libertines to start festi next year

guypjfreak

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're far better this time around than they were in 2010, when they were playing purely for the money and Pete was still on the hard drugs.

I'd have to disagree with you there. They were great when I saw them in 2010, full of beans. From what I saw of them at Glasto, there was no life, no energy, no passion and every song sounded as hollow as an abandoned tunnel.

I'd have to disagree with you there. They were great when I saw them in 2010, full of beans. From what I saw of them at Glasto, there was no life, no energy, no passion and every song sounded as hollow as an abandoned tunnel.

If the tunnel is abandoned, then how does one know how hollow it sounds?  :ninja:

I had this image of them trying to start a festival and failing to ever turn up to let anyone in

Apart from Doherty's antics and maybe a track or two what have they really contributed? It's like a rather dragged out flash in the pan :/ They sit somewhere in my head near Razorlight, but slightly lower down.

I had this image of them trying to start a festival and failing to ever turn up to let anyone in

Apart from Doherty's antics and maybe a track or two what have they really contributed? It's like a rather dragged out flash in the pan :/ They sit somewhere in my head near Razorlight, but slightly lower down.

Barats guitar playing sounds like when Bill Bailey does the impression of The Edge losing power during a gig. I've heard little Korean girls playing guitar on youtube with more balls.

Edited by The Nal

Lots of practise doesn't help sadly :(

To answer your question anyway, they have one flawless and one nearly flawless album to their name as well as many brilliant unreleased tracks. Even though the Libertines probably have a small part to play in this, Doherty's also one of the biggest icons of the 2000s in Britain. Even if he was a raging thunderc**t.

I quite like that fuck forever song too now I think about it

Was absolute carnage when Babyshambles 'played' it in Manchester a couple of years ago. They gave up on the song and it just descended into chaos. As many people crowdsurfing as on the floor, people getting on stage with Pete, security dragging people (including my mate) off stage. I was at the peak of my Gillespie and everything was brilliant.

Barats guitar playing sounds like when Bill Bailey does the impression of The Edge losing power during a gig. I've heard little Korean girls playing guitar on youtube with more balls.

Some little Korean girls can shred better than Kirk Hammett so that means nothing really, Barat is one of the best guitarists of his time. Barat does with the guitar what Doherty does with lyrics and when you put them both together then magic happens. If you don't see it then that's really a shame for you. I'm just glad I get it

Was absolute carnage when Babyshambles 'played' it in Manchester a couple of years ago. They gave up on the song and it just descended into chaos. As many people crowdsurfing as on the floor, people getting on stage with Pete, security dragging people (including my mate) off stage. I was at the peak of my Gillespie and everything was brilliant.

happy days.

I saw babyshambles years ago and it was similar scenes of carnage. Whatever anyone says about him, not many people around today inspire those scenes. I think I prefer babyshambles to libertines now I think about it. 

I appreciate they have a big fan base, especially for the 2000's teens, so many my younger friends couldn't wait to see them at Reading, but even then I couldn't be arsed so to go & see them then.

A great booking for Glastonbury though, especially as it was a surprise for a lot of the crowd.

I spun the Libertines back up on Deezer and it still makes me feel slightly queasy :/ it's like they're only just with-it enough to press record....

But I raise my hands as I know it's just not my thing, still find myself thinking I'd like to hear this performed straight lol

I would love to wander though a festival they'd done - I imagine it to be like something out of the trenches of World War II, plus guitars, by Saturday lunchtime

2010 was incredible; huge culmination of people growing up listening to their music and dreaming of being able to see them on stage again. I didn't bother with them this year as I'm happy to draw a line under that - they might be better prepared and clean nowadays, which is good, but I don't think seeing them again will ever be as big an event as the initial reunion.

2010 was incredible; huge culmination of people growing up listening to their music and dreaming of being able to see them on stage again. I didn't bother with them this year as I'm happy to draw a line under that - they might be better prepared and clean nowadays, which is good, but I don't think seeing them again will ever be as big an event as the initial reunion.

Spot on, exactly what it was when I saw them and they nailed it. This year looked and sounded like a classic for-the-money reformation. 

As for opening the Other Stage next year, they should've done it this year in my opinion. I know they have a new album coming, but I think by next summer any excitement around them will have died off.

I do understand that 2010 was a bit of a 'had to be there' moment and it was probably amazing at the time. I remember being an insanely jealous 15 year old at the time. Still really jealous of those who went now in all fairness.

It's a shame that they decided to come back this time at Hyde Park. It really wasn't right for them this time around and they're far better to see in smaller venues. I have a feeling their tour will be academy sized this time around. Brixton is surely nailed on.

I avoided them in 2010 and did the same this year, though I did hear a song as I passed through to the Acoustic for Christy Moore and it sounded ok.

I'm sort of with the Razorlight comment made here earlier, I firmly believe without all the Kate Moss/drugs/arrests media coverage they would have just been another of those bands who came through at that time. I don't think they are dire but nowhere near where the hype had/has them.

Having said that I know lots of people love them and I think they would be a popular and apt choice to open next year so can see why it could happen.

Edited by storm