Bring Me The Horizon

chestwig

BMTH have every right to be on the bill, but the more i think about it the more Other headliner just seems wrong. like said above, they'll pull one of the smallest Other headliner crowds yet, especially up against Coldplay who will pull one of the biggest, and they just seem like such a weird choice to close the second biggest stage on the final day. what with this new Loaded article stating that the Other headliners are Disclosure, New Order and BMTH and omitting LCD, i'm hoping there's been a mix up and LCD are actually above BMTH, which would sort out so many clashes for me and absolutely make my weekend

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Ian Brown does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the mighty Bernard Sumner. Ian Brown is a poor man's Liam Gallagher.

PS - I don't quite get the Liam/Ian comparison you make there though. Liam was a brilliant singer, Ian never was, but he didn't need to be.

20 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Ian Brown does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the mighty Bernard Sumner. Ian Brown is a poor man's Liam Gallagher.

Nope.  Other way round. Liam Gallagher decided he wanted to be in a band at A roses gig

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

BMTH have every right to be on the bill, but the more i think about it the more Other headliner just seems wrong. like said above, they'll pull one of the smallest Other headliner crowds yet, especially up against Coldplay who will pull one of the biggest, and they just seem like such a weird choice to close the second biggest stage on the final day. what with this new Loaded article stating that the Other headliners are Disclosure, New Order and BMTH and omitting LCD, i'm hoping there's been a mix up and LCD are actually above BMTH, which would sort out so many clashes for me and absolutely make my weekend

Underworld/New Order/LCD sounds fucking great to me, but its not looking good I don't think.

I think this is an example of forgetting who actually goes to the festival. As you've all mentioned, they will definitely have one of the smallest Other stage crowds of all the headliners over the years. Just because BMTH are doing arena tours, doesn't mean they are a big band in the context of Glastonbury. I'd rather them not be there since they are utter cretins, but if they are then headlining the Other stage is a stretch. John Peel headliners would be fine for them and, honestly, I don't even think that stage would be packed out.

Context is really key when it comes to Glastonbury. There are plenty of bands that would headline other festivals and sell out arenas, but that doesn't mean they would be a big deal at Glastonbury. 

I'm a big fan of Bring Me The Horizon, mainly the two most recent albums, and saw them in Brixton this year and they put on a very good show. Like Ian Brown, Oli Sykes is not the most proficient vocalists, but their shows have a lot of energy and their new stuff is very sing-along compared to their old stuff, so easy for most people to get into.

But as I've said before, I'm hoping they don't clash with Coldplay (though they're probably gonna). Even though BMTH are more my kinda thing than Coldplay are, Coldplay put on one of the best live shows around, and I'd like to see them again and I think them on the Pyramid will be quite a special performance.

I think we should also remember that this forum doesn't necessarily represent the overall Glastonbury goers demographic. If it did, the Pyramid field would probably be empty most of the time by the way people go on here.

Edited by paulmuchmore

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

with James Blake seemingly confirmed to be headlining it on the Saturday night then i think EW&F are pretty much a given to be doing the Sunday now 

LCD/James Blake/EWF as my headliners would be a perfect festival for me

I'm sure there was a thread at some point, but I wonder what the average age on this forum is?

I'm 25 and a BMTH fan, and think E,W&F are a bit naff, but a lot of people on here are looking forward to them.

I can understand that a lot of the older generation wouldn't like their style of music, but then again my mum is 59 and she'd probably watch Bring Me The Horizon over Earth Wind & Fire.

2 hours ago, HoTWire said:

To be fair the members of this forum have very middling and old tastes in music in general,... Stones Roses,  Radiohead ... okay grand dad.

BMTH would be targeted at the more youthful demographic I think.

Brilliant thing with a festival is you don't have to watch them... you can go and watch your own preferred brand of turgid shit.

It's nothing to do with age. Plenty of younger people have taste, just like when I was 15 years old back in 2000 plenty of people listened my age to The Smiths even though they had spit up over a decade previously.

And how are Radiohead "middling"? :lol: They might be a bit out there for some people, fair enough, but you can hardly call them middling. 

To be fair plenty of rubbish has played the Other before, so this would just be another rubbish booking in a long line. But it's a shame they've got the headline spot, as there have been some classic Other headliners over the year too. 

9 minutes ago, paulmuchmore said:

I'm sure there was a thread at some point, but I wonder what the average age on this forum is?

I'm 25 and a BMTH fan, and think E,W&F are a bit naff, but a lot of people on here are looking forward to them.

I can understand that a lot of the older generation wouldn't like their style of music, but then again my mum is 59 and she'd probably watch Bring Me The Horizon over Earth Wind & Fire.

Well I am 50 and grew up with EWF and have hoped for years they would play GF so them for me is special......... that said I love punk and heavy metal too but just don't like BMTH

9 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

And how are Radiohead "middling"? :lol: They might be a bit out there for some people, fair enough, but you can hardly call them middling. 

Because they are hardly actually experimental, even though I guess a lot of their fans think they are (similar to arcade fire (as previously stated in the headliners thread somewhere)), of course they only think that because they don't listen to actually experimental music.

Always remember :

38f444950727caf232cf6c61cc174c0e.jpg

That counts for you, me, everyone.  Someone somewhere hates the music you listen to and thinks you are an idiot for listening to it.  So next time you are busy lambasting a band for being shite, someone, somewhere loves that band, and someone else thinks your favourite band is shit.

Only Other headliner I've ever watched was Orbital I think.

Edited by HoTWire

And by the way, me saying EW&F are a bit naff doesn't mean I don't think they shouldn't be at Glasto - they absolutely should and it's a great booking for West Holts - was just using it to illustrate how people's tastes vary so much. And it is clear that they'll go down well, they're just not for me, as BMTH aren't for a lot of people on here.

Although I do think they'd be fine headlining the John Peel, I think it's great that one of Britain's most popular rock bands of the moment are looking like they'll be an Other head where they have tended to be more dance orientated recently. Where Pyramid provides a mix of genres, Other should be full of popular indie/rock/dance, with the JP to supplement it, so I don't think BMTH are out of place at all.

18 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

Because they are hardly actually experimental, even though I guess a lot of their fans think they are (similar to arcade fire (as previously stated in the headliners thread somewhere)), of course they only think that because they don't listen to actually experimental music.

Always remember :

38f444950727caf232cf6c61cc174c0e.jpg

That counts for you, me, everyone.  Someone somewhere hates the music you listen to and thinks you are an idiot for listening to it.  So next time you are busy lambasting a band for being shite, someone, somewhere loves that band, and someone else thinks your favourite band is shit.

Only Other headliner I've ever watched was Orbital I think.

No one thinks Arcade Fire are experimental, just that they're a lot of fun. Compared to most acts, Radiohead have a much wider repertoire though. Much of it isn't all that experimental in the grand scheme of things, but compared to just about every other main stage act it definitely is. Certainly more than BMTH...

Oh and what you said could apply to literally any criticism of music ever. I could fart into a microphone, someone could say it's rubbish then I could make that argument....anyway that in itself is another discussion entirely. 

Edited by arcade fireman

2 hours ago, Alan_C said:

I don't think I've seen anyone on here say they are planning on seeing them, which is very weird for one of the big stage headliners.

I'm more than likely to see them. They were really really good on their academy tour this year. 

Most people I know who are Going are torn by the earth wind and fire/bmth/coldplay clash

2 hours ago, HoTWire said:

To be fair the members of this forum have very middling and old tastes in music in general,... Stones Roses,  Radiohead ... okay grand dad.

BMTH would be targeted at the more youthful demographic I think.

Brilliant thing with a festival is you don't have to watch them... you can go and watch your own preferred brand of turgid shit.

well i'm young and think their shite