also consider the time factor - some jobs happen before the festival starts so if you cant make the dates then just don't apply 

they have a list at  http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/jobs/

but there is many more volunteers jobs they don't list so keep checking Efest

Big Note - if they ask you to bring a passport or driving license { or whatever } then show up with the required documents because without them its likely they will send you away - I know the WBC will check up on anyone new - I see it at every festival and some will show up with a photograph on their phone even although they were warned that they had to produce the original documents - there they are all packed and ready to board the Crew Coach and they are sent away to race home and to bring back the documents and if they are lucky they may get a place on a later  Coach.

Cant work it out myself as I know they are warned well in advance but it happens at every festival I work at.

Consider what the shifts may be - some may only be daytime work some may be evening work and some may be Overnight work so have a big think before you apply as many places once the shifts are allocated ' they are fixed ' - some may allow you to swap but many will not allow you to swap { it will be in the Terms and Conditions }

other factors to consider is - where will be the Crew Camp ? - some are inside the wall and some are outside the wall.

What meals do they supply ? - some don't - some it may be one meal a day and others its two meals per day - some will have their own Catering facilities and others will share.

The same goes for toilets and showers - some will have their own and some you have to share.

Some will offer free water and soft drinks and others you have to pay for it

Some will have a cheap Bar and some don't.

Some will offer free transport and some don't

its all factors that have to thought about before you apply.

I know with the WBC they have their own Catering facilities and its two meals per day - they also rent their own toilets and showers { so there is no massive queue in the morning }

They do offer free water and soft drinks and they also issue two beer tokens per day and they do have a cheap Bar which is open 24 hours per day { and that has power outlets so you can charge a phone }

they also run a secure crew site with Security so its a lot more secure than many crew sites.

Thank you for this information glasto-worker. It's extremely helpful. :-)

More info, this time specific to Oxfam.

Oxfam have a large number of volunteers at Glastonbury, who work on the entrance gates to the site.  The places go pretty quickly though, so you will need to register here - http://www.oxfam.org.uk/stewarding

You work three 8 hour shifts - if you are (incredibly) lucky, these will be pre-festival, but usually these will be over the five days of the festival - typically one early (0800 to 1600), one day (1600 to midnight), and one night (midnight to 0800).  Inevitably, you will miss something you want to see, and you will hate the night shift, but that's the way it goes.  You can turn up from Monday, and get access to site from then - it's pretty cool to watch the end of the build, and everyone else start to arrive.

You get a meal for each shift, three or four shower tokens, and you camp outside the main site (about a 10 minute walk from Ped Gate B ) on a secure, quiet(er) site.  Catering is available at really reasonable cost for other meals if you want it, and there is hot water / tea / coffee laid on.  You also get access to some of the crew bars on site  - some of them think they're better than all that, and only allow their own crew - but nowhere really beats Maceo's as a place to kick off or end your night :)

You pay a deposit up front to the value of the ticket.  Fail to do your shift, or turn up to a shift off yer face, and you lose it.  However, if you want, you can roll the deposit forward to do other festivals with them in the year (I did three others last year).

You also get a ready-made set of friends (festival friends ::thumbsup::) - I went on my own, but could always get company if I wanted. 

I've worked on the recycling crew / litter picking crew 5 times now- initially doing the litter picking but this year did pre-festival traders information given I was a veteran.

You pay a deposit which you get back in July if you complete all your shifts plus meal tokens a shift and generally the food isn't too bad and the tent that the catering and bar is in has a good atmosphere.  You are camped in Tom's Field at the top of the site up by the farmhouse and medical centre.

There's a number of different roles you can do- litter picking, tractor crew, recycling centre etc. and some are AM, some are PM and some alternate.

I will most likely be back in 2017 for my 6th time

• 3 months later...
On 17/10/2016 at 3:30 PM, jfaragher said:

More info, this time specific to Oxfam.

Oxfam have a large number of volunteers at Glastonbury, who work on the entrance gates to the site.  The places go pretty quickly though, so you will need to register here - http://www.oxfam.org.uk/stewarding

You work three 8 hour shifts - if you are (incredibly) lucky, these will be pre-festival, but usually these will be over the five days of the festival - typically one early (0800 to 1600), one day (1600 to midnight), and one night (midnight to 0800).  Inevitably, you will miss something you want to see, and you will hate the night shift, but that's the way it goes.  You can turn up from Monday, and get access to site from then - it's pretty cool to watch the end of the build, and everyone else start to arrive.

You get a meal for each shift, three or four shower tokens, and you camp outside the main site (about a 10 minute walk from Ped Gate B ) on a secure, quiet(er) site.  Catering is available at really reasonable cost for other meals if you want it, and there is hot water / tea / coffee laid on.  You also get access to some of the crew bars on site  - some of them think they're better than all that, and only allow their own crew - but nowhere really beats Maceo's as a place to kick off or end your night :)

You pay a deposit up front to the value of the ticket.  Fail to do your shift, or turn up to a shift off yer face, and you lose it.  However, if you want, you can roll the deposit forward to do other festivals with them in the year (I did three others last year).

You also get a ready-made set of friends (festival friends ::thumbsup::) - I went on my own, but could always get company if I wanted. 

now I can only speak for the WBC - now in the late 80's and most of the 90's the WBC did allow in other crews but due to a Massive Fight { I was there and it was Massive } where none WBC workers ended up fighting each other - I wont mention the Company but they all worked for the same Security Company - this was a serious Fight - never did find out why they were fighting all I know is its the biggest fight I have seen at Glastonbury { and I was born in Glasgow } - anyway the WBC council decided to change access and ever since then none WBC workers were blocked from entering our Crew area - the actual bar for many years ran at a loss as they sold drink cheaper than cost so it was a good deal but that fight blew it for all the crews who don't work for the WBC.

by the way how does the ' shower tokens ' work ?

Edited by glasto-worker

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone could help me out? I'd love the opportunity to work at this years Glastonbury. I have emailed Fiona re litter picking and she says she will send over the link to register once its open, I have also registered with feststaff again there application isn't open yet.I'm just concerned I'm going to miss the boat does anyone know when registration opens? Also very interested in working any f the bars there however can't seem to find any info on working these, so a nudge in the right direction would be fab! 

If you want to work on the bars, there's basically 2 main providers: The WBC run most of the busiest bars on site, however their recruitment is generally from existing WBC members and so probably difficult to get a place through if you're not already involved.

Avalon Bars & Events run most of the rest of the bars on site - they generally recruit volunteers via Shelter, so register your interest with them and they should E-Mail you when registration opens.

As for others.. WaterAid have already started recruitment, details are on their site. Oxfam will let you register interest now and will likely recruit from the public on a strictly first come first served basis around mid-march, and I'd expect Festaff to recruit some time in February or March.

3 hours ago, PennieH said:

Amazing thank you for info! With regards to Avalon and shelter how does their recruitment process work if I've never volunteered at a festival before will this be a disadvantage for me?

well I do know about it ' although I have no direct connection with Avalon ' { but lots of connection with the owners of Avalon for over 25 years } 

first let me pull you up

its not a smart move to apply for everything that moves

during the process ' they will ask for a deposit ' and that may or may not be returned in full

Big note - they all have different terms and conditions and different cut off dates so you can easily be caught out .

For all you know ' they may all offer a place '

Unless you have money to burn its best if you make your mind up now .

sure there is no guarantees but unless you have worked with them before its all a bit of a lottery.

I do know that Avalon via Shelter does hold a training day ' which I believe is in London '

there is various people who are members of this board who have in the past worked for 
Avalon/Shelter so they will be able to explain this better.

If I had no connection with the WBC or Avalon I would pick Avalon - they run some fine bars
and the people at the top do really know what they are doing - in fact over time I have worked in most of their Bars { when they were being run by the WBC }

The Crew Camp they now use is very close to the crew site that the WBC first used when I joined in 1989 .

Its a good deal they offer and the facilities are excellent and Shelter earns money as well

If you decide to go the Avalon/Shelter route - don't hang about as the places goes fast

Most people who will be applying that day will also likely not to have much Volunteer experience.

As long as your 18 or over and can legally work in the UK and as long as you don't mind
some hard work you should be fine. 

i was on the recycling crew for the first time last year, and i haven't been invited back yet, even though some of my friends have! it might be because i only have one past glasto on my record, but i'm starting to think ive just been forgotten (i mean, it's nearly february!!!). does anyone know what's happening? no updates or anything!!!!

On 26/01/2017 at 4:26 PM, glasto-worker said:

well I do know about it ' although I have no direct connection with Avalon ' { but lots of connection with the owners of Avalon for over 25 years } 

first let me pull you up

its not a smart move to apply for everything that moves

during the process ' they will ask for a deposit ' and that may or may not be returned in full

Big note - they all have different terms and conditions and different cut off dates so you can easily be caught out .

For all you know ' they may all offer a place '

Unless you have money to burn its best if you make your mind up now .

sure there is no guarantees but unless you have worked with them before its all a bit of a lottery.

I do know that Avalon via Shelter does hold a training day ' which I believe is in London '

there is various people who are members of this board who have in the past worked for 
Avalon/Shelter so they will be able to explain this better.

If I had no connection with the WBC or Avalon I would pick Avalon - they run some fine bars
and the people at the top do really know what they are doing - in fact over time I have worked in most of their Bars { when they were being run by the WBC }

The Crew Camp they now use is very close to the crew site that the WBC first used when I joined in 1989 .

Its a good deal they offer and the facilities are excellent and Shelter earns money as well

If you decide to go the Avalon/Shelter route - don't hang about as the places goes fast

Most people who will be applying that day will also likely not to have much Volunteer experience.

As long as your 18 or over and can legally work in the UK and as long as you don't mind
some hard work you should be fine. 

Thank you so much for all this info super helpful! I have emailed shelter and they said to just wait for registration to open. I don't suppose if anyone knows when this is or if they have already received an email to apply? I'm just conscious you have to act quick and am worried I may miss the boat!

12 hours ago, PennieH said:

Thank you so much for all this info super helpful! I have emailed shelter and they said to just wait for registration to open. I don't suppose if anyone knows when this is or if they have already received an email to apply? I'm just conscious you have to act quick and am worried I may miss the boat!

Your looking at it the wrong way - their whole system depends on recruiting enough Volunteers - sure some people who have worked with them before will receive advance notification but trust me when Shelter is ready ' they will let everyone know in advance '

just because in 2016 they went live on a certain date does not mean they will use the same date in 2017 - its normally at the start of March { but it may be the middle of March } - make no mistake ' you have to fill in their red tape that morning ' - after a few hours they will switch the page and they will go into a wait list -     

You cant speed it up but you can do things to prepare .

You should collect all the possible Information they will be after which may or may not include ' the name and address of your next of kin ' or daft things like ' what is your  national insurance number ' - they will want a complete application. 

they may or may not accept a deposit payment via PayPal - so if I was use I would set one up { it takes longer than you would expect as they have extra security in place to check out that you have given a valid bank account }

the last thing you need is a deposit not reaching Shelter - any part of the process that goes wrong { for whatever reason } means they will skip your application.

Shelter will not mess about - Avalon will tell them we need X amount of staff and once they reach that number they will switch to the wait list -  I know two in 2010 {Avalon first started in 2010} who were picked up from the waiting list so its still worth trying.

amazingly most of the rejects will be people who are under 18 - they will not take on anyone under 18 and there is always a few people who don't have legal permission to work here { even although there is no pay involved they cant by law accept anyone who has Visa issues }

Now lets say they went live at 8am 10 February - fill in the form and pay the deposit and if it all goes though ' you will receive a e-mail the same day ' - its that fast - it will be a provisional offer { but as long as all the information you have supplied is 100%  accurate you will have a place }

make no mistake about this - if anything is missing ' they will skip you ' - I know people who were daft and for god knows what reason ' did not give their correct address ' and when they were asked for ID to back up their claim they were stuffed - they will want to see valid ID and if you don't have it your stuffed. 

its likely you will have a two hour window { which may vary this year }

Edited by glasto-worker

This feels like a slightly daft question but I am going to ask it anyway...

obviously all all of the volunteer providers ask for you to turn up to your shift without being under the influence of any intoxicants. Of course - there is no way they can have people trying to perform duties whilst plastered or tripping their faces off.

however - if you are on an evening or night shift, do people not drink all day, or do you just stay the right side of merry and turn up in a fairly reasonable condition?

how 'under the influence' is 'under the influence'?

I worked for Avalon bars through Shelter in 2011, really good experience, and handily my bar was the Park Bar so I was able to nip out to watch Radiohead and Pulp do their secret sets - we also got a heads up about who was playing so I was able to let my mates know.

The 'training' day was at the Shelter offices in Old Street, basically just ran us through the laws, told us to check everyone's ID and gave us some details for our arrival times etc. 

The campsite was really close to Gate B, was a trek up the muddy lane in the evenings but showers were always free and the food was good, we didn't take advantage of the bar because we barely spent any time back at our tents. I did 2 late shifts (Wednesday and Friday) and then a day shift on the Saturday - we certainly didn't get boozed up before our shifts, had a couple of beers during the day and then had a beer on our break when we were grabbing food and watching a band, can't speak for anyone else that was working as to their intoxication levels, but I wouldn't imagine it's a good idea to be anywhere close to drunk, would jeapordise your job their potentially and could be dangerous.

Would thoroughly recommend it to people looking for an option to get to the farm, just worth bearing in mind that you need to go into it aware of the commitment, don't be that person that doesn't show up for shifts and accept that you're going to miss some acts. 

20 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I worked for Avalon bars through Shelter in 2011, really good experience, and handily my bar was the Park Bar so I was able to nip out to watch Radiohead and Pulp do their secret sets - we also got a heads up about who was playing so I was able to let my mates know.

The 'training' day was at the Shelter offices in Old Street, basically just ran us through the laws, told us to check everyone's ID and gave us some details for our arrival times etc. 

The campsite was really close to Gate B, was a trek up the muddy lane in the evenings but showers were always free and the food was good, we didn't take advantage of the bar because we barely spent any time back at our tents. I did 2 late shifts (Wednesday and Friday) and then a day shift on the Saturday - we certainly didn't get boozed up before our shifts, had a couple of beers during the day and then had a beer on our break when we were grabbing food and watching a band, can't speak for anyone else that was working as to their intoxication levels, but I wouldn't imagine it's a good idea to be anywhere close to drunk, would jeapordise your job their potentially and could be dangerous.

Would thoroughly recommend it to people looking for an option to get to the farm, just worth bearing in mind that you need to go into it aware of the commitment, don't be that person that doesn't show up for shifts and accept that you're going to miss some acts. 

Here it is when the WBC still had it in 2008 { the people who run Avalon used to work with the WBC } although that year the WBC Crew site was next to Gate A { outside the fence } so it was a long walk up to it - one night they switched the Old Railway track one way { so you could not walk east } so many people just slipped into the park area as they were going to switch it the other way { a hour or two later } so that area got jam packed and the Bar was heaving - and we sold out { and because of its location we could not get more stock that night } - completely unexpected as otherwise they would have brought in more stock the night before and they would have doubled up the staff.

as for being fit to start work - well for a start it would be illegal if the Tent Manager allows anyone to work behind a bar and they were close to being drunk.

sure I have seen loads of people try it { none on my team as they know they would never get a place again } who were either stoned or drunk - they will get sent away and will have to make up their shift when sober - do it twice and they are out.

I have even spotted people drinking on duty - one female tried to fill up a Pint Glass with Vodka { and not pay for it } - she was kicked out.

Unlike Avalon the WBC uses Teams { so its a collection of people all connected to each other } and they have a Team Leader so if anyone is being lazy the Tent Manager will pull up the Team Leader and its up to them to put a spark back into the lazy ones.

I have ran into Teams that were really taking the piss - lets say there was 8 of them - they would start a shift and be all over the place - dashing here and dashing there for  10 minuets - then all 8 of them would Vanish and would reappear 10 minuets before the end of their shift and dash about again .

I overheard the Tent Manager praising their work so I pulled up the Tent Manager so the next day he had a second Tent Manager in front of the bar and he was watching them like a hawk ' and they did the exact same thing ' and that was the end of their time with the WBC.

In a busy bar being 8 workers down is a right pain in the arse.

I fully agree it is a good way to do it - anyone who expects shifts will all work in their favour should think about buying a ticket - I get to pick my own shifts { - That only started after 25 years with the WBC but I still work late the last night as that will be the busiest night - and will not stop until 5am .

park-bar-side.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

Just to be clear, I'm not thinking of turning up drunk, I'm a fairly steady drinker at festivals nowadays anyway, but if I was on an evening shift, I probably wouldn't be too keen on having to abstain all day.  As long as it's OK to be able to find a balance.

9 hours ago, amfy said:

Just to be clear, I'm not thinking of turning up drunk, I'm a fairly steady drinker at festivals nowadays anyway, but if I was on an evening shift, I probably wouldn't be too keen on having to abstain all day.  As long as it's OK to be able to find a balance.

you don't say who you will be working for and what you will be doing - if its bar work and they don't know you - then its likely you will be checked but its all down to the person checking - it will all be in the terms and conditions - now most of the times I have seen someone being pulled up is because they were Drunk they might as well had a big sign on their head because even at 50 feet it was clear they were drunk - if its bar work you may be asked to show up 10 or so minuets before your shift and a Manager will register everyone starting and its that point they may or may not ask - have you been drinking ? so the smart answer would be - yes but in moderation and not for the last hour - its a festival and if its a late shift { which could be Midnight } it would be completely unreasonable to expect everyone not to have a drink before a late shift but if they state in the terms and conditions No drinking at all then that could be a problem -

just don't stand out in a crowd and avoid walking in to start your duty with a open can of beer or whatever . 

Hi all,

I've been accepted for the litter picking crew for a charity this year, really looking forward to it. After going to the festival as a punter for over 10 years I thought it was time I gave something back.

My shifts are Fri - Mon 6am to 12 at the Other Stage. I just have a few questions for anyone who has done it before.

What's the drill on Friday mornings, do we get to finish early? Or do we go and help other teams out around the site? As the festival hasn't properly started their will be less rubbish at the other stage than Sat - Mon.

My last shift finishes at midday on Monday but I've been told we are not able to leave the site till 3pm does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance.

On 13/02/2017 at 9:41 PM, amfy said:

In my experience, having volunteered for Oxfam - turn up  intoxicated and you're in trouble.  Their official policy is deposit lost and ejected from the event.  However, if you fuck up, let them know before the shift and they'll reschedule you, but probably only once.

I have had a reasonable afternoon session, sobered up for a couple of hours (food, water, coffee, maybe a nap) and turned up on shift fine.  I've also had a sneaky pint in my break, though this was probably breaking the rules, and should be avoided*.  For Glastonbury, the work is checking wristbands / vehicle gate credentials, and so you are reasonably unlikely to be dealing with anything more serious than a stroppy prick with a fake, so whilst being drunk is a problem, not being completely at your best is less of an issue than at events where you might need to provide welfare support or deal with a medical incident.  Note though, this does not apply to drivers - you are likely to be breathalysed before your shift, and limits on site are often lower than in the real world.

* Just in case any of the Oxstaff are here - to be fair this was suggested by my supervisor after a particularly busy few hours with multiple medical incidents, at times concurrent - good old BoomTown.  It was needed.