Festival to be charged for sewage discharge breaches

Ommadawn

6 minutes ago, Chazwozza said:

Ermmmm... Ben, are you STILL on strike?

Ha! Long bloody time since I was a junior doctor. They don't know they're born, these days. I used to work hours that were seriously dangerous to patients' well-being!

Obviously wearing my I support #juniordoctors badge with pride today, and wondering what proportion of the country's population has yet worked out that the Health Secretary's name is, in fact, simply rhyming slang. As my wife (also NHS) says of the (dis)honourable gentleman and his cronies, they're all dead behind the eyes.

We shall overcome!

:)

Ben

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As punishment for every fish mercilessly and needlessly slaughtered at the hands of the festival their favourite band Coldplay should receive the same amount of punches to the balls.

Some interesting number is the articles, £37million turnover but only £84k profit before tax. I wonder is that after the Eavis' have taken their cut? 

1 minute ago, mrtourette said:

As punishment for every fish mercilessly and needlessly slaughtered at the hands of the festival their favourite band Coldplay should receive the same amount of punches to the balls.

Some interesting number is the articles, £37million turnover but only £84k profit before tax. I wonder is that after the Eavis' have taken their cut? 

Yeah, they pay themselves a reasonable wage as directors of the festival, then the farm also gets paid a significant sum for rental of the land, if I remember correctly.

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah, they pay themselves a reasonable wage as directors of the festival, then the farm also gets paid a significant sum for rental of the land, if I remember correctly.

From the accounts - after doing lots in the other thread about ownership - only ME is a director and gets dividends of ~£60k / year(*if I remember what I read correctly). All the staff are employed by the farm - so the significant sum for rental of land includes all the staff salaries too.

edit: Not forgetting the £500k+ that gets donated to charity each year.

Edited by krisskross

12 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

9 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

That makes sense, wouldn't want to leave themselves short.

Do you know many people who work for no pay, or who give away use of their prime asset for a significant chunk of the year?

Michael is far from poverty, but he's also a long way from being the sort of greedy bastard your comments imply.

Edited by eFestivals

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Do you know many people who work for no pay, or who give away use of their prime asset for a significant chunk of the year?

Michael is far from poverty, but he's also a long way from being the sort of greedy bastard your comments imply.

Not implying that at all, you seem very defensive so maybe there's a dormant thought that my misinterpreted comments have triggered?

It make sound financial sense for him to ensure that he can put food on his table and that his farm (which as Scottie says includes those who work for him) is compensated for it's use during the festival. I was concerned that he would have to do all that out of the £84k profit, so it's great that they're taken care of prior to that.

from the Emily interview with Noisey:

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/we-are-strong-on-the-women-this-year-we-spoke-to-emily-eavis-about-glastonbury-2016?utm_source=noiseytwitteruk

No dice. Okay. If you can’t tell us any names, there is one thing I think we can both get behind. Which is: please, people of Glastonbury, stop pissing on the land.
It’s a massive problem for us. It will unfortunately spell the end for the festival. There is no festival with people pissing in the streams and we’re going to have to be a bit more strict on it this year. 

A whole festival brought down by piss. Mad. How are you going to police it?
We’re going to have more Green Police and more people stewarding it and more urinals. There’s never going to be an excuse to not be able to find a urinal. We have to make it our number one mission for this year. 

8 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

from the Emily interview with Noisey:

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/we-are-strong-on-the-women-this-year-we-spoke-to-emily-eavis-about-glastonbury-2016?utm_source=noiseytwitteruk

No dice. Okay. If you can’t tell us any names, there is one thing I think we can both get behind. Which is: please, people of Glastonbury, stop pissing on the land.
It’s a massive problem for us. It will unfortunately spell the end for the festival. There is no festival with people pissing in the streams and we’re going to have to be a bit more strict on it this year. 

A whole festival brought down by piss. Mad. How are you going to police it?
We’re going to have more Green Police and more people stewarding it and more urinals. There’s never going to be an excuse to not be able to find a urinal. We have to make it our number one mission for this year. 

That's good news. More urinals and the return of the Green Police.

Potentially more Oxfam steward places then.

Another article about it: Glastonbury festival admits human waste polluted nearby river

Reiterates the point my Environmental Science A Level lecturer once drummed into us students that environmental pollution of some extent is an inevitable consequence of human activity. Even a comparatively environmentally ethical organisation like GFL can make mistakes, though I might be tempted to focus the grater part of the blame of what was surely a poor weld on that tank by the manufacturers...

Though a lot of hedge pissers are just lazy and antisocial, a lot are also just too out of it to realise or care what they are doing, so some hedge pissing is surely inevitable at Glasto. I think the presence of additional stewards at sensitive spots is a good thing, e.g. up in King's Meadow along the left hand (facing South) fence.

23 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Potentially more Oxfam steward places then.

Another article about it: Glastonbury festival admits human waste polluted nearby river

Reiterates the point my Environmental Science A Level lecturer once drummed into us students that environmental pollution of some extent is an inevitable consequence of human activity. Even a comparatively environmentally ethical organisation like GFL can make mistakes, though I might be tempted to focus the grater part of the blame of what was surely a poor weld on that tank by the manufacturers...

I think there's a thing going on here, where the prosecutor is used to prosecuting companies for this when the company has been obviously negligent, whereas no one is really suggesting that's the case here, or thinking they won't try harder to get it right in the future.

So Glastonbury is having all of the same sorts of trying-to-damn-them words thrown in their direction, and is going to have to jump thru all the same hoops, and then no one will be able to point the finger about any sort of favourtism, or that the EA isn't doing their job properly.

Hopefully there's going to be enough common sense at work by the point they reach a final outcome, where there's recognition that any sort of failure is quite likely to be on a large-ish scale (because of the numbers of people), and that with the best will in the world things will sometimes go wrong and you can only try and learn from them.

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They should show a video of a bloke pissing on the barrier on the inside of the urinals with a voiceover saying "This is Dave.  Dave is pissing on the inside of a urinal, 1 foot away from an actual toilet.  Dave is a fucking dickhead."

A rather brilliant idea, I think. :)

You should tweet that as a suggestion to Emily.

23 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Though a lot of hedge pissers are just lazy and antisocial, a lot are also just too out of it to realise or care what they are doing, so some hedge pissing is surely inevitable at Glasto.

That's not an excuse though. If someone was out of it and started getting violent we'd still want them out of the festival. If you're unable to act like a sensible human being when you're that drunk/high, then you don't get that drunk or high.

The vast majority of people can keep a sense of decorum and sense when that pissed though. I mean, they're pissing in the heges, they're not (most of the time) just whipping it out and spraying on the floor. I struggle to see how you're with it enough to know you need to find a hedge but not with it enough to know you need to find a toilet. If you message it strongly enough, it'll stick in people's brains even in the drunken stupor.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think there's a thing going on here, where the prosecutor is used to prosecuting companies for this when the company has been obviously negligent, whereas no one is really suggesting that's the case here, or thinking they won't try harder to get it right in the future.

So Glastonbury is having all of the same sorts of trying-to-damn-them words thrown in their direction, and is going to have to jump thru all the same hoops, and then no one will be able to point the finger about any sort of favourtism, or that the EA isn't doing their job properly.

Hopefully there's going to be enough common sense at work by the point they reach a final outcome, where there's recognition that any sort of failure is quite likely to be on a large-ish scale (because of the numbers of people), and that with the best will in the world things will sometimes go wrong and you can only try and learn from them.

Also I think some of the press just like to give Glasto a slap sometimes when they can by implying some sort of environmental hypocrisy is evident from the case.

26 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Though a lot of hedge pissers are just lazy and antisocial, a lot are also just too out of it to realise or care what they are doing, so some hedge pissing is surely inevitable at Glasto. I think the presence of additional stewards at sensitive spots is a good thing, e.g. up in King's Meadow along the left hand (facing South) fence.

I think the most effective thing is for passers-by to tell the hedge-pisser straight that they're out of order. A no-tolerance attitude.

If you're getting hassled every time you have a piss, I reckon you're more likely to make the effort to avoid the hassle.

I've noticed that people have been more tolerant of it the last few years, when a while back those hedge-pissers used to get more hassle.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That's not an excuse though. If someone was out of it and started getting violent we'd still want them out of the festival. If you're unable to act like a sensible human being when you're that drunk/high, then you don't get that drunk or high.

The vast majority of people can keep a sense of decorum and sense when that pissed though. I mean, they're pissing in the heges, they're not (most of the time) just whipping it out and spraying on the floor. I struggle to see how you're with it enough to know you need to find a hedge but not with it enough to know you need to find a toilet. If you message it strongly enough, it'll stick in people's brains even in the drunken stupor.

Quite - neither an excuse nor a justification, but it is an explanation.

Just now, eFestivals said:

I think the most effective thing is for passers-by to tell the hedge-pisser straight that they're out of order. A no-tolerance attitude.

If you're getting hassled every time you have a piss, I reckon you're more likely to make the effort to avoid the hassle.

I've noticed that people have been more tolerant of it the last few years, when a while back those hedge-pissers used to get more hassle.

Yes, I have seen people shamed by passers by in this way and on the whole it seemed to work - at least for that occasion they were pissing anyway. A welcome return for the Green Police then that have a good reputation of hounding some peeps around a field clearly trying to find a quiet spot to get away with it.

i don't think they'll solve the problem - in my view there were no end of blokes going into the area termed urinal - but they were then pissing on the blue plastic instead of the urinals themselves - hundreds of them even when you yelled them they continued, they'd even queue and replace those who had finished - unbelievable - Green Police wouldn't be able to stop that - best best take down the plastic fencing around them again - which i guess is there to make them more acceptable to Guarniad readers.

Edited by 5co77ie

17 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

i don't think they'll solve the problem - in my view there were no end of blokes going into the area termed urinal - but they were then pissing on the blue plastic instead of the urinals themselves - hundreds of them even when you yelled them they continued, they'd even queue and replace those who had finished - unbelievable - Green Police wouldn't be able to stop that - best best take down the plastic fencing around them again - which i guess is there to make them more acceptable to Guarniad readers.

I've been saying for a while that simply making the urinals double sided to prevent this could have quite an impact.  These idiots seem to crave some sort of privacy enough to queue to get in, even if they don't care whether they actually wee in a toilet.  So just make it impossible to piss against the inside of the blue plastic without going in a toilet.  This is by far where I see most pissing going on, much more than the bushes.

You've lost me on the Grauniad readers comment though?