not-Glastonbury 2018

eFestivals

I'm cool with this. Have been to every one since 1994 but it's a lot of money and I almost need an excuse to do something different for a year! I can't see myself ever missing one on the farm, but these days I can only afford one festival in a year so it's this one. I'd like to try Latitude or Festival No. 6... or of course whatever this replacement festival is if that sounds good enough.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, russycarps said:

Yep. It would be quite tragic really. A load of people desperately trying to recreate glastonbury at a pale imitation of the place. So much of the appeal of glastonbury is its mystique. Why would anyone pick this new festival over any of the other hundreds of options?  Because the woman who thought bringing beyonce to the pyramid stage was a good idea is in charge? Dont make me laugh.   

Moving the festival would sound it's death knell. I'd give it 5 years. 

Agreed. Something has gone wrong with the direction of this festival...And I think it becoming increasingly obvious where  the reason for that lays

5 hours ago, russycarps said:

Yep. It would be quite tragic really. A load of people desperately trying to recreate glastonbury at a pale imitation of the place. So much of the appeal of glastonbury is its mystique. Why would anyone pick this new festival over any of the other hundreds of options?  Because the woman who thought bringing beyonce to the pyramid stage was a good idea is in charge? Dont make me laugh.   

Moving the festival would sound it's death knell. I'd give it 5 years. 

I didn't realise you had a time machine and had attended this new festival.  Don't suppose you can bring back some stock prices, or a sports almanac next time?

19 minutes ago, roman_skidoo said:

but I was referring to this.....

Yet as mentioned, pop acts had been booked to headline before right back from the early 90s onwards. Are we excommunicating Michael as well? Is it the case the festival has been going the wrong direction since it started?

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

2 minutes ago, roman_skidoo said:

OK to be more explicit because of who is now 'in charge'

This is the most passive aggressive example of being explicit I've ever seen.  You fear change and Emily is in charge, so obviously she's the problem. Except that's bollocks.

Michael - Virgin tent + Smirnoff Ice bar

Emily - The Park + reduction of branding across the site.

I know where I'd rather spend time. Emily is doing a good job. Who would you have in charge instead?

ummm not following your opening statement.. but anyway.

You have picked contrasts that suit your opinion.. ( as I have too ) but for me the underlying ethos of the festival of 'earlier' years was my preference. It is not a question of who I would prefer to be in charge, just voicing an opinion on the direction.

Hope that is alright with you.....

3 minutes ago, roman_skidoo said:

...but for me the underlying ethos of the festival of 'earlier' years was my preference. It is not a question of who I would prefer to be in charge, just voicing an opinion on the direction.

That old chestnut. Again.

Fuck it, I'll probably have nothing else to do; I'll go.

12 minutes ago, russycarps said:

No, it's an utter lack of imagination and a belief that record sales and celebrity status are the be all and end all.

Surely utter lack of imagination would have been booking a white rock guitar band, not booking a female of colour singer from a genre not typically represented at the top of the festival.

Could be a good thing? A fresh start? A chance to downsize? Focus more on the smaller stuff? Rid itself of being a summer  must do for the general population?

Likely will just be another festival, brought to you by the creators of Glastonbury type affair though.

11 hours ago, Spindles said:

Long Marston airfield is a good site, central location, holds 30-50,000 comfortably and good experience with holding festivals and events.  I miss Phoenix ;)

I liked the Phoenix { I worked at them all } - we used to camp at the rear of the Arena in the crew area so have seen the other side and its not as flat as the Public area - difficult to say how many it would accommodate and it does have traffic issues and its possible the local Council would be well against it.

time will tell as to where and if it moves.

its hit the Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3538415/

9 hours ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Surely utter lack of imagination would have been booking a white rock guitar band, not booking a female of colour singer from a genre not typically represented at the top of the festival.

are you suggesting there's only rock guitar bands and chart-music popstars? No other options at all?

I'm unsure why you are bringing race in to things. Care to explain?

25 minutes ago, russycarps said:

are you suggesting there's only rock guitar bands and chart-music popstars? No other options at all?

I'm unsure why you are bringing race in to things. Care to explain?

Im suggesting exactly what I said, that as the overwhelming majority of Glastonbury headliners have been white guitar male rock bands, the booking they could have made with the least imagination would have been one of those. 

With regards to race, I suspect you're fully aware yourself the music industry has an inherent problem with giving equal representation to those of other races which therefore unfortunately can manifest itself unfortunately in Glastonbury.

10 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Don't fancy waking up with a lion in my tent thank you very much.

Oh I dunno. A  Lion, Snickers Bar, maybe a Twix. Be quite welcome in my tent. 

As long as the speculated fallow year event is not really a thinly disguised dry run for a complete Glastonbury Festival relocation, I don't see any problem with it. I'd not be a fan of Longleat though as a location tbh - the utter cnut who runs it now, Ceawlin, Viscount Weymouth I believe, is the worst kind of money grabbing elitist you'll find, who has no problem with fucking over his current tenant farmers and would likely I'd have thought, try to capitalise on the festival being on his land as much as possible.

It would have to be fairly far away from the animal enclosures too I would think, not least for their comfort but also punters safety! Otherwise you'll get a situation a bit like what London Zoo has been recently criticised for.

Hopefully it wouldn't be Centerparcs branded either...!

Another festival on the parkland of a stately home is also not particularly original either. Give me those Avalon Fields any day for a few more years I hope. I'd rather Glasto ended gracefully and on a high than be relocated personally, though I do of course appreciate the difficulties that have amounted over the years.

Edited by Pinhead