2016 Get Fit Thread

koj

1 hour ago, richroet said:

If it's a good gym (not the budget kind) you will be far better off asking for an instructor to show you what to do rather than relying on an app. They will be able to give you a good all round programme designed for your goals rather than a generic app.

Sorry, didn't phrase that very well. I know what I'm doing with regards to how to do each exercise, I have generally tended to stick to doing weights in classes as opposed to on my own. As I'm just looking to build extra strength on top of my roller derby and cross training, the app just gives me a more structured routine rather than just rocking up and doing a bit of whatever takes my fancy.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, sophlamb said:

Sorry, didn't phrase that very well. I know what I'm doing with regards to how to do each exercise, I have generally tended to stick to doing weights in classes as opposed to on my own. As I'm just looking to build extra strength on top of my roller derby and cross training, the app just gives me a more structured routine rather than just rocking up and doing a bit of whatever takes my fancy.

Fair enough - I have gone away from weights all together at the moment apart from in Grit Strength classes which are a great intense HIIT/Weights session

5 minutes ago, richroet said:

Fair enough - I have gone away from weights all together at the moment apart from in Grit Strength classes which are a great intense HIIT/Weights session

Just looked up Grit Strength - looks great! We don't do it in our gym unfortunately. I am a bit of a Body Pump addict myself, lots of barbell exercises

Just now, sophlamb said:

Just looked up Grit Strength - looks great! We don't do it in our gym unfortunately. I am a bit of a Body Pump addict myself, lots of barbell exercises

Yeah Grit strength is bodypump x3

Combined Grit with bodycombat last night for a real hit

On 13 April 2016 at 10:17 AM, maelzoid said:

I'm doing the London Marathon on Sunday !  Very excited about the whole occasion, but I think I'm a bit in denial about the running part :D.  Good luck to anyone else who is taking part, I think there are a few from here.  We should find walking round the festival a piece of cake ;)

Have had to give up using my running machine as my knees no longer like the impact. Friends have suggested cycling, so found myself in Halfords spending £299 this morning on a hybrid road/off road bike. Picking it up on Friday, so fitness and stamina building will continue next weekend!

Yep, another one here up for it. It's easy enough knowing what to do and what not to do, been going well since February, finally in the right frame of mind for it. I'm a big guy, 6ft3 and right now 17st5lb, 2st down so far this year, one more in time for Glastonbury will be great, anything else wil be a bonus. Wearing a pair of jeans today that I haven't been able to for two years. Cycling to work, going to gym a couple of times a week, eating better. Want to be in better shape with more stamina for Glastonbury cos it really is an endurance!

49 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Yep, another one here up for it. It's easy enough knowing what to do and what not to do, been going well since February, finally in the right frame of mind for it. I'm a big guy, 6ft3 and right now 17st5lb, 2st down so far this year, one more in time for Glastonbury will be great, anything else wil be a bonus. Wearing a pair of jeans today that I haven't been able to for two years. Cycling to work, going to gym a couple of times a week, eating better. Want to be in better shape with more stamina for Glastonbury cos it really is an endurance!

Well done on the weight loss mate I'm sure you will shift that extra stone before Glasto (6'3 at 16 stone and you will look good)

I am similar height/weight to you at the minute so need to lose a stone or so, I am in the gym and cycling a fair bit but it's the beers that scupper the weight loss for me!

Edited by rubenz

I'm fairly skinny except for a beer belly which I'm trying to get rid of and I'm trying to build up some stamina cos I'm pretty unfit. I'm going for a brisk walk in my lunch break 3 or 4 times a week and covering about 3 miles each time which should help.

My biggest worry is that I've got dodgy knees so I've self referred to the physio and looking into some strengthening exercises. 

3 hours ago, rubenz said:

Well done on the weight loss mate I'm sure you will shift that extra stone before Glasto (6'3 at 16 stone and you will look good)

I am similar height/weight to you at the minute so need to lose a stone or so, I am in the gym and cycling a fair bit but it's the beers that scupper the weight loss for me!

Cheers, sounds like we're in similar boats, can both do it. Beer is a bit of a problem to me too.. I've been calorie counting which does help. Tedious but helpful... 

We'll probably walk a good 50 miles over the Glastonbury weekend, I'll be well gutted if I put owt on after that. 

lost 3lb last week which is brilliant for me I never really lose anything more than 1 or 2 a week

I've got back into running which always makes me stick to my diet even more, the way I see it if I've put that much effort into leaving the house and running its ridiculous to then go and eat badly

woke up at 6:30 this morning instead of my usual time of 7:30 so I decided to get my arse in gear and managed to do a 3k run in just over 20 mins which has me buzzing

2 minutes ago, sloseph said:

lost 3lb last week which is brilliant for me I never really lose anything more than 1 or 2 a week

I've got back into running which always makes me stick to my diet even more, the way I see it if I've put that much effort into leaving the house and running its ridiculous to then go and eat badly

woke up at 6:30 this morning instead of my usual time of 7:30 so I decided to get my arse in gear and managed to do a 3k run in just over 20 mins which has me buzzing

That's amazing well done! Making me feel bad about my egg and bagel for breakfast, I feel like I should have had a green smoothie and done some Yoga instead! 

Well done to everyone and I hope you all achieve your goals

I'm 3/4 of the way there with an aim of shifting 2.5k having lost 7.5k since January, by cutting down on beer (Difficult out here in CZ, with great beer at less than £1)

The two things that I think that have had the biggest impact have been, getting out of bed and going to the gym on the days I really just don't want to get out of bed before work, MONDAYs!!!, so maintaining the routine and saying I'm only have x beers and Leaving the pub at that number.

So good luck everyone see you all slimmer, healthier and happy at the farm :)

My get fit campaign is yet to get any momentum going this year. I'm just coming off the back of my birthday weekend so there are still a lot of leftovers around the place and I'm just starting a week's leave.

I expect I'll properly start the fitness drive next Monday, which will give me about 7 weeks to lose a stone which should be more than doable for me!

Edited by Andeeroo

Only lost half pound this week, bit disappointing, but feeling better at gym & swimming, improving times in the main, managed 5 visits.

Now need to lose 1.5lb per week for 7 weeks but with two bank holidays in there :-|

I shall keep going! Hope others are progressing.

Third gym session last night after a few weeks off through illness, very pleased with results so far. only working on cardio atm, 15min cycle (7K covered), 13 mins rowing (3.1K) and 15 mins run (2K). Up from my first session last Tuesday of 15min cycle (5.5K), 10mins rowing (2K) and 10 mins running (1.3K).

Aiming for 14mins rowing this Wednesday before hitting 15mins across all three cardio workouts next week.

Swimming also this weekend and then slowly start introducing weights back into the mix :)

I've been fairly inactive so far this year so I've joined the gym last week to get fit, mostly for Glastonbury. Last year I was going to the gym regularly (cardio and weights) and noticed a HUGE difference to my stamina at Glasto. I managed to carry booze from the car while only stopping once which is impressive for me and well worth exercising for :lol:

Hoping just under 2 months is enough to get fit in, it should be if I can motivate myself to get to the gym regularly enough!

43 minutes ago, MrHew said:

Everyone is doing great!

I did my first ever pilates class on Thursday to try and improve my core strength. I ache pretty much everywhere now! 

Go you! Pilates is a killer but such a good workout! I devoured a whole bar of galaxy last night so I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself. I may watch and attempt some Pilates on YouTube