Missing the Queue

Larraht

Hi everyone,

Usually we arrive from the south to gate A at about 6.30am on the Wednesday (facing pretty much zero traffic on the way), wait in the queue for a couple of hours and swear we are on site by 10.30-11am and camp in Woodsies.

This year, I've been giving some thought to arriving a little later in the day so that we get a full nights sleep before (we usually leave home about 4am) and we miss the queue. I was hoping that some of you may be able to help answer some questions - 

- Will there be more more traffic coming in from the south at, say, 11am? Will we be sitting in the car for hours to get in?

-  What time does the queue in usually die down?

- Will there still be room in Pylon by then (taking into account that Woodises won't be there any more and perhaps people may move down to Pylon? I'm only looking for one tent as it's just my partner and I this year.

I think that going a little later may set us up for the day better than missing a few hours sleep and then doing that tortuous queue first, my husband is dubious and reckon we will have a nightmare with traffic/finding a spot/getting in late at the point - I will head in at the same time if it means any of that nonsense.

Many Thanks. 

Pylon and Bushy have (in previous years) had space all weekend. Of course with the move of JP there be some incomers such as yourselves but I doubt it'll be a problem. I generally arrive mid-afternoon Wednesday and walk straight in. What time the queue dissipates I cannot say.

You won't have an issue finding somewhere to camp unless you want to be in pennards etc. I always arrive 6.30am Thursday morning to avoid traffic but suffer from the same lack of sleep the night before and feel like shite the whole time. Thinking of arriving Wednesday at about 4pm this year so hope to still avoid the traffic and queues.

I leave around 6am and I'm an hour south of the site; last year was the first time I drove and parked, we had much the same experience as you.

the years before that I have got the drop off coach, gone on via disabled, etc etc... I think from experience, the earlier the better - leaving at 8am would almost certainly mean some traffic at least.

Does anybody have any advice on the queue at gate C on Wednesday, and the Queue for CV east?

We will already have a caravan there so the spot in the CV fields is not the issue. Would arriving at say 3pm be very busy? Or will most people be in by then?

This is not my first Glastonbury but I arrived on Thursday last time and there were no queues as such, just a gentle stream of people.

@Stooonami @Deaf Nobby Burton CV East every Tuesday I've arrived around the official opening time of noon and there has never been a significant queue, you pretty much get in straight away, and I guess that's the same for later on, if you're earlier there may be a queue before it opens

the Gate C isn't an issue on the Wednesday unless you need to get in early, last year we went down maybe 9:30 and took no more than 30 mins to get in. Like the other gates there's a long queue for people waiting for the gates to open at 8. 

Edited by Avalon_Fields

18 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

@Stooonami @Deaf Nobby Burton CV East every Tuesday I've arrived around the official opening time of noon and there has never been a significant queue, you pretty much get in straight away, and I guess that's the same for later on, if you're earlier there may be a queue before it opens

the Gate C isn't an issue on the Wednesday unless you need to get in early, last year we went down maybe 9:30 and took no more than 30 mins to get in. Like the other gates there's a long queue for people waiting for the gates to open at 8. 

Thanks!!! :D

What time do the gates actually open on Wednesday?

I've always showed up around 7.30/ 8 and the queues are the worst. Too lazy to get there earlier, too scared of not getting a good spot to get there later.

are the queues for people coming on national express or see tickets coaches smaller or do you just get added to the main queue? 

someone told me they went straight in but they might have got in after peak time :huh:

the queue from the car park was enormous from about 6am last time i went............

Edited by pinkmolly226

I don't understand people getting there very early and wanting to get there and queue , for the sake of a few hours I normally rock up at 10 ish queue a little then straight in.

i would never start queuing in the morning at 5 am just to be in that early 

37 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

are the queues for people coming on national express or see tickets coaches smaller or do you just get added to the main queue? 

someone told me they went straight in but they might have got in after peak time :huh:

the queue from the car park was enormous from about 6am last time i went............

The coaches drop off right by gate A, and you're straight in. Same with the shuttles from the train station.

The big queues people are talking about here are people who've walked from the car parks, in the main.

I tend to rock up at about 11 (I'm approx four hours drive down the coast) and there tends to be very little traffic around the site, and no queues at the gate - I'm not all that fussed where we camp but it's typically Michaels mead/top webbs ash kind of area. There's always been room while we've been doing this - I can't envisage kipping in the car or in the queue outside the gate, I'd break myself for the weekend! 

50 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

Depending on what time you arrive there may be a queue but it's only other people coming off the coaches. The queue from the coach park joins the front of the queue from the car parks at gate A

22 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I don't understand people getting there very early and wanting to get there and queue , for the sake of a few hours I normally rock up at 10 ish queue a little then straight in.

i would never start queuing in the morning at 5 am just to be in that early 

We like to get our spot in Oxylers and there's 10 of us. I don't mind the queue if it means we can have a nice central base camp.

Cheers for the replies... I have convinced my, less than enthusiastic, husband that we will be fine to leave Plymouth around 8am rather than 4am and not end up camping in a long drop or whatever. Like I said, he still thinks there will be traffic of epic proportions and a queue that will last well into Thursday night but hopefully everyone's responses are more reliable than his hyperbole!

14 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Cheers for the replies... I have convinced my, less than enthusiastic, husband that we will be fine to leave Plymouth around 8am rather than 4am and not end up camping in a long drop or whatever. Like I said, he still thinks there will be traffic of epic proportions and a queue that will last well into Thursday night but hopefully everyone's responses are more reliable than his hyperbole!

Show him this to set his mind a little at rest...... 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pilton,+Shepton+Mallet,+Somerset/@51.1588127,-2.5994256,310m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4872234879b7a5db:0xd05fc2ae5151fc35!8m2!3d51.1657253!4d-2.589688

This is approx 10.30-11am on Weds of 2014.  If Ive done it the right way the metal gate snakes next to Gate A are in the middle of the picture - you can see the que goes round about 3 of them - Id hazard a guess that was a 20min que ish.  To the right of the image is Darble so if you scroll down a little bit you can see Pylon / Rivermead etc - and the acres of space

Cant speak for the M5 as Im a northern monkey so come the other way.

42 minutes ago, stuwilky said:

Show him this to set his mind a little at rest...... 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pilton,+Shepton+Mallet,+Somerset/@51.1588127,-2.5994256,310m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4872234879b7a5db:0xd05fc2ae5151fc35!8m2!3d51.1657253!4d-2.589688

This is approx 10.30-11am on Weds of 2014.  If Ive done it the right way the metal gate snakes next to Gate A are in the middle of the picture - you can see the que goes round about 3 of them - Id hazard a guess that was a 20min que ish.  To the right of the image is Darble so if you scroll down a little bit you can see Pylon / Rivermead etc - and the acres of space

Cant speak for the M5 as Im a northern monkey so come the other way.

Many thanks for this! Really interesting to have a poke around on too - shown the husband and he let out a sigh and resigned himself to doing as I wish. We will arrive refreshed and ready for mid day drinking.