The Mothership return...

phimill

I love these guys and was really looking forward to it, which is why I was so disappointed in 2010 when they started off with an accurate and lovingly rendered version of the title track of their best album.

Why disapointed? I'm a huge p-funk fan (see username ;)) but... Maggot Brain kinda bores me - love the rest of that album though.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw them in Bristol on Friday and they were on form, far better than that last set at West Holts. They only stopped after 2 and a half hours because it was kicking out time. Good party and will be at West Holts unless something ridiculously surprising happens elsewhere, at that doesn't include someone shouting "Yeah" at me for an hour.

Saw them in Bristol on Friday and they were on form, far better than that last set at West Holts. They only stopped after 2 and a half hours because it was kicking out time. Good party and will be at West Holts unless something ridiculously surprising happens elsewhere, at that doesn't include someone shouting "Yeah" at me for an hour.

I too was there, I got an email from the promoter telling us to get down early as "George Clinton is known for his long sets and we have an absolute cut off time of 10pm". He didn't disappoint, plenty of hits and lots of badass jamming! At one stage one of his entourage appeared via a side-door in the crowd, took a couple of tokes from someones sly spliff and went back in haha!

• 1 month later...

What exactly can we expect from the Family Stone input? Is there any precedent for this?

If it's a mix of tunes from all three bands I'd be up for it... but if it's an hour or so of shredding and guitar soloing then I'm not sure I'd be up for that in a festival setting... I like Maggot Brain don't get me wrong, but time and place for the more self indulgent material though...

Husband has now thrown a Suede shaped spanner into the works. His argument is that we saw these in 2010. My argument involves The Family Stone.

The Family Stone argument is an important one. Me and my mate pelted it round to Sonic after the Stones finished to catch the last 5 songs of the Family Stone in 2013 and they were brilliant. Paired with Clinton they'll be electric and unlikely to happen again. Suede can be watched any time

I was saying unfortunately for Gracemary. I'm very happy with the slot, having seen PSB recently.

And yes it's as certain as one can be that they'll play Maggot Brain.

damn the decision just as hard as ever then

Husband has now thrown a Suede shaped spanner into the works. His argument is that we saw these in 2010. My argument involves The Family Stone.

tell him that suede will be playing mostly songs from the new album ;)

Saturday is a weird one for me - lots of clashes but no 'must sees' really. Suede are probably nearest to the 'must see' category, but Mothership, Leftfield, PSB etc. all look very tempting.

Suede's short set probably means it'll be hit after hit, PSB will be cool in Glade but seen them already, and I'll do a bit more research into Leftfield and the Mothership in the next couple of weeks.

It probably depends on where I'm near to at the time, given that my half-arsed commitments for that day stretch as far as Courtney Barnett, Burt Bacharach and one of Vintage Trouble/Father John Misty.