Sziget Festival 2017

#1SzigetFan

3 hours ago, neacaisa said:

The first headliners list is horrible. Come on, sziget cannot put placebo as headliners on the main stage in 2017. I don't think justice can headline either. The others seem very likely.

Now that I think about it, why not a french night with Justice + Phoenix on main stage, +M83 and Deluxe back on A38...

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got bored tonight and decided to google Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike. 

NO ALBUMS? (please correct me if I'm wrong)

A few hit singles in Belgium and there's your headliner? 

It's a complete joke. The lineup announcement was a joke. The fact we're probably going to end up with Mumford and Sons is enough to make you feel sick. 

Noel G said in reference to Sia last year "Is the music not enough?". Really think he might've had a point. 

Sziget 2017: Must do better (and this does not involve announcing The XX)

6 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

So I got bored tonight and decided to google Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike. 

NO ALBUMS? (please correct me if I'm wrong)

A few hit singles in Belgium and there's your headliner? 

It's a complete joke. The lineup announcement was a joke. The fact we're probably going to end up with Mumford and Sons is enough to make you feel sick. 

Noel G said in reference to Sia last year "Is the music not enough?". Really think he might've had a point. 

Sziget 2017: Must do better (and this does not involve announcing The XX)

They are massive in EDM world, chart success isn't everything there. On par with Hardwell, Martin Garrix, David Guetta, Tiesto (still can't believe how shitty he became) 

You can see that by their position on Tomorrowland and Ultra. But yeah, it's a joke but people love it :(

Edited by Nicklord

7 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

To be honest you can say the same thing about bands like Rammstein or Slipknot and hundreds of others. What if they just stay on stage and play music like Noel does? No, they're doing a show, like Sia does. Different genre but same logic. Everybody does it his own way, just consider the quality.

I love Noel but he's often an asshole

3 hours ago, hamishrankin said:

I don't think it's anything to get too worried about, last years first announcement was: Bring Me The Horizon, MO, M83,   Sigur Rós, Kodaline, John Newman, Parov Stelar and Naughty Boy. You can't say that's a great announcement but it ended up being a pretty solid line up in the end. 

I'd have to disagree :)

M83 was my favorite concert of the year (of my life, ever). Sigur Ros were very good too!

I also enjoyed BMTH and Mo.

This year's first announcement has nothing mind blowing for me as the one from last year. But I'm still optimistic, I don't need much and there's a few interesting acts touring in august.

They always announce the headliners as the first names in the bunch. Major Lazer was before DV&LM (they were tagged to do the end show) so it is definitely a headlining act.

Also, they don't specifically mention which one of the artists is a headliner, but generally it is pretty obvious.

Edited by neacaisa

I have made my Sziget wish & asked to drink with The Bohemian Betyars - those boys know how to party!

I hope they will book them again - I kind of felt like they were like The Lancashire Hotpots at Kendall Calling and a bit of a permanent fixture - I hope so!

For myself I also felt that last years first announcement wasn't up to much, so I am still optomistic for the whole line up despite a disappointing first batch. My favourite - The Chemical Brothers weren't announced til about June I think.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Nicklord said:

U2 only played Bonnaroo and Glastonbury in the last 10-15 years? Can't remember more 

In the last 30+ years.

Barring a few all-star-charity things like Live Aid etc, the last proper festivals they did prior to Glastonbury were in 1983.

http://hungarytoday.hu/news/breaking-american-private-equity-firm-buys-controlling-interest-hungarys-biggest-summer-festivals-61143

So an American firm has bought 70% of Sziget's company. Sziget is claiming that it opens up new possibilities for them. Thoughts on that?

And here's a thing for people complaining that Sziget is going more electronic year by year:

The article also says that Sziget Ltd.’s operations will continue to be overseen by Gerendai and Sziget’s other owners. Joining the current management team will be James Barton, founder of the Creamfields festival and former electronic music manager of American events company LiveNation, as well as Paul Bedford former financial director of Cream Group.

Previous professional work around live electronic music industry does not have to be something bad, those guys are probably very good at their job, with loads of international connections, but it still does scare me.

2 hours ago, siiiim said:

http://hungarytoday.hu/news/breaking-american-private-equity-firm-buys-controlling-interest-hungarys-biggest-summer-festivals-61143

So an American firm has bought 70% of Sziget's company. Sziget is claiming that it opens up new possibilities for them. Thoughts on that?

And here's a thing for people complaining that Sziget is going more electronic year by year:

The article also says that Sziget Ltd.’s operations will continue to be overseen by Gerendai and Sziget’s other owners. Joining the current management team will be James Barton, founder of the Creamfields festival and former electronic music manager of American events company LiveNation, as well as Paul Bedford former financial director of Cream Group.

Previous professional work around live electronic music industry does not have to be something bad, those guys are probably very good at their job, with loads of international connections, but it still does scare me.

I guess that we can only guess! Let's wait and see but hopefully the new names will give us an idea of how eclectic they still want Sziget to be.