Bands you'd never heard of before this festival that you're looking forward to seeing

RichardWaller

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, I've been listening the the playlist on shuffle for a while and at first just kept coming across things I wasn't keen on.  Found a few I liked (Band of Horses, Bat for Lashes) but not many.  And then tonight I put it on and every single one seemed to be one I liked - and almost all of them new to me.

So thanks @Brave Sir Robin.  I'm absolutely loving St Paul and the Broken Bones, Ernest Ranglin, Quantic, Seafret, Mac Demarco, Man and the Echo, Frightened Rabbit, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Lewis and Leigh, Kovacs and loads of others I've never heard of and never would have without your help.  Please let me buy you a drink!

Now I am even more impatient to know who's playing when!

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

It's funny, I've been listening the the playlist on shuffle for a while and at first just kept coming across things I wasn't keen on.  Found a few I liked (Band of Horses, Bat for Lashes) but not many.  And then tonight I put it on and every single one seemed to be one I liked - and almost all of them new to me.

So thanks @Brave Sir Robin.  I'm absolutely loving St Paul and the Broken Bones, Ernest Ranglin, Quantic, Seafret, Mac Demarco, Man and the Echo, Frightened Rabbit, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Lewis and Leigh, Kovacs and loads of others I've never heard of and never would have without your help.  Please let me buy you a drink!

Now I am even more impatient to know who's playing when!

@Beerqueen I am in total agreement with you. @Brave Sir Robin 's stuff on shuffle seems to do what our iPods do - it depends what mood 'they're' in! Sometimes the iPods can be very naughty indeed!

We have three-and-a-half iPods between us and when one of them is 'misbehaving' by playing songs we like very occasionally but not loads of them at once, we just switch iPods.

One evening over supper, BSR's playlist shuffled lots of trance/dance/house stuff and we almost lost the will to live! I need to sort out my own Glasto playlist, albeit immensely thankful that BSR has pointed us in the right direction.

1 minute ago, JanieM28 said:

@Beerqueen I am in total agreement with you. @Brave Sir Robin 's stuff on shuffle seems to do what our iPods do - it depends what mood 'they're' in! Sometimes the iPods can be very naughty indeed!

We have three-and-a-half iPods between us and when one of them is 'misbehaving' by playing songs we like very occasionally but not loads of them at once, we just switch iPods.

One evening over supper, BSR's playlist shuffled lots of trance/dance/house stuff and we almost lost the will to live! I need to sort out my own Glasto playlist, albeit immensely thankful that BSR has pointed us in the right direction.

Ha ha!  My Ipod is old and doesn't support Spotify.  So I either listen on my phone in the car/kitchen or on my Now box or Amazon stick in the living room.  Funnily enough, I don't like the layout of Spotify much on the Amazon stick so switched to my Now box - and that's when I got all the good stuff!  I hadn't made the connection!  My Now box obviously has the same taste in music as me whereas the Amazon stick is into dance stuff.  I've just made a "My Glasto" playlist and whenever a song comes on I like I just hit the Add to Playlist button.  Works a treat.

Edward II playing Avalon - they got a couple of mentions in the Avalon thread when they released their line up. They've got hangover cure written all over them.

That's a little tongue in cheek, and deserve a bit more credit than that. Seriously, go check them out if you haven't done so already. Will hopefully see you there! :)

19 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Edward II playing Avalon - they got a couple of mentions in the Avalon thread when they released their line up. They've got hangover cure written all over them.

That's a little tongue in cheek, and deserve a bit more credit than that. Seriously, go check them out if you haven't done so already. Will hopefully see you there! :)

Listened to a little and liked what I heard!  Have added them to my playlist to listen some more. Thanks - we might well bump into each other!

Edited by Beerqueen

On 25/05/2016 at 10:50 AM, billum said:

In case anyone's not aware, the Spotify playlist mentioned above is curated by eFest staple Brave Sir Robin, much kodos to him! What a fantastic thing of wonder and glory it is. My discovery (although I feel I'm a little late to this party) is Band of Skulls (and after loving them with a passion I see they're still only TBC! Roll on Announcement Wednesday for their confirm....) Also loving Nothing But Thieves from that playlist

Both bands are great live.. JP for both in reckon 

50 minutes ago, Anderson19 said:

Thanks for the St Paul tip, very very good!

25 minutes ago, Pbird81 said:

Efests needs to start selling St Paul t-shirts so we'll recognise each other....

It's just occurred to me that we ought to be quiet about St Paul and the Broken Bones.

If word spreads about them too much, we will be inundated with a lot of people at the gig. I am assuming/hoping that they will be performing in the Acoustic Tent and I would like to be able to get inside and sit down to enjoy it, rather than standing outside of an over-flowing tent watching the tops of their heads!

We are fortunate on these threads that there are loads of people who like trance/dance/techno/rubbish stuff, so, hopefully only those of us who like 'proper' music will turn up.

In the meantime, perhaps we should keep 'schtum'...

Most of the stuff on the main poster has seemed a little drab to me when trying to find new stuff.

A few things that have worked into my to do list are Paradise Bangkok International Molum Band, Novelist and YAK, who are according to clashfinder playing JPT.

*disclaimer* I know clashfinder isn't accurate and can be edited by anyone before anyone starts ranting.

7 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

It's just occurred to me that we ought to be quiet about St Paul and the Broken Bones.

If word spreads about them too much, we will be inundated with a lot of people at the gig. I am assuming/hoping that they will be performing in the Acoustic Tent and I would like to be able to get inside and sit down to enjoy it, rather than standing outside of an over-flowing tent watching the tops of their heads!

We are fortunate on these threads that there are loads of people who like trance/dance/techno/rubbish stuff, so, hopefully only those of us who like 'proper' music will turn up.

In the meantime, perhaps we should keep 'schtum'...

Oi!

I'll ponder your insult whilst waiting for Radiohead to come on at the Roundhouse tonight, you cheeky scamp!

:)

Ben

Blossoms

Joanne Shaw Taylor

Protoje.

Agree with the OP that the choice and availability of new music makes it bewildering.  I listen to 6Music a lot as I spend a fair amount of time driving and I always watch Jools.  I also follow some new alternative music feeds on Twitter, but there's never enough time to narrow stuff down!

When it was in The Park, I used to hag round the BBC Introducing stage a lot and found some good stuff in there. Also saw Ed Sheeran & 2DCC when they were unsigned in 2009 with a crowd of about 15 people - so it wasn't all good. ;)

Another one I'm looking forward to that I've never seen, but for very different reasons is New Order.  One of the bands on my "unticked box list".  If we get a surprise show by Depeche Mode somewhere then there aren't that many unticked boxes left!