Selfie Sticks

cerv

I still haven't seen one of these things 'in the flesh' so to speak. I'm not quite sure what to do when I see my first one. I get the impression I'm suppossed to kill the person on the other end of it, but this doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Wouldn't it be better to create a collective name for these people that was so derogatory that nobody linked in to their own Zeitgeist would want to be associated with such an un cool group? This would nip it in the bud in a short time I suspect.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't seen one of these things 'in the flesh' so to speak. I'm not quite sure what to do when I see my first one. I get the impression I'm suppossed to kill the person on the other end of it, but this doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Wouldn't it be better to create a collective name for these people that was so derogatory that nobody linked in to their own Zeitgeist would want to be associated with such an un cool group? This would nip it in the bud in a short time I suspect.

Selfie stick w*nkers?

narcissistic morons obbssessed with getting virtual `likes` for pictures of themselves due to their own vanity......harsh but true. its modern society....we are obbsessed with appearence, you see it all the time on facebook, instagram etc.....No I do not give a flying fuck if youve just put some makeup on, or styled your hair, or painted your nails or whatever.....if I like you its because of what is under all of that shit.

I actually find it quite amusing....all there is to see, do and take pictures of at a big festival like glastonbury.....and all these people can think to do is snap photos of themselves pouting in some way, yes because `you` are the most interesting thing at the festival....keep telling yourself that.....lol

The only problem I've got with what you say is in the last paragraph (and that's only because it's only just occurred to me) is that we are all guilty of acting as living selfie sticks to all the performers at the festival. They pout and we selfie stick our own minds and identity in their direction.

In the clear light of day I have the feeling that the above is going to sound like cobblers. In fact, I am now sure of it.

I kind of get what your trying to say but then we`re not taking these peoples pictures for the benefit of themselves but because we enjoy their performence......what I meant was its baffling why at a festival with all the sights of glasto.....youd want a camera filled with pictures of you posing.....thats narricism to the exrteme isnt it?

Oh don't worry about what i said in the last post. I think I went off on a flight of fancy. It's a tough one really - part of me agrees with the cringworthiness of the narcicism, but haven't we all asked a passing stranger to take a group photo for us, which is the same kind of thing as having a selfie stick? I guess it boils down to the amount of self photos you are taking of yourself at the end of the day. Oh, and indeed whether you pout on those photos or not.

My nephew just bought one, thats the first one Ive seen but imagine they will be huge I think its going to ruin the view of the stage but so does millions of people with phones in the air .

You could outlaw them in a festival but unless they were a danger to people I don't see that happening,you try to ban as little a number of things as possible. Hopefully people will just grow tired of them and they will just go out of fashion .

If Glastonbury were to ban selfie sticks, wouldn't it be as effective as their gazebo ban? I'm not knocking them, it's just that it would be tricky for them to 'enforce' policy. For it to be a successful campaign they would have to have their security set to Gestapo Mode. I just can't see Glastonbury doing that.

I kind of get what your trying to say but then we`re not taking these peoples pictures for the benefit of themselves but because we enjoy their performence......what I meant was its baffling why at a festival with all the sights of glasto.....youd want a camera filled with pictures of you posing.....thats narricism to the exrteme isnt it?

Maybe its not full of pictures of them possing, but they want one or two of themselves at the festival as its their favourite place in the world? *shrugs* Seems pretty normal to me.

If Glastonbury were to ban selfie sticks, wouldn't it be as effective as their gazebo ban? I'm not knocking them, it's just that it would be tricky for them to 'enforce' policy. For it to be a successful campaign they would have to have their security set to Gestapo Mode. I just can't see Glastonbury doing that.

Quite, without an arena you would basically have to search everyone's bags on entry which isn't going to happen.

I can't get that worked up about the selfie stick for some reason, normally its the sort of thing I'd love to rant about it but in all honesty I've just not seen many people use them in annoying way. If anything I see them as taking away a few problems of people with out stretched out arms attached to their phones.

Maybe. But it could also be as effective as the Chinese lantern ban, which hasn't required OTT security.

I'm wondering if you could attach a lighter to them to bring some proper jeopardy to the flag carriers...

http://www.nme.com/news/coachella/84010

seems american festivals are banning them.....wonder if glasto would follow suit?

Today it was announced that all major festivals in The Netherlands (Pinkpop, Lowlands, Down the Rabbit Hole, Best Kept Secret and others) have banned the selfie stick:

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/nieuws/2015/maart/Festivals-verbieden-selfiestick.html (for those who can read Dutch)

Edited by rinzeanne

Maybe. But it could also be as effective as the Chinese lantern ban, which hasn't required OTT security.

I'm wondering if you could attach a lighter to them to bring some proper jeopardy to the flag carriers...

You still see Chinese lanterns going up in to the air, but agreed not on such a scale as in years gone by. However, wouldn't this be the result of getting the message across that they are dangerous to people, livestock and property? There may well be a bit of peer pressure not to set them off too. Selfie sticks don't present anywhere near the danger that Chinese lanterns potentially do, so are people going to take note of a ban? If a thousand people in a crowd pull out selfie sticks who is going to stop them being used? That's the point where I intinated that Glasto security would en mass have to wade in and confiscate them. I just can't see that being even considered, not least because of the amount of staff resources it would need.