BEST AND WORST CAMPING SPOTS

TNT1970

We somehow managed to camp in almost exactly (give or take a few metres) the same spot in Dairy Ground the past two years. To get that spot again would be brilliant, but we always head up for that neck of the woods anyway.

I dreaded camping in Pennards in 2009 at the bottom but it wasn't too bad. It does attract a few idiots and it gets rammed, you have to be there first thing and I would imagine the market area in there now makes it more difficult. Location wise it's pretty spot on.

Worst, well I've never entertained the thought of camping near Silver Hayes and John Peel as it seems a bit last resort. Oxlyers once, never again. However that was 2005... having to sleep in my mate's car for three nights after, well that was the worst campsite! Anywhere near the Pyramid Stage though for me, it's fine if you just want the Pyramid Stage, but too far from anywhere else.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Camping Field is Cyclist Camping, right there next to Gate A, Free Showers, Loads of Room, Security. Significant walk home, but worth it, walk home helps. I camped in the Medical Crew Field too once, that was good. ceramic toilets and proper showers too, more long walks home though.

Worst Camping? not an applicable question IMHO?, if you are just crashing, then you are just crashing anywhere..

I Have stayed on a number of different sites, Last year WV and can confirm its the worst site. IT does have its good point tho Showers, Nice Toilets, Pre pitched tent, Staff to help you with your bags but at the same time theres no atmosphere, Neighbours didn't want to know, that HILL!!!!!!!!!! I'm 25 and found it a mission! Also got full body searches every time we came on the the site! Looking in wallets fag boxes was totally OTT

We are looking at camping at Darble as theres loads of space quiet on a night ( not that we will be back till the early hours) I know the walk is something else after being at the late night areas but nothing like taking on that WV hill!!!

I was thinking about taking some some 16amp cable and a splitter to splitter to steal power has any one done this before? We do it when I work festivals but never done it as a punter.

Best Camping Field is Cyclist Camping, right there next to Gate A, Free Showers, Loads of Room, Security. Significant walk home, but worth it, walk home helps. I camped in the Medical Crew Field too once, that was good. ceramic toilets and proper showers too, more long walks home though.

Worst Camping? not an applicable question IMHO?, if you are just crashing, then you are just crashing anywhere..

I'm such a lazy shit to not have planned to cycle down this year. I'm travelling with another frequent cyclist, I have family in Bristol who we could use as a base. I've already shelled out for a coach ticket now, though. Also I can imagine Monday morning being a bit horrible.

We've been in the Darble the last two or three times and it's quite quiet, I like my sleep! They also had the nice composting toilets in the Pylon ground the last couple of years, nothing nicer than the smell of sawdust/wood bark rather than chemicals xD

I was thinking about taking some some 16amp cable and a splitter to splitter to steal power has any one done this before? We do it when I work festivals but never done it as a punter.

Sorry missed this - I really hope you're kidding. The festival puts a lot of effort in and isn't screwing you - why screw it

I'd probably not baulk if this were Reading/Leeds other than the dangers, but doesn't seem on at the more charitable events

On a practical level where would you connect, if close enough to a genny to hook up the the noise would be pretty annoying, if your planning on connecting to the lighting grids around the site aren't all the festoons 110v? And wahat would you really need mains power for anyway?

this year will be our third in oxylers there's it's a great location

I agree, it's my groups spot of choice too. Very central and easy to get to all the main stages. Easy to locate when worse for wear too, due to it being opposite the Other Stage!

We used to camp in Rivermead which always seemed underpopulated, loads of free space and easy(ish) to get to Peel/Other/Pyramid/Silver Hayes from there. Good for those not getting there until late Wed / Thursday.
We take kids now so we go in family camping. I agree, not good if you’ve been out until the wee hours as it’s bedlam by 7.30am and not quiet during the day either.

I'm arriving late morning on the Friday and want to camp in South Park 1 or 2.

It is just a small 2man pop up, but even so... am I dreaming?..

A determined soul can fit a 2 man pop up in pretty much any field, you'll have no bother in South Park, I'm sure. If there is space for a skinny one on the top row you can't beat the view.

I'm arriving late morning on the Friday and want to camp in South Park 1 or 2.

It is just a small 2man pop up, but even so... am I dreaming?..

Agree with the above, South Park takes forever to fill as it's pretty far out you should have no problem

What are the chances of getting a group of tents into Oxlyers around midday on the weds? Last year was our first and we stayed in Woodsies. I was fine with it but one of our group wasn't keen on the trek to the SE corner so was thinking of getting somewhere a little more central, just don't want to turn up and find there's no room!

My head says you might be struggling depending on how many of you there is?? I know nothing about the busy campsites as I mostly avoid them for the quieter ones. I like my sleep and have no issue with the walk. I also prefer being closer to the exit on the Monday morning!

Sounds like me to be honest! Where are you planning on camping? There'll be three tents in our little group, but the guy who likes the dance tents has big groups of friends going that he'd want to be camping nearby to. Don't know anything about where they're planning to stay or when they're arriving though so I'm concentrating on our smaller group for now.

What are the chances of getting a group of tents into Oxlyers around midday on the weds? Last year was our first and we stayed in Woodsies. I was fine with it but one of our group wasn't keen on the trek to the SE corner so was thinking of getting somewhere a little more central, just don't want to turn up and find there's no room!

Based on every year I've been you'll still get a group in on midday Thursday if you don't mind being near the green fence.

Last year, loads of green in there...

23E2515D00000578-0-image-a-61_1418072822

Edited by ltfckimbo

Sounds like me to be honest! Where are you planning on camping? There'll be three tents in our little group, but the guy who likes the dance tents has big groups of friends going that he'd want to be camping nearby to. Don't know anything about where they're planning to stay or when they're arriving though so I'm concentrating on our smaller group for now.

Always camp in Bushy Ground, to be fair, it's pretty close to the Dance village (sorry, Silver Hayes) the walk isn't bad to be honest. I don't think so anyways. You should be fine with 3 tents in Oxylers I would think anyhows. I always feel sorry for the poor buggers who camp near the path and toilets.. I would avoid that!