Does a headliner have to play last?

Harry49

Given the nigh time and noise restrictions imposed on the festival the opportunity for schedule innovation would appear limited in comparison to the examples of other festivals provided. This coupled with the undoubted aid to atmosphere that darkness brings, does make it unlikely an act would agree to a earlier headliner slot. But having been in the crowd for Lionel last year and comments above about Dolly previously I would argue that it would not be impossible given the right headliner to shift  the headliner slot. Cant say a raft of names spring to mind however. But one who might fit the bill is Ed Sheeran - god knows you would not want your last memory of the day to be his warbling.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread. Are there any restrictions on the two main stages beyond a certain time sound-wise? I love the idea of a dance act playing after the 'headliner', Radiohead into The Prodigy for instance. This would also free up a hell of a lot of room in Shangri-La

Yes, it's not going to happen because of said restrictions.

Wasn't Bob Dylan considered the Sunday headliner in 1998, even though Pulp played last?  I seem to recall a lot of talk from ME at the time that Dylan was headlining... 

Seems to be only the UK where the headliner plays last, licensing laws being more restrictive here perhaps playing a part in this?  

Cambridge Folk Festival always have their headliners on second last.  A big name will play at 21:00 (Joan Baez, Rosanne Cash, Van Morrison, the Waterboys) and then a younger/dancier act at 23:00 (Bellowhead, Salsa Celtica etc.).  Cambridge has a mix of people camping onsite, on another campsite that requires a shuttle bus, staying off site plus punters with day tickets.  I presume it is to avoid everyone exiting at the same time.  It works well.