Sziget Festival 2017

#1SzigetFan

2 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

I would really love to see The Killers if I'd have to choose between RHCP, Green Day or The Killers, but I'm afraid it won't be the case, as they already played at Sziget 3 times and maybe they're thinking to bring a band that didn't play here for a very long time (something like Foo Fighters or Green Day) or a band that never visited the island (RHCP).

Another band I would like to see returning with a new album and also touring next year is Snow Patrol. They're missing since 2013 and they were at Sziget in 2009...

I agree with Uncle Liam, but I think Kasabian would be a (good) repeat, not The Killers. It would have been 5 years. Was Battle Born released then? I loved the studio album, not a lot of people will agree. If they have a 2nd album the setlist will look quite different so it's okay!

edit: they did play songs from Battle Born.. what a banging setlist!!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-killers/2012/obudai-sziget-budapest-hungary-3bdc34d0.html 

Snow Patrol would be nice but as sub-headliner.

Edited by Noeliam

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Killers are smart enough to know exactly what the audience want to hear and they do that. Some new songs at the start (Runaways is a banging tune) and then wall to wall hits which everybody knows all the words to. 

And everyone goes off into the night singing "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" 

What more could you ask for?

But no, let's have a DJ with one chart hit- and disguise the fact that there's no substance to it with some flames coming from the top fo the stage. 

Although I realised last night why they do it. The last day is generally the least busiest. Cheaper flights home, general weariness etc. Why waste a big act when you'll have a smaller crowd and less money spent? 

13 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

The Killers are smart enough to know exactly what the audience want to hear and they do that.

I agree.

Regarding the End Show, you're right, but it's not only that. I read somewhere few months ago that in 2011 (or 2013?) they almost cancelled Sziget due to serious financial problems and they really had to change a lot, including the line-up. They started to concentrate more on "diversity" (arts, culture, music etc.) and this is why we have EDM music and the "EDM" End Show for some years. Guess what? It's working for them financially now.

I think that the official Sziget 2016 aftermovie is coming soon, because they released the VOLT Festival aftermovie today and for Balaton Sound 5 days ago. Sziget aftermovie next week maybe?

By the way, VOLT also announced Linkin Park a week before releasing the aftermovie. Should we expect this kind of surprise from Sziget too or is it too early for that?

1 hour ago, #1SzigetFan said:

I agree.

Regarding the End Show, you're right, but it's not only that. I read somewhere few months ago that in 2011 (or 2013?) they almost cancelled Sziget due to serious financial problems and they really had to change a lot, including the line-up. They started to concentrate more on "diversity" (arts, culture, music etc.) and this is why we have EDM music and the "EDM" End Show for some years. Guess what? It's working for them financially now.

This is true. 2011 was a huge money loser- it cost them a fortune to get Prince apparently and because they announced it so late it had little impact on ticket sales. 

2013 was a shambles of a lineup. The year they announced Mika in the middle of a list of artists and then all of a sudden he was headlining. Headliners that year were (off the top of my head) Nick Cave, Mika, Guetta (worst gig by anyone ever), Blur, Biffy Clyro (shite) and I can't even remember who was on, if anyone on Day 0. 

The EDM is an example of cost cutting, but so is having music start at 1600 rather than 1500 and only having four artists per day on the mainstage. Thankfully there's been an improvement in having more solid lineups since 2013, although I still think there's no excuse for an 'end party'- such a shameless gimmick, nor booking acts like Sia or Ellie Goulding who have no place headlining a major festival.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Liam said:

The EDM is an example of cost cutting, but so is having music start at 1600 rather than 1500 and only having four artists per day on the mainstage. Thankfully there's been an improvement in having more solid lineups since 2013, although I still think there's no excuse for an 'end party'- such a shameless gimmick, nor booking acts like Sia or Ellie Goulding who have no place headlining a major festival.

I really don't find it bad that the music starts at 16. Even then it's still too hot, and I like to do other stuff during the day. The 11pm curfew is another problem of the main stage, if not they could put both headliner and sub in complete darkness, with 1h30 set each other it can make concerts better (with the 3rd down playing the sunset slot). 

16 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

2013 was a shambles of a lineup. The year they announced Mika in the middle of a list of artists and then all of a sudden he was headlining. Headliners that year were (off the top of my head) Nick Cave, Mika, Guetta (worst gig by anyone ever), Blur, Biffy Clyro (shite) and I can't even remember who was on, if anyone on Day 0. 

Yes 2013 was poor in terms of sales, and then in 2014 they came with a marketing revolution: opening party, end party, 3 djs on the main, etc.

I personally dislike this mainstream dj sets but Sziget took the most clever decision. People don't listen to rock (except for the 10 big stadium bands) or soul or jazz or blues, at least very few people do. People listen to a lot of edm and electronic music in general. Festivals like tomorrowland have grown so much, and it also happens that the djs are cheaper than the bands. So they had to do it, they do what people want. You organize events for people it's normal. And this was never a rock festival. 

In the '90s on the radio you could hear Oasis, REM, Jamiroquai, Aerosmith, Radiohead, Alanis Morissette, Lenny Kravitz, Elton John, Eminem....  Now only Chainsmokers Major Lazer, Calvin Harris, Kygo, Ariana Grande, Sia and some shitty drake style hiphop. The problem is us, not the festival.

Anyway as long as they provide me 3 good headliners (like a normal festival) and a decent undercard I'm ok.

I disagree about your bad opinion on Mika, Sia and Ellie Goulding: I don't like them but they could fit the lineup of a 7 days festival. And I saw part of their performances and they were not bad, especially Sia. 

Biffy were brilliant for me in 2013, and so were Blur, Editors, Franz Ferdinand, Chase and Status, Tame Impala, Bad Religion, Netsky and a lot of good sets in the Arena... That lineup was good for me.

I like how the same festival can be shite for somebody and brilliant for somebody else :)

On 11/11/2016 at 2:51 PM, Diocane said:

Biffy were brilliant for me in 2013, and so were Blur, Editors, Franz Ferdinand, Chase and Status, Tame Impala, Bad Religion, Netsky and a lot of good sets in the Arena... That lineup was good for me.

I would have loved this lineup too! + Nick Cave and many others!

Electronic wise, a festival in Germany 11-13 august announced a bunch of shit acts (Martin Garrix...) BUT they also announced Netsky Live and The Bloody Beetroots! 

would love to have both on the a38!

oh they also have Major Lazer...

1 hour ago, thetime said:

When do you guys think the first announcement will be?

I think within 2 weeks. 

Balaton Sound and VOLT have released their aftermovies.

VOLT tickets go on sale tomorrow with Linkin Park as big headliner.

They'll give it a week or two then announce the first names for Sziget?

Maybe aftermovie next week, and names the week after it?

>> what would be your first prediction? (say 1 headliner, 1 dj end show and 8 undercard).

Justice as end show and Stromae as pop act would be perfect for me! And it would be cheap for the rest of the lineup. Unfortunately: would they sell like Rihanna and Hardwell sold?

The National are in Europe during Sziget, 10-11 august. Maybe they'll bring Bon Iver, it's their festival ;)

https://cefestivals.wordpress.com/2016/11/17/a-the-national-ujra-europaban-a-sziget-alatt/

Hardwell is a joke. Not that it's going to happen, but Justice have "We are your Friends" which would be a far better way to end a proceedings as opposed to the festival equivalent of listening to the radio. 

I really don't see why the 'end party' has to be a DJ. What's wrong with having a live dance act?

You won't get anyone as big as Rhianna (and you probably won't get anyone as shit either, apart from Guetta) so just get Stromae. He could've headlined in 2014 so they should just get on and book him. A Belgian artist who sings in French who is massive in France, Holland and Belgium, and who sells out decent sized venues in the UK? And who is actually very good? 

7 minutes ago, Uncle Liam said:

Hardwell is a joke. Not that it's going to happen, but Justice have "We are your Friends" which would be a far better way to end a proceedings as opposed to the festival equivalent of listening to the radio. 

I really don't see why the 'end party' has to be a DJ. What's wrong with having a live dance act?

You won't get anyone as big as Rhianna (and you probably won't get anyone as shit either, apart from Guetta) so just get Stromae. He could've headlined in 2014 so they should just get on and book him. A Belgian artist who sings in French who is massive in France, Holland and Belgium, and who sells out decent sized venues in the UK? And who is actually very good? 

I totally agree with you don't get me wrong :)

So...

RHCP
The National/ Bon Iver
Stromae/Imagine Dragons
The XX/ Biffy Clyro
Radiohead/Alt-J
Justice/Phoenix

+1 DJ.

'd love something like that.

Edited by Noeliam

Well I believe Radiohead aren't doing anything else next summer other than what has been announced. 

Biffy Clyro I just don't get. Pseudo-emo nonsense who (and doesn't this just sum up the world we live in?) wouldn't be nearly as big as they are if they didn't have a song covered on UK X-Factor a few year back. I seem to remember the field being pretty empty for them as well back in 2013 as well. And they aren't that big across Europe, they don't come close to headlining anywhere else other than the UK as far as I'm aware. 

The Specials are touring next year by the way, so that's them nailed on to play. 

47 minutes ago, Noeliam said:

I totally agree with you don't get me wrong :)

So...

RHCP
The National/ Bon Iver
Stromae/Imagine Dragons
The XX/ Biffy Clyro
Radiohead/Alt-J
Justice/Phoenix

+1 DJ.

'd love something like that.

Wish you were booking the lineup, would snap your hand off.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Wish you were booking the lineup, would snap your hand off.

Well, it's not unrealistic (except maybe Justice doing the end show): 2 expensive: RHCP/Radiohead and the others are cheap, with strong subs. it follows the patern of genre if anything! If I did book the lineup I'd make some changes though: Tame Impala for Biffy and The Flaming Lips for Imagine Dragons. 

I hope for one big rock name (Werchter already has Radiohead, Arcade Fire and Foo Fighters so very few possibilities for us to have one of them) but I'm afraid that Noeliam's prediction is not so realistic:

I can't see Radiohead,

I see 2 djs for sure,

and a popstar way more mainstream than Stromae (like Lady Gaga).

As they did for the Chemical brothers I think they would consider Justice a band