Blur?

wozwebs

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 is probably my favourite album.

I Broadcast and Ong Ong are bloody great songs. The later in particular will sound great on the Pyramid I reckon. There's some slower stuff which I haven't properly appreciated having a drink this evening, but overall I think its (another) great album. Can definitely feel the Japanese influence which is cool

Interesting pub discussion last night regarding Blur. Me and a couple of mates are huge fans, seen them dozens of times between us, but we were discussing the new album and it was suggested that Blur, for all the fantastic music they've made, have never made a truly great album. They've made seven good to very good albums but have never made that one defining record, arguably their best album is the Midlife compilation, and I say that as a huge fan.

Thoughts?

I think that's because they are a band who evolve and grow. As we can see from what we've heard of The Magic Whip, there is a core 'Blur sound' but there's a different vibe to it. That's the case with each of their albums, I find.

However, I also think that they haven't made a defining album because they haven't made a consistently great album. There's a couple of tracks on each album that either don't do it for me or feel like filler, in my opinion. I'm saying this as a huge fan of them.

Interesting pub discussion last night regarding Blur. Me and a couple of mates are huge fans, seen them dozens of times between us, but we were discussing the new album and it was suggested that Blur, for all the fantastic music they've made, have never made a truly great album. They've made seven good to very good albums but have never made that one defining record, arguably their best album is the Midlife compilation, and I say that as a huge fan.

Thoughts?

They are very similar to New Order in that regard. Both are fantastic singles bands and they produce very good albums without them being seminal.

You have a fantastic ability to bring new order into everything!

I find Blur similar to New Order in regards to their output. Both are innovative bands who have stood the test of time, both release fantastic singles. Their albums are consistently good without being bonafide classics.

I find Blur similar to New Order in regards to their output. Both are innovative bands who have stood the test of time, both release fantastic singles. Their albums are consistently good

without being bonafide classics.

Wasn't having a pop - just find it funny how often you manage to mention them.

I think that's because they are a band who evolve and grow. As we can see from what we've heard of The Magic Whip, there is a core 'Blur sound' but there's a different vibe to it. That's the case with each of their albums, I find.

However, I also think that they haven't made a defining album because they haven't made a consistently great album. There's a couple of tracks on each album that either don't do it for me or feel like filler, in my opinion. I'm saying this as a huge fan of them.

Every [seminal] album has tracks that don't live up to the rest of the album. See: the amount of people that complain about Fitter, Happier from OK Computer, for instance. A whole album doesn't have to be bangers to be incredible, or timeless, in my opinion. In fact, the contrast actually makes the better pieces stand out.

Playing devil's advocate here by the way - I think 13 is their 'masterpiece' but definitely understand there are more tracks than would be desirable as what I've described above.

Wasn't having a pop - just find it funny how often you manage to mention them.

No worries fella. I am not going to lie, New Order along with Depeche Mode are my fave bands.

I do like Blur though, they have that English eccentricity. I love the way they can be so innovative and different while still wrapping it all up in a killer pop song.

I seem to be posting this all over the internet tonight but the new album is now available to stream for free on itunes, just go to the band page and click the listen button. It really is fantastic. I'm hoping they don’t play this year as I'm having to put my tickets back in the pot. Having been at the Mode gig and now heard the full album version (several times), if you like Blur I think you'll love it. It all about what they are, always innovative but always manage to sound like Blur.

When I heard it live I thought it sounded so complete, and listening back to the album version that's really what I get. Individually some really stand out tracks but, not one dodgy track, it all hangs together so well. I'm biased but I really do think it's special. Am so excited by it.

Edited by Levitz

Modern Life is Rubbish is my favourite, but this might be down to personal significance as much as it's actual quality. Also very fond of Blur the album. But all the albums have songs I absolutely love on them.

Blur were the first proper band I ever got into, around the age of 13, so I will always love them dearly. When they were first rumoured I was really excited and then started thinking it might not live up to 2009. Now I'm back to excited. Fuck it, clashes aside it'd be a great closer.

However it annoys me when bands give an outright denial and back track. Dave didn't have to say they weren't. He could have said something more vague.

Am I right in thinking there's been no Eavis denial?

I never stream albums but have it on pre order so looking forward to hearing it soon.

Every [seminal] album has tracks that don't live up to the rest of the album. See: the amount of people that complain about Fitter, Happier from OK Computer, for instance. A whole album doesn't have to be bangers to be incredible, or timeless, in my opinion. In fact, the contrast actually makes the better pieces stand out.

Playing devil's advocate here by the way - I think 13 is their 'masterpiece' but definitely understand there are more tracks than would be desirable as what I've described above.

I'm gonna have to stand up for Fitter Happier. and it's a perfect example of what I'm talking about, I think. That track is a perfect fit on the album, for me. It really drags you into the paranoid gloom of the second half of that record. I probably wouldn't put it on a compilation to introduce a friend to Radiohead, but I don't skip it either.

I think it was nailed above: Blur are a great singles band.

I don't think this is a bad thing, necessarily. Their albums are long, so maybe it's just an inability to edit. Like how Muse got shit when they started self producing.

I'm gonna have to stand up for Fitter Happier. and it's a perfect example of what I'm talking about, I think. That track is a perfect fit on the album, for me. It really drags you into the paranoid gloom of the second half of that record. I probably wouldn't put it on a compilation to introduce a friend to Radiohead, but I don't skip it either.

I think it was nailed above: Blur are a great singles band.

I don't think this is a bad thing, necessarily. Their albums are long, so maybe it's just an inability to edit. Like how Muse got shit when they started self producing.

fitter happier is an exception though. It's not even a song so you cant really call it a dud. If you look at the other radiohead albums they are all consistently good. You cant say the same for blur's albums, they all very definitely have duds and definitely would have benefited from someone standing up to damon and insisting on some pruning.

But blur v radiohead is no contest really is it.....

I suspected you were a radiohead fan... can spot em a mile off

what part of that post gave it away?

I am not actually that huge a fan. I like them quite a bit, but they are nowhere near my list of favourite artists.

But I do believe they are the only diamond amongst the ocean of shit that is modern music from the 90s onwards.

They are the only hope the 90s onwards has of being remembered decades in the future.

Edited by russycarps

May I ask what age you are mate? Parklife aint perfect, but it is as close to a "defining" album as you can get.

what part of that post gave it away?

I am not actually that huge a fan. I like them quite a bit, but they are nowhere near my list of favourite artists.

But I do believe they are the only diamond amongst the ocean of shit that is modern music from the 90s onwards.

From the constant Oasis bashing! haha. I dont Hate radiohead btw, i like a few of there songs and the Bends is great. But i do think they are ovverated.