Benicassim 2017

rpfranks

1 minute ago, neilleeds88 said:

Never has been a hip hop festival though has it.

No but you'd expect maybe 1 reasonably well known representation.

2016: Kendrick Lamar

2015: Public Enemy

Plus the fact that they said they'd be getting a replacement in for Tyler, it's poor.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ConorC said:

Plus the fact that they said they'd be getting a replacement in for Tyler, it's poor.

If I wanted to go to a festival and see the top hip hop artists then I wouldn't be going to Beni. The indie artists that they have this year (it is mainly an indie festival) are some of the biggest available right now and probably make up the best overall line up in a fair few years.

As far as I can count, these are the international (non-Spanish) acts playing each day;

Thu Fri Sat  Sun
Bonobo [live] deadmau5 Biffy Clyro Crystal Fighters
The Weeknd Foals Red Hot Chili Peppers Kasabian
Stormzy Blossoms Liam Gallagher Years & Years
Ride The Sherlocks Dinosaur Jr. Dua Lipa
Kaleo 2manydjs The Strypes The View
Mick Jenkins  Temples Mura Masa Kaytranada 
The Courteeners  Blaenavon Peter Doherty  Slaves
The Jesus And Mary Chain Theme Park TCTS Ron Gallo
Sunflower Bean Ella Rae B.Traits Declan McKenna
Twin Peaks Olof Dreijer (The Knife) Rüfüs Tiga
Dream Wife Charlotte Church Lao Ra Peaking Lights
Kolsch Austra Marika Hackman The Blaze
  HONNE  James Vincent McMorrow Desperate Journalist  
Sylvan Esso Mykki Blanco    
Troyboi Childhood    
Ibibio Sound Machine Jameszoo    

i will take any tips for Spanish acts, aside from the obvious

10 minutes ago, gregory said:

i will take any tips for Spanish acts, aside from the obvious

Bigott (indie-rock and they sing in English), Belako (noisy/shoegaze), Mourn (shoegaze. they played Pitchfork Chicago and Primavera a couple years ago) and Joe Crepúsculo (Hot Chip gone crazy. Insanely good two years ago and must see).

This is acts on the main stage......

JUEVES 13: THE WEEKND, BONOBO (live), STORMZY, RIDE, BELAKO, SUNFLOWER BEAN.

VIERNES 14: FOALS, DEADMAU5, LOS PLANETAS, BLOSSOMS, MOURN, THE SHERLOCKS.

SÁBADO 15: RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, BIFFY CLYRO, LIAM GALLAGHER, DINOSAUR JR., THE STRYPES.

DOMINGO 16: KASABIAN, CRYSTAL FIGHTERS, YEARS & YEARS, DUA LIPA, DECLAN McKENNA, EVRIPIDIS AND HIS TRAGEDIES.

So assume that means the last acts on each night will be Bonobo, Deadmau5, Biffy Clyro and Crystal Fighters.... I hope that is the case anyway

Just now, oxford20 said:

This is acts on the main stage......

JUEVES 13: THE WEEKND, BONOBO (live), STORMZY, RIDE, BELAKO, SUNFLOWER BEAN.

VIERNES 14: FOALS, DEADMAU5, LOS PLANETAS, BLOSSOMS, MOURN, THE SHERLOCKS.

SÁBADO 15: RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, BIFFY CLYRO, LIAM GALLAGHER, DINOSAUR JR., THE STRYPES.

DOMINGO 16: KASABIAN, CRYSTAL FIGHTERS, YEARS & YEARS, DUA LIPA, DECLAN McKENNA, EVRIPIDIS AND HIS TRAGEDIES.

So assume that means the last acts on each night will be Bonobo, Deadmau5, Biffy Clyro and Crystal Fighters.... I hope that is the case anyway

Would much rather Biffy was on before RHCP

1 hour ago, neilleeds88 said:

If I wanted to go to a festival and see the top hip hop artists then I wouldn't be going to Beni. The indie artists that they have this year (it is mainly an indie festival) are some of the biggest available right now and probably make up the best overall line up in a fair few years.

Not really sure what point you're making, have I said the lineup in general isn't good or that Beni is a hip hop festival?

Tyler was on the lineup, he pulled out, then Beni said they'd be replacing him. They subsequently haven't made any effort to, thus my comments. Dunno how anyone could argue that not being pretty poor from the festival considering a fair share of people would've been hip hop fans buying tickets to see Tyler because of him being banned from the UK.

1 hour ago, ConorC said:

Maybe mala rodriguez is the replacement?

7 minutes ago, pigshair123 said:

Maybe mala rodriguez is the replacement?

I'd consider myself a pretty seasoned hip hop listener and I can honestly say I don't think I've ever heard a song by her.

Hardly a replacement is it? They've had over a month to sort something out and still another month before it starts, it's not like he's dropped out a few days before the festival.

11 minutes ago, ConorC said:

I'd consider myself a pretty seasoned hip hop listener and I can honestly say I don't think I've ever heard a song by her.

Hardly a replacement is it? They've had over a month to sort something out and still another month before it starts, it's not like he's dropped out a few days before the festival.

To be honest, I'd say it was poor from him not them. A lot of work goes into booking artists, replacements are not always available and in this business I imagine a month is pretty short notice.

Can't please everyone but I think they have done a good job this year.

I just spent 20 mins knocking this up; these are the official stage splits from the FIB email (the running order is almost the same order as acts listed in the FIB email, but adapted slightly)

Main Stage (Thurs 13) (Fri 14) (Sat 15) (Sun 16)
Bonobo [live] deadmau5 Biffy Clyro  Crystal Fighters
Stormzy Los Planetas Liam Gallagher Years & Years
Ride Blossoms Dinosaur Jr. Dua Lipa
Belako Mourn The Strypes Declan McKenna
Sunflower Bean The Sherlocks   Evripidies & His Tragedies

Visa Stage
The Jesus And Mary Chain Charlotte Church Mura Masa Tiga
The Courteeners  2manydjs Peter Doherty  Kaytranada 
Kaleo La Casa Azul Surfin' Bichos Love of Lesbian
Mick Jenkins Joe Crepúsculo Mala Rodriguez Slaves
Twin Peaks Temples Marika Hackman The View
Gener Childhood Las Kellies Ron Gallo
Eme DJ Ella Rae Arturo Paniagua The Magic Mor

South Beach Dance Stage
Kolsch Olof Dreijer (The Knife) TCTS Pinoal
HONNE  James Vincent McMorrow Rüfüs The Blaze
Sylvan Esso Austra Las Bistecs Bad Gyal
Troyboi Mykki Blanco B.Traits Peaking Lights
Ibibio Sound Machine Theme Park Lao Ra Sir Was
Bejo (& DJ Pimp) Jameszoo    

FIB Club
Viva Suecia

Blaenavon

Nudozurdo

Havalina
Tortel Flowers Biznaga Las Odio
Dream Wife Alien Tango Desperate Journalist Linda Guilala
Gatomidi The Wheels Como vivir en el campo Captains
Ten Bears Biggot Conttra One Path
Ochoymedio DJS Virginia Díaz Leicomers El Trinidad
  Cápsula Djohnston Amable
  Ochoymedio DJS Buenavista Gato
    Cascales Aldo Linares

Edited by gregory

8 minutes ago, neilleeds88 said:

To be honest, I'd say it was poor from him not them. A lot of work goes into booking artists, replacements are not always available and in this business I imagine a month is pretty short notice.

Can't please everyone but I think they have done a good job this year.

The blame would be squarely on him if Beni hadn't specifically said that they were gonna replace him.

If they hadn't made the point of saying that I don't think people would be too fussed, I wouldn't have been as bothered anyway. Still think it would've been a little underwhelming for a major festival to at least have some hip hop representation but it would've been much more understandable if they'd just been straight about it.

1 minute ago, gregory said:

These are the official stage splits (though the running order is TBC, but adapted from the FIB email)

Main Stage (Thurs 13) (Fri 14) (Sat 15) (Sun 16)
Bonobo [live] deadmau5 Biffy Clyro  Crystal Fighters
Stormzy Los Planetas Liam Gallagher Years & Years
Ride Blossoms Dinosaur Jr. Dua Lipa
Belako Mourn The Strypes Declan McKenna
Sunflower Bean The Sherlocks   Evripidies & His Tragedies
Visa Stage
The Jesus And Mary Chain Charlotte Church Mura Masa Tiga
The Courteeners  2manydjs Peter Doherty  Kaytranada 
Kaleo La Casa Azul Surfin' Bichos Love of Lesbian
Mick Jenkins Joe Crepúsculo Mala Rodriguez Slaves
Twin Peaks Temples Marika Hackman The View
Gener Childhood Las Kellies Ron Gallo
Eme DJ Ella Rae Arturo Paniagua The Magic Mor
South Beach Dance Stage
Kolsch Olof Dreijer (The Knife) TCTS Pinoal
HONNE  James Vincent McMorrow Rüfüs The Blaze
Sylvan Esso Austra Las Bistecs Bad Gyal
Troyboi Mykki Blanco B.Traits Peaking Lights
Ibibio Sound Machine Theme Park Lao Ra Sir Was
Bejo (& DJ Pimp) Jameszoo    
FIB Club
Dream Wife Blaenavon Nudozurdo Havalina
Viva Suecia Flowers Biznaga Las Odio
Tortel Alien Tango Desperate Journalist Linda Guilala
Gatomidi The Wheels Como vivir en el campo Captains
Ten Bears Biggot Conttra One Path
Gatomidi Virginia Díaz Leicomers El Trinidad
  Cápsula Djohnston Amable
    Buenavista Gato
    Cascales Aldo Linares

Really hope that doesn't mean Kaytranada is gonna clash with Kasabian.

4 minutes ago, ConorC said:

Really hope that doesn't mean Kaytranada is gonna clash with Kasabian.

Or that Kaleo and Stormzy will clash (my friends'll want to see stormzy <_<), or that Mura Masa and Biffy Clyro will clash as we all wanted to see Mura but Biffy would no doubt win there. Stage splits are always the saddest announcement as you find out what acts you'll miss :lol:

22 minutes ago, lannister said:

No Tyler, The Creator replacement? Really? Mick Jenkins must be a white guy singing folk songs...

I already mentioned Mick Jenkins a while back. I would assume he was already to be added to the lineup as he is nowhere near the household name Tyler is. It'd be like replacing Biffy Clyro with the Sherlocks.

17 minutes ago, andytommo said:

Isn't Mykki Blanco a rapper? 

Yes. But she was already on the lineup and again, like replacing Biffy Clyro with the Lancashire Hotpots. Not a recognised name in the world of hip hop.

Future/Nas/Rae Sremmurd/Travis Scott/Mac Miller/Young Thug. I'm not necessarily a big fan of them all but they're all names of a similar stature to Tyler who are in and around europe at the time and available off the top of my head.

Probably seems like I'm moaning a bit but to not have one major name from a major genre on the whole lineup? Why's anyone making excuses for them?

13 minutes ago, ConorC said:

Future/Nas/Rae Sremmurd/Travis Scott/Mac Miller/Young Thug. I'm not necessarily a big fan of them all but they're all names of a similar stature to Tyler who are in and around europe at the time and available off the top of my head.

Probably seems like I'm moaning a bit but to not have one major name from a major genre on the whole lineup? Why's anyone making excuses for them?

Apparently Nas was lined up to replace Tyler but he had to have a hip hoperation. 

4 minutes ago, ConorC said:

I'm with you Conor. Unusually unrepresented, and they said they would replace Tyler, and it looks like they haven't. So poor show all round on that front really. 

Apart from that, I actually really like this lineup now. I don't love any of the bands that much, but I'm happy there's so much to choose from that I've never seen before :)

1 hour ago, Twice said:

Or that Kaleo and Stormzy will clash (my friends'll want to see stormzy <_<), or that Mura Masa and Biffy Clyro will clash as we all wanted to see Mura but Biffy would no doubt win there. Stage splits are always the saddest announcement as you find out what acts you'll miss :lol:

In the exact same boat myself