Let's get rid of the spam!

mr gumby

Surely, nobody really thinks that guy who claims to have no friends is actually a real person, right? It's obviously some kind of weird spamming thing.

i am real old son and i dont have friends I HAVE FAMILY lol

the spam git needs to be shot

if you dont like the NFR NFC thread unlucky its a great thread and keeps alot of people happy ........i think the thing is if you dont like a thread DONT go on that said fred .........see wot i did there lolol

happy week end all

I'll cop to the clique accusation. I used to find it a bit annoying, before I was a member! Perhaps the word clique is too loaded a term, but it is a social group, with members and norms. And if you're not a member, that can be a bit daunting - even if anyone who tries to join in is welcomed with open arms.

As for the bitching on other threads, I think that's also fair. I've probably find it myself, although I'm aware that it's not cool and I try not to.

I admit it's unlike other threads, as it's more of a social group, where the 'topic' is the people who frequent it, rather than anything in the subject. That alone creates a barrier to entry, as anyone can learn about Taylor Swift or Nick Cave independent of this forum and join in on an equal footing to the existing members.

The thing is, for the members, it's really valuable. Friends have been made, emotional support has been given. It's helped me maintain contact with probably the oldest friend I have (from real life and everything) and has generally been a pleasant place *for us* to hang out on. We're all united by a love for Glastonbury and music in general, but I understand if some feel it's inappropriate.

If there's anything we can do to make it feel less cliquey, then let us know. As far as I'm concerned, if someone else feels that's it's an exclusive clique, then I'm interested in doing whatever's possible to stop that feeling. After all, it's a two way thing.

Peace

+1

I have ran out of up votes unfortunately. To my mind the NFR NFC thread is far from cliquey - it just offers us all the chance for some random banter rather than it have to be about Glastonbury or music in general. Yes there's a discussions page where that kind of thread should go but it would appear that even less people use that area than the main Glastonbury page. A forum needs people to talk in order to survive. So let's all talk. If you want to say something not necessarily festival related then come to the NFR NFC thread. I can assure you that it's very catharthic at times.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pretty much every forum/chat site I've ever seen (and certainly my main chat site) has something really similar for a small group of people to do their own thing. over time, they develop their own sort of shorthand, develop their own codes/injokes or whatever. I reckon it's pretty much a standard trope of online communities. I don't for a moment think it's supposed to be intimidating to outsiders, but of course, inadvertently it is. That, for some reason seems to then antagonise some people.

I liken online chat boards (or whatever the current term is) to a pub. And those threads are like a group of regulars who sit on a particular table in the corner. They don't mean to be unfriendly to other patrons, but they feel more comfortable with their own self selecting group. And in the same way that you wouldn't feel particularly at ease walking over and asking to join their table, even if you keep casting envious glances over it cos they all seem to be having fun, it's hard for most people to join in with that thread.

but for me personally, fuck it, it's a big old boozer, plenty of other tables. Ain't no problem with them

• Upvote 3

Pretty much every forum/chat site I've ever seen (and certainly my main chat site) has something really similar for a small group of people to do their own thing. over time, they develop their own sort of shorthand, develop their own codes/injokes or whatever. I reckon it's pretty much a standard trope of online communities. I don't for a moment think it's supposed to be intimidating to outsiders, but of course, inadvertently it is. That, for some reason seems to then antagonise some people.

I liken online chat boards (or whatever the current term is) to a pub. And those threads are like a group of regulars who sit on a particular table in the corner. They don't mean to be unfriendly to other patrons, but they feel more comfortable with their own self selecting group. And in the same way that you wouldn't feel particularly at ease walking over and asking to join their table, even if you keep casting envious glances over it cos they all seem to be having fun, it's hard for most people to join in with that thread.

but for me personally, fuck it, it's a big old boozer, plenty of other tables. Ain't no problem with them

Nicely contextualised Mardy. I might wander over and have a pint with them :)

• Upvote 1

You mean we're not your main one???

Storms off in a huff!

This my mistress, alluring, a bit of something exotic, the fantasy untouched by the mundane reality of watching my missus have a shit while i'm using the bathroom.

• Upvote 1

That accepted norms are different on that thread = clique.

I've got a few points to raise in response to this.

Firstly, your statement is rather vague. What 'accepted norms' are different? This is a genuine question, not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand the perception some have of the NFR NFC thread.

Second, if, as you say...

That accepted norms are different on that thread = clique.

Then why is it that...

That accepted norms are different at Glastonbury = the whole bleedin' point.

Thirdly, and finally, I'd have to disagree with your definition of a clique. I'd suggest that the things that change a group of people into a clique, is an intolerance of 'outsiders', and a rejection of anyone new who tries to join in. If you have a look at the last few days on the NFR NFC thread, you'll see that quite a few people have posted on that thread, who never have before. They have all been welcomed warmly, and genuinely. Anyone is welcome, and I'd say that is pretty much the opposite of a 'clique'.

Peace to all.

I don't even know why im on about this cuz I couldnt give a fiddlers, you can do what you want and I've never nor will ever hassle you or post in your little thread - but I'll bite.

Cliques kill forums like this. The NFR cult thing is the 2nd longest thread on the first few pages of this forum and over 80% of the posts are from the same dozen people. Thats a clique.

Youre all absolutely scrumptious people I'm sure but at least lets be fair. As Mardy says, you have your own little microculture over there and instead of using Facebook or whatever you potter around in there talking about your place in the world. Vast majority of the readers of this forum have little or nothing to do with it. Compare the contributions in the headliners thread for more evidence of a more accessible space for people to contribute. Clearly the thread title enables and encourages this - unlike the helmetry inherent in the thread youre defending so vociferously.

Only parallel I can come up with is the Nick Cave thread. There you have three tarts blathering on in a vacuum to all intents and purposes.

;)

• Upvote 1

Cliques kill forums like this. The NFR cult thing is the 2nd longest thread on the first few pages of this forum and over 80% of the posts are from the same dozen people. Thats a clique.

No it's not. Neither is that the same as your previous definition of "clique" (which also wasn't a correct definition of the word). Making up your own definitions of words is probably a sign of a lost argument. In the interests of "peace and love" I suggest you give this one up mate.

• Downvote 2

I don't even know why im on about this cuz I couldnt give a fiddlers, you can do what you want and I've never nor will ever hassle you or post in your little thread - but I'll bite.

Youre all absolutely scrumptious people I'm sure but at least lets be fair. As Mardy says, you have your own little microculture over there and instead of using Facebook or whatever you potter around in there talking about your place in the world. Vast majority of the readers of this forum have little or nothing to do with it. Compare the contributions in the headliners thread for more evidence of a more accessible space for people to contribute. Clearly the thread title enables and encourages this - unlike the helmetry inherent in the thread youre defending so vociferously.

Only parallel I can come up with is the Nick Cave thread. There you have three tarts blathering on in a vacuum to all intents and purposes.

;)

Ok, firstly I didn't ask you to 'bite', I asked a couple of reasonable questions, and specifically said I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I hoped for some clarification and, perhaps a chance to develop some mutual understanding.

You ignored the questions I asked, and responded with a contradictory, arrogant, patronising, opinionated tirade.

It's my personal opinion that threads like NFR NFC don't 'kill forums', people like you do. People who feel it's their right to try and belittle others, to make themselves feel important.

All you've done with the above post is demonstrate your own shortcomings.

No it's not. Neither is that the same as your previous definition of "clique" (which also wasn't a correct definition of the word). Making up your own definitions of words is probably a sign of a lost argument. In the interests of "peace and love" I suggest you give this one up mate.

Bit defensive... Quiet night over in Nice 'N Friendly Corners is it?

The facts speak for themselves lads I'm not going into any more detail. There's a "discussion" corner of the forum where like minded punters can natter away about their general lives and how great they are.

I haven't noticed you presenting any actual facts, just moronic nonsense.

It seems you're now suddenly ok with the idea of the NFR NFC thread, but think it should be in the discussion section rather than Chat. What difference would that make?

Finally, NFR NFC is a thread that is specifically related to glastonbury festival. Yes, it goes off on tangents regularly, but always comes back round to the subject of good weather in Pilton. Sounds to me like it belongs right where it is.