Lineup 2016

Matt42

2 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

i've said it before, watch them play two steps twice at glasto, they are very fucking far from a weak healiner.

they'll be great on the night(s) and have the crowd eating out of the palm of their hands, but i don't think anybody would deny that the new album didn't quite do as well as people expected. they definitely deserve the headline spot though and it would've been ridiculous if they were booked as anything other than a headliner this year 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

This. I think their size as a headliner is debatable, but in terms of quality, I think they're a strong headliner. I'd be surprised if many who go to this years fest won't think that they are fantastic live. Unless the last headliner is something really special, or RHCP have seriously upped their game, I think Foals will be the best of the headliners. 

I think RHCP more recent performances have shown a potential resurgence to be fair, but i'm definitely going to enjoy foals more due to personal taste but RCHP will be sick still.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

they'll be great on the night(s) and have the crowd eating out of the palm of their hands, but i don't think anybody would deny that the new album didn't quite do as well as people expected. they definitely deserve the headline spot though and it would've been ridiculous if they were booked as anything other than a headliner this year 

The album didn't do too badly in terms of sales but yeah maybe could have done a bit better. In terms of content however, for me it was there best one.

Just now, DirtyChorizo said:

The album didn't do too badly in terms of sales but yeah maybe could have done a bit better. In terms of content however, for me it was there best one.

really? maybe i've just outgrown the type of music they make but i found it a little disappointing. the title track had such great promise but everything else on the album fell a little flat to me and there wasn't much we haven't heard before (example: Birch Tree sounds just like the much superior Miami). Total Life Forever will always be my favourite - such a shame they only play one song from it these days

Just now, FloorFiller said:

really? maybe i've just outgrown the type of music they make but i found it a little disappointing. the title track had such great promise but everything else on the album fell a little flat to me and there wasn't much we haven't heard before (example: Birch Tree sounds just like the much superior Miami). Total Life Forever will always be my favourite - such a shame they only play one song from it these days

no doubt miami is better than birch tree but Miami is a classic haha, however i think there were songs on there like snake oil and nights swimmers that were very original and showed a more flairy version of foals that we hadn't really seen before.

23 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

i've said it before, watch them play two steps twice at glasto, they are very fucking far from a weak headliner. if you mean they aren't popular, that's a different story but actual performance wise, they are incredible.

16 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

This. I think their size as a headliner is debatable, but in terms of quality, I think they're a strong headliner. I'd be surprised if many who go to this years fest won't think that they are fantastic live. Unless the last headliner is something really special, or RHCP have seriously upped their game, I think Foals will be the best of the headliners. 

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Right just to cover the top 3 posts as I think there is something being majorly missed here. A band putting on an incredible show does NOT make them a headline worthy band. Bands can play any position on the bill and be great, it doesn't make them headline worthy. 

As per the last post, I don't think they'll be eating out the palm as much as you believe, more so for Disclosure.

10 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

Dude, not being funny but it could have done a LOT better, it really didn't reach anything much at all.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

Right just to cover the top 3 posts as I think there is something being majorly missed here. A band putting on an incredible show does NOT make them a headline worthy band. Bands can play any position on the bill and be great, it doesn't make them headline worthy. 

As per the last post, I don't think they'll be eating out the palm as much as you believe, more so for Disclosure.

meh, most of the time when house music is played, especially at a rock/indie festival, people are lifeless af, mainly because its hard to be passionate about house music. also I think foals will be popular at a festival like reading, and they have the tracks to make a great performance. What more can you ask of a headliner?

33 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I would. I think there was a discussion before release where we pointed out that Foals weren't gonna get a no. 1 album because of pineapple head, and subsequently ruled that it didn't matter. Apart from one guy probably.

Edited by dentalplan

11 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

meh, most of the time when house music is played, especially at a rock/indie festival, people are lifeless af, mainly because its hard to be passionate about house music. also I think foals will be popular at a festival like reading, and they have the tracks to make a great performance. What more can you ask of a headliner?

Them being popular isn't the point, a lot of acts are going to be popular there, why book them if not? 

But it's a sad time for the festival when they are announcing acts being a debatebale set of unsold dates and people don't think you can ask for anything more. They have grabbed a sub act and put them as a header, that goes for both of them. It's £220 plus, although I can see why you can grab a ticket for £70 after fees for a day now.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

Them being popular isn't the point, a lot of acts are going to be popular there, why book them if not? 

But it's a sad time for the festival when they are announcing acts being a debatebale set of unsold dates and people don't think you can ask for anything more. They have grabbed a sub act and put them as a header, that goes for both of them. It's £220 plus, although I can see why you can grab a ticket for £70 after fees for a day now.

so why do you think foals can't headline? why do you think they should sub instead?

5 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

so why do you think foals can't headline? why do you think they should sub instead?

I think the bigger question is, why do you think they should headline? 

My answer is simple, they still have tickets to sell out for a 5 dates UK arena tour starting next week. One of them is a London date that is only 12.5k in which a Reading sub last year sold out in minutes. The album didn't live up to the hype, didn't reach the expected numbers and quickly dropped.

Also can't headline isn't really the correct wording, not even I have said that. Shouldn't be is more the term.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think the bigger question is, why do you think they should headline? 

My answer is simple, they still have tickets to sell out for a 5 dates UK arena tour starting next week. One of them is a London date that is only 12.5k in which a Reading sub last year sold out in minutes. The album didn't live up to the hype, didn't reach the expected numbers and quickly dropped.

Also can't headline isn't really the correct wording, not even I have said that. Shouldn't be is more the term.

so popularity is the issue?

8 hours ago, DirtyChorizo said:

meh, most of the time when house music is played, especially at a rock/indie festival, people are lifeless af, mainly because its hard to be passionate about house music.

wtf? hahahaha

A crowd doesn't have to be passionate to be a good crowd and even then, the single best crowd I've been in at Reading was 2009's deadmau5 set - so I don't know where this "hard to be passionate about house music" garbage comes from

10 hours ago, DirtyChorizo said:

so popularity is the issue?

I'm not sure it just borders on that but an act that wasn't popular wouldn't be doing it anyway. I don't think the festival has done its self any good at all by not getting them on an exclusive basis because although weak, they would at least have the angle.....we know it's weak but you can only catch them here.

I think you're a little wrong about house music as well, dance is outselling most other things at the moment so to say people aren't passionate about it is wrong. I'll bet that this year, Creamfields sells out it's 3 days weekend tickets again before any major fest bar Glasto, I don't say the 4th as while it's a 4th day it could be a low key day in terms of acts. This is also a fest that charge more than anyone other by a margin for booking fees.

3 hours ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

wtf? hahahaha

A crowd doesn't have to be passionate to be a good crowd and even then, the single best crowd I've been in at Reading was 2009's deadmau5 set - so I don't know where this "hard to be passionate about house music" garbage comes from

deadmau5 is an exception (although i still don't like his music) but more often than not you'll see the front two rows jumping and then the rest are are just stood still or holding there phones up to try and film it, its awful. I often have to sit through it because some of my friends love it and want me to go to mutiny with them. The most action you see is a few people fist pumping or some shit.

On 2/6/2016 at 2:44 PM, dentalplan said:

It's promising but I wouldn't count my chickens. As good as getting some old stuff in would be, it's not the kinda thing that's gonna impress festival audiences worldwide. Plus, they'll be plugging a new album and that could end up being as shit as I'm With You.

They even played Aeroplane from OHM, first time from that album (other than Pea) since '97. They did Starman cover too. I don't know, I really have my hopes way up 

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a while now but decided to come out of the shadow for this foals debate.

I've been a fan of foals for a while, I've seen them five times (not bragging simply stating) and I sort of know them now and what they do on stage. I have to admit, I can completely understand why you would think they're a weak headliner. Their latest album wasn't received well (I personally found it a disappointment) and they haven't fully sold out their tour BUT the energy they bring to EVERY show they play is phenomenal. As a fairly young guy I KNOW that others aged between 16-25 (cant speak for the elders sorry) love what they do, the way they do it and how mental they get. They will bring the show, but maybe you are right in that the crowd might not come with it.

But i disagree, for the following reasons -

1. as stated before, they are adored by many in a certain age bracket.

2. they were immensely popular last year, I was there and the crowd went mental for them. (personally i think even more so than back in 2012 with Green Day)

3. coupled with disclosure will work a treat, it brings in the dance fans alongside the indie rock fans. I know many who will see it as a great co-headliner slot because they compliment each other. 

4. they bring the show, mostly with lasers. They love that stuff. e.g 

2 hours ago, RedBalloon said:

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a while now but decided to come out of the shadow for this foals debate.

I've been a fan of foals for a while, I've seen them five times (not bragging simply stating) and I sort of know them now and what they do on stage. I have to admit, I can completely understand why you would think they're a weak headliner. Their latest album wasn't received well (I personally found it a disappointment) and they haven't fully sold out their tour BUT the energy they bring to EVERY show they play is phenomenal. As a fairly young guy I KNOW that others aged between 16-25 (cant speak for the elders sorry) love what they do, the way they do it and how mental they get. They will bring the show, but maybe you are right in that the crowd might not come with it.

2. they were immensely popular last year, I was there and the crowd went mental for them. (personally i think even more so than back in 2012 with Green Day)

3. coupled with disclosure will work a treat, it brings in the dance fans alongside the indie rock fans. I know many who will see it as a great co-headliner slot because they compliment each other. 

It's gonna be wall to wall bangers, all the sane people in here know that.

3 hours ago, RedBalloon said:

Hi guys,

Can't argue with that.