2016 Get Fit Thread

koj

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

To anybody looking to lose weight/make a lifestyle change I'd highly recommend reading up on intermittent fasting

http://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting

Been doing this for three years now and it's had nothing but positive effects on my life. Not for everybody as some people are just insistent that they can't go without breakfast (everybody definitely can) but definitely worth scanning through and even possibly trial running. Makes the whole 'dieting' process far easier and less of a daily slog

When you say positive effects, do you mean weight loss, or mentally, or anything else? I'd like to try it but just wondering, from the point of view of someone who does it, what you notice are the actual effects? Thanks :)

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, feline said:

When you say positive effects, do you mean weight loss, or mentally, or anything else? I'd like to try it but just wondering, from the point of view of someone who does it, what you notice are the actual effects? Thanks :)

Yep you're actually a lot more focuses mentally, if you're in a calorie deficit the weight loss is far more noticeable than without, and the first week may be a tiny bit of a struggle hunger wise, but afterwards I find that I don't get hungry at all and could easily go longer if I wanted. I find that if I eat breakfast now I actually get hungrier again faster. Wake up in the morning, have a black coffee/green tea and a load of water and I won't have any real desire to eat until well in to the day (helps if you're distracted by something like work instead of just sitting there thinking about how you're not eating)

7 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

I did really well till last 3weeks and nowe I'm at the part where it gets harder. I've done diets before and not kept it off so this time I really need to make a lifestyle rather then a quick fix for the summer.

Started doing weights a month ago on advice of a few people which seems to help.

2 awful photos but one is from 16th of January and 1 is from Saturday 

20160412_073615.jpg

20160412_074337.jpg

Don't be too conscious of your weight if you are hitting the weights. Remember muscle is heavier than fat so you will be getting fitter and trimmer but potentially put weight on 

13 hours ago, richroet said:

Don't be too conscious of your weight if you are hitting the weights. Remember muscle is heavier than fat so you will be getting fitter and trimmer but potentially put weight on 

Muscle is more dense than fat (vs being heavier as weight is weight) so it takes up less space... so you will appear leaner even though you may weigh the same or more.

I and a few fellow attendees are seriously considering a jog / run at the festival. I think we'd do it on Thursday morning (ie 11ish) and are thinking of running along the inside fence as best as possible.  Should be about 6 miles.  We're keen runners and its always been an idea, just to bring a little bit of running into the festival, and also a novel way to see a lot of the site.

The one logistical issue would be showers afterward, but with a bit of forward planning could be dealt with.

Any opinions? Any other runners interested in joining us?  It's agreed you'd have to wear a wife-beater and headband

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:08 AM, FloorFiller said:

To anybody looking to lose weight/make a lifestyle change I'd highly recommend reading up on intermittent fasting

Been doing this for three years now and it's had nothing but positive effects on my life. Not for everybody as some people are just insistent that they can't go without breakfast (everybody definitely can) but definitely worth scanning through and even possibly trial running. Makes the whole 'dieting' process far easier and less of a daily slog

+1 for intermittent fasting! I do the 5:2 diet. I still work out on fast days and I have noticed it has made me a lot more powerful (sports wise) on the days when I am eating normally. In general it has made me feel a lot less sluggish and it's especially nice to do after a bit of a heavy weekend or a holiday!

12 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I and a few fellow attendees are seriously considering a jog / run at the festival. I think we'd do it on Thursday morning (ie 11ish) and are thinking of running along the inside fence as best as possible.  Should be about 6 miles.  We're keen runners and its always been an idea, just to bring a little bit of running into the festival, and also a novel way to see a lot of the site.

The one logistical issue would be showers afterward, but with a bit of forward planning could be dealt with.

Any opinions? Any other runners interested in joining us?  It's agreed you'd have to wear a wife-beater and headband

I think there is some sort of 5k planned I've seen a few posts about it over the years.   Will keep an eye out and if I see the hash tag on twitter will let you know. .

On 5 April 2016 at 0:57 PM, koj said:

My countdown starts today - anyone else with me?

I actually started in Feb but I put back on the half a stone I lost with chocolate / beer / no exercise over Easter :-(

My aim is to lose 1st, which takes me to health BMI for my height - something I've not been able to do since I was a teenager.

I'll try and report back. Interested to know if other people have similar plans?

Started that in November!  Get some high intensity interval training going!  From now till festival day!  And cut down your carbs 

2 hours ago, Smeble said:

As said above, carbs are terrible for weight gain, it's all about combinations, fat and carbs are terrible, fat and protein good.

you can get away with carbs if you are doing a lot of exercise, if not the weight will pile on.

As long as you stay under your calorie goal you should be fine eating carbs, fat and protein and you will continue to lose weight. 

I've had an average week overall, started off poorly but gotten better the last few days, I weighed 235 on Sunday and I weighed 231.2 this morning. Mostly water/ale weight after a rough week last week but it's nice to see the scale going down for once. Ive been trying to increase my protein this week but it's been tough. 

I'm going to be officially weighing in every monday and tracking that. I really feel like choosing Monday keeps me accountable over the weekend. 

If you haven't already go download MyFitnessPal and track all your calories, holding yourself accountable like that is really helpful! 

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 2:10 PM, JamieKThomas said:

As long as you stay under your calorie goal you should be fine eating carbs, fat and protein and you will continue to lose weight. 

I've had an average week overall, started off poorly but gotten better the last few days, I weighed 235 on Sunday and I weighed 231.2 this morning. Mostly water/ale weight after a rough week last week but it's nice to see the scale going down for once. Ive been trying to increase my protein this week but it's been tough. 

I'm going to be officially weighing in every monday and tracking that. I really feel like choosing Monday keeps me accountable over the weekend. 

If you haven't already go download MyFitnessPal and track all your calories, holding yourself accountable like that is really helpful! 

that's a really good idea actually, you've just made me realise that I weigh in Saturday morning so I'm free to say sod it for the rest of the weekend which is something I really need to get out of

On 4/12/2016 at 10:08 AM, FloorFiller said:

Thanks for posting that link, really interesting. I have had it drummed into me to eat 6 small meals per day, which I do through a variety of 'real' food and protein shakes. It has worked for me, but I've been eating this way for a good 2-3 years now and think it's time to shock my body with something new. Plus I find chugging so many shakes a bit of a chore, especially as I have to travel around a lot for work - so your IF protocol may work better for me.

Does it have to just be 2 meals per day? Or can you spread the calories out a bit more during the eating phase of the day?

1 minute ago, MissStarlight said:

Thanks for posting that link, really interesting. I have had it drummed into me to eat 6 small meals per day, which I do through a variety of 'real' food and protein shakes. It has worked for me, but I've been eating this way for a good 2-3 years now and think it's time to shock my body with something new. Plus I find chugging so many shakes a bit of a chore, especially as I have to travel around a lot for work - so your IF protocol may work better for me.

Does it have to just be 2 meals per day? Or can you spread the calories out a bit more during the eating phase of the day?

can be as many meals as you want, just as long as you consume them within the eight hour window

Been doing Parkruns since November and even though I've knocked 10mins off my time, I've put on weight. 

Signed up for a local 10k for the first week of July. Hopefully by eating only leaves and running will lose a bit around the tummy.

I really struggle if I don't get my carb fix. I managed to give up bread but cutting out/down pasta, potatoes, rice, noodles is really difficult. 

Eating less fat and sugar seems to be relatively easy, but reducing carbs and adding protein more difficult.

after starting myfitnesspal again last week I fell off the wagon on sat. Cousin was down for rugby so was 6-8 pints of thatcher / Stowford and takeaway fish n chips :(   (although it was :) as they were ansum) didnt log details.

went for a 3m walk up the carn yesterday to offset some of it. Back on it again today.

good luck all!

ps going to weigh myself in town at lunch time - gulp

37 minutes ago, cornish hick said:

after starting myfitnesspal again last week I fell off the wagon on sat. Cousin was down for rugby so was 6-8 pints of thatcher / Stowford and takeaway fish n chips :(   (although it was :) as they were ansum) didnt log details.

went for a 3m walk up the carn yesterday to offset some of it. Back on it again today.

good luck all!

ps going to weigh myself in town at lunch time - gulp

Today is the start to a whole new week :-)

Well done to all of you who have lost so much weight - amazing stuff!  I've been trying to slim down since the new year with little real success. I have been going to the gym about 3 times a week and eating reasonably sensibly. Lost a few pounds but not much but hoping that by sticking with it it will happen eventually.  

I have been starting lifting weights followed by a HIIT session (usually on the cross-trainer).  My problem I think (unsurprisingly given my user name) is the booze.  I do like it!  But while I want to be slimmer, I also want to enjoy life.  So we'll see how it goes.

When I went to Glasto a couple of years back, I walked about 30,000 steps in a day (like someone earlier said though that did include dancing) - which I think is about 15 miles!  I was knackered by Sunday but I don't think that's very surprising really.  Anything that can keep the stamina going can only help!