joy division

guypjfreak

It was brilliant, nothing reall new in there, but the whole Factory/Joy Division/Madchester yarn is probably the last great tale in British music. Made me think though, can you imagine a band from this era having such a story to tell in 30 years time? The Libs perhaps, but that's already a decade ago. Christ i love BBC4 on a Friday night!

Couldn't listen to it with high volume as everyone in the house has gone to bed, but will watch it soon as Joy Division seem to be an incredibly influential band. Also looks very well done and covers a lot of material.

New Order were far more important and influential. Joy Division tick all the boxes for the middle class media to latch onto. Angst ridden guitar band who had a singer who actually meant what he was singing about and then who actually killed himself.

Whether the Joy Division sound would have evolved into what New Order became is all conjecture. But Bernard Sumner was the driving force behind New Orders more electronic sound. Whether he would have become so influential with Ian Curtis around is open to debate.

New Order would not exist without JD. But JD would not have become the cult they turned into without the success and evolution of New Order.

I'm sorry but Joy division would've become the cult with or without new order.

They had the tunes end of.

She's lost Control, transmission, atmosphere, isolation, etc etc.

I'm sorry but Joy division would've become the cult with or without new order.

They had the tunes end of.

She's lost Control, transmission, atmosphere, isolation, etc etc.

JD have fantastic tunes and you maybe right. JD seem to have got bigger over the last decade or so through the 2 films and through the New Order hiatus. But while I was growing up Joy Division were no where near as big as they are now.

No one knows how things would have panned out if Ian Curtis had not passed away. If New Order had not carried on then in all probability there would have been no Hacienda, no Factory records, no Happy Mondays, no films and I doubt the interest would have increased to the extent it did. Joy Division only had 2 albums and neither of them were hits.

It is a moot point really as imo JD and New Order are one and the same thing really. It is as if JD lit the flame but New Order carried the torch.