zero000

Next weekend will be interesting!

I think the points difference will be too much to make up against Ireland, possibly England as well depending on their game. It's probably right that there is no grand slam winner, as the top 3 are pretty similar.

Frustrating that Wales could have been on for another grand slam, but for an awful second half against England. Then again we could easily have lost other games, so swings and roundabouts!

its going to be pretty interesting next week, we won't 100% know the winner until after the last game which is england vs france.

amount of chances thrown away today was poor, teams would put you away for that kind of thing in the world cup quarters onwards. need some work on that.

Unreal. What an effort from England.

We came within a missed tackle of the slam.

Although it wouldn't have taken much for Wales to have won the grand slam either. The quality of the teams competing for the title has gone down, but the competition has definitely become more interesting than the days when England or France won in a procession. Its hard to believe since Englands dominant world cup winning team they have only won 1 of 12 titles.

As a Welshman theres a tinge of disappointment because I feel one bad half against England has really cost us, although we got our fair share of luck in the games we won. Once Ireland had overtaken us, I was behind the Irish. I couldn't have coped with the smugness of John Inverdale (assume he was there, didn't watch anything other than the game) if England had won.

I think Ireland probably just about deserved it, in the games between the 3 teams your win against England was pretty comprehensive, while the other 2 could have gone the other way. I still suspect England to be the strongest Northern hemisphere team in the world cup. they have home advantage and are generally more consistent against the southern hemisphere teams.

Does "much" mean something different in Welsh? :P

5 point gap, its a game Wales easily could have won. If they had played averagely (instead of crap) in the second half I think they would have won. They should also have taken their chances better in the first half when not playing crap, but thats life. Over the last 10 years we have generally been good at taking advantage when we have put ourselves in the postion to win the six nations or grand slam, cant really complain it didnt happen this time.

5 point gap, its a game Wales easily could have won. If they had played averagely (instead of crap) in the second half I think they would have won. They should also have taken their chances better in the first half when not playing crap, but thats life. Over the last 10 years we have generally been good at taking advantage when we have put ourselves in the postion to win the six nations or grand slam, cant really complain it didnt happen this time.

Typically no recognition of the opposition playing well to nullify the threat?

No recognition of the fact the score was a lot closer than the game actually was in reality?

If Wales had won the grand slam it would have been a travesty. I thought Ireland were unlucky in Wales - certainly that was a closer game than Wales v England was.

If Wales had won the grand slam it would have been a travesty. I thought Ireland were unlucky in Wales - certainly that was a closer game than Wales v England was.

I certainly would be in agreement we didnt desrve to win a grand slam, we were lucky to beat Scotland. However overall theres very little difference between the 3 teams in terms of points difference, so neither would be undeserved winner of the 6 nations title. As a welshman I wouldnt have thought it a travesty at all if we had won another grand slam, but thats my bias!!

I wouldnt argue that Ireland could have easily beaten Wales. In fact if you read above, I state Ireland were the most deserved champions because I think in the matches between the 3 Irelands win against England was the most dominating. Interestingly I think (no way of proving either way) that if Wales hadnt been in the mix for the title, that England would have won the 6 nations, as I think Ireland were helped by having a target to chase. However as we all know England dont do 6 nation titles anymore:)

overall theres very little difference between the 3 teams in terms of points difference, so neither would be undeserved winner of the 6 nations title.

I don't think the first bit leads to the conclusion you've drawn. It's too simple. It's looking at one statistic and not taking into account any others.

I don't think the first bit leads to the conclusion you've drawn. It's too simple. It's looking at one statistic and not taking into account any others.

The 3 teams all beat Scotland, Ireland and Italy. They all played wach other twices and won and lost a game. Overall the points difference was pretty much the same. If you want to remove any element of doubt that your comfortably the most deserving winnners then go and win the grand slam. Despite what Lancaster says, its not that rare!

Of course it could be argued that the format of the compeition doesnt necesarily produce the most deserved winners, as it doesnt involve everyone playing each other home and away like most traditional leagues. The fixtures are therefore an important factor.

Really?

But I thought we didn't need to examine any other factors because the points difference was near enough the same?

I hadnt thought about the format, but the format is what it is. Its difficult to know what would have happened over 10 games. I think I argued in the past for extending and you against, i think I have re-evaluated and think from an entertainment and practical purpose this is the one that worked well.

I hadnt thought about the format, but the format is what it is. Its difficult to know what would have happened over 10 games. I think I argued in the past for extending and you against, i think I have re-evaluated and think from an entertainment and practical purpose this is the one that worked well.

It was fairly shit up until the last day. All very "keep it in the forwards, don't lose".

But when theres something there to be won we had three great games. Bonus points maybe?

It was fairly shit up until the last day. All very "keep it in the forwards, don't lose".

But when theres something there to be won we had three great games. Bonus points maybe?

The trouble with bonus points as someone mentioned on the radio is the grand slam winner could end up not winning the title. That wouldnt seem right to me.

The trouble with bonus points as someone mentioned on the radio is the grand slam winner could end up not winning the title. That wouldnt seem right to me.

Give a grand slam in its own right bonus points, so as to make it impossible to lose a championship to bonus points in the case of a slam.

eg if there is only 1 scoring bonus point on offer in each game then make the GS bonus points 4. It would be impossible for someone to get a GS and lose a championship then