NFR NFC 2016 - The Friendly Thread for Lovely People

jeffie

Hello all - haven't had chance to go over this thread as yet.

Job searching and rejection is soul destroying. As I sat in the job centre waiting to sign on on Tuesday, I watched many people filling out their work plan booklet. For those not in the know, this is something the government thinks will help job searchers be honest people and tell the truth when job searching. A women was filling it out just going "all this is lies, I just want my money!" Another guy said "I've broken my toe so I can't job search" I filled out my booklet with the jobs applied for and interviews I've been to. I don't want to tell lies and randomly claim benefits. The system is so floored and £73.10 a week isn't a lot!

As for my job search, the rejections after interviews is getting me down a little. My favourite excuse / reason is "you don't have industry experience" no, you're right, I don't BUT I have done the very same job in another industry and I'm certain I will learn about the industry if I was to work in it!

I don't even look forward to weekends anymore, I mean, I job search all the time and I don't have the money to go out :( 

Of course, life could be a lot worse, I have my health, a roof over my head, food in my stomach - so I'm going to stop complaining. Well, maybe not, I am a northerner... 

• Replies 19.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lucyginger

• mr gumby

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sheffieldlady said:

Job searching and rejection is soul destroying. As I sat in the job centre waiting to sign on on Tuesday, I watched many people filling out their work plan booklet. For those not in the know, this is something the government thinks will help job searchers be honest people and tell the truth when job searching. A women was filling it out just going "all this is lies, I just want my money!" Another guy said "I've broken my toe so I can't job search" I filled out my booklet with the jobs applied for and interviews I've been to. I don't want to tell lies and randomly claim benefits. The system is so floored and £73.10 a week isn't a lot!

As for my job search, the rejections after interviews is getting me down a little. My favourite excuse / reason is "you don't have industry experience" no, you're right, I don't BUT I have done the very same job in another industry and I'm certain I will learn about the industry if I was to work in it!

I don't even look forward to weekends anymore, I mean, I job search all the time and I don't have the money to go out :( 

Of course, life could be a lot worse, I have my health, a roof over my head, food in my stomach - so I'm going to stop complaining. Well, maybe not, I am a northerner... 

Being a northerner is great - keep moaning.

Have a virtual hug - I feel your pain, twas many years ago but I have been there and had to fill in whatever scheme paperwork there was at the time and watched lines of people who had no intention of working make their excuses and as you say the ££ is really not much especially when all you want to do is work.

Given that you want to work you will find work, who knows, like me you may end up doing stuff you never dreamt you would do.

NFR NFC

xxxxxxxx

9 minutes ago, thurlow84 said:

Evening folks

Enjoy the film tonight essay

Keep at it shefflady one of them will snap you up eventually.....they'd be foolish not too

Im getting hungry....whats for tea tonight mr g?

For our tea tonight is left over chicken curry. I did quite a big batch so there's enough for an easy dinner tonight too, though I will be making tarka daal to go with it for a bit of variety. Not sure what I'll be listening to by then, but Deep Purple is on at the moment. 

11 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

For our tea tonight is left over chicken curry. I did quite a big batch so there's enough for an easy dinner tonight too, though I will be making tarka daal to go with it for a bit of variety. Not sure what I'll be listening to by then, but Deep Purple is on at the moment. 

Whats tarka daal? Im not big on my knowledge of what i presume is indian food

5 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

I was filling in a work plan booklet not so long ago. It really is a joke. I just wrote the same things down for each week and the people at the Job Centre just signed it without looking. One thing I did learn is that they have a training fund. I managed to get on a course which they paid for which was just over £1K. There might be a course out there within your chosen sphere which could help you get a job. It's worth looking in to I'd say. If you do find the course then you have to prove that there's jobs in the industry out there for them to justify the expense. Then it's a case of trawling all the job sites etc and printing off the job adverts for the field you are in. I created a well presented package to justify going on the course and they ran with it. It might have helped that just prior to this I wrote a letter to the Job Centre Manager praising their staff for treating me like a person rather than a number. They were right behind me after that and got me on to the course. Just a thought. Good luck.

55 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Gumby, you're going to be nominated to bring the snacks to the NFR meet and have some of that amazing mead to wash it down with. :D

Gumby for official NFR caterer! 

Evening all, southern division reporting in! I'm having a quiet weekend, I'm in a concert Monday so need to be on top form. Red wine will help :) 

SL hang in there, it is not fun signing on but like you say, you have a roof and food and friends, something will come along soon. Just remember, things sometimes are not brilliant but life is constantly changing so go with it and keep positive. 

Ooh that was a bit deep, wasn't it! Crumbs! 

Lucy Looooo Gingerooooooo! Quiet weekend here. Yucky exam in the morning then i have a heathenous feeling coming on of lighting the fire and doing some dancing. (no videos will be involved) :P

edited to add, us gingers are right. its all about the positive thinking. Think of it like a party. Do you want to be with the wild and funny fucker or chat to the miserable fuck in the corner. The universe is a bit like that. Be the wild and funny fucker and you draw the good stuff to ya. 

Edited by H.M.V

9 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Lucy Looooo Gingerooooooo! Quiet weekend here. Yucky exam in the morning then i have a heathenous feeling coming on of lighting the fire and doing some dancing. (no videos will be involved) :P

edited to add, us gingers are right. its all about the positive thinking. Think of it like a party. Do you want to be with the wild and funny fucker or chat to the miserable fuck in the corner. The universe is a bit like that. Be the wild and funny fucker and you draw the good stuff to ya. 

Good luck with the exam! You feeling ok about it? 

We are right. Positive is the best way! You get what you give, and all that. :)

Ah Lucy Loo Gingerooo I'm sure it'll be ok. Done a couple of mocks and got a fairly decent score in each. The same sort of questions tend to come up in the exam. Gonna get there early and go over the key facts etc. 

I'm just looking forward to getting home afterwards and taking the dogs down the bog in the daylight for a good blowout then wine! Lots of wine, unfortunately one doesn't have any gin at the moment but hey ho. Payday soon then birthday weekend. So a good fire, bottle of plonkage and a boogie on the cards for tomorrow night. :D

3 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Ah Lucy Loo Gingerooo I'm sure it'll be ok. Done a couple of mocks and got a fairly decent score in each. The same sort of questions tend to come up in the exam. Gonna get there early and go over the key facts etc. 

I'm just looking forward to getting home afterwards and taking the dogs down the bog in the daylight for a good blowout then wine! Lots of wine, unfortunately one doesn't have any gin at the moment but hey ho. Payday soon then birthday weekend. So a good fire, bottle of plonkage and a boogie on the cards for tomorrow night. :D

You'll be alright then! :)

your plans for tomorrow sound lovely! Wine is a good second choice, and fire and dancing will be fun. Just be careful of the flames! :)

4 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

You'll be alright then! :)

your plans for tomorrow sound lovely! Wine is a good second choice, and fire and dancing will be fun. Just be careful of the flames! :)

I'll just have to make sure I'm not wearing anything flammable. :D

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Gumby, you're going to be nominated to bring the snacks to the NFR meet and have some of that amazing mead to wash it down with. :D

I don't think mead will be on the menu this year, but I'm sure I can brew something up. :) Snacks may well be possible, as I'll be coming in the village gate, so I won't have a long walk. I shall have to give some thought to what to bring!