Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

4 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Queue to get into the Temple can get a bit ugly too.

Well, yes!

If I'm dead set on the Temple I always leave a previous set a wee bit early. Glastonbury is too short to be queuing unless completely unavoidable.

In terms of Fatboy on Park, it's just not that big an area and he was down to headline Other in 2020. With GnR on the Pointy, this is going to be a massive Park headliner, I think.

I mean, I'll be nowhere near, but still!

Ben

6 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

In terms of Fatboy on Park, it's just not that big an area and he was down to headline Other in 2020. 

I’m still amazed by how many people genuinely buy that he was actually due to headline Other in 2020, rather than being put into that slot because they had to rush out a lineup to a festival they knew they were going to cancel, and the original headliner had long since pulled out…

7 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

In terms of Fatboy on Park, it's just not that big an area and he was down to headline Other in 2020. With GnR on the Pointy, this is going to be a massive Park headliner, I think.

It might not be that big an area - but it's still significantly larger than either Sonic or The Glade, where he's played announced headline sets at the past 3 festivals without it being an issue.

The last time he was on a comparable sized stage was in 2016 when he played JP - and he definitely did draw a strong crowd there, but that was as a sub-headliner with the biggest competition being Tame Impala who were boring the arse off anyone who went near the Pyramid. Even if this years Saturday headliners are seen as weak, I think by any standard they're still stronger competition than the various 2016 subs.

11 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I’m still amazed by how many people genuinely buy that he was actually due to headline Other in 2020, rather than being put into that slot because they had to rush out a lineup to a festival they knew they were going to cancel, and the original headliner had long since pulled out…

Hes certainly big enough to do it - and he was in that slot. Clearly they didn't want to get someone else in

Not sure what your point is

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Hes certainly big enough to do it - and he was in that slot. Clearly they didn't want to get someone else in

Not sure what your point is

I don’t think he is big enough to headline Other, hasn’t been for a decade, and the fact he wasn’t there last year and won’t be this year confirms to me that he was never going to be in 2020.  We have no idea if he was genuinely in that slot or not. We never will - but nothing about it makes sense.  That’s what my point is.

Edited by GrumpyRaver

8 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I don’t think he is big enough to headline Other, hasn’t been for a decade, and the fact he wasn’t there last year and won’t be this year confirms to me that he was never going to be in 2020.  We have no idea if he was genuinely in that slot or not. We never will - but nothing about it makes sense.  That’s what my point is.

He's headlining Wilderness alongside Chems and Christine - both of whom headlined Other in 2019.

Friend of the festival, big arena tour and kind of act that hits well with the glasto audience. Certainly bigger than Christine thats for sure - although that was a bump up i guess (wasn't it?)

3 hours ago, gfa said:

He's headlining Wilderness alongside Chems and Christine - both of whom headlined Other in 2019.

Friend of the festival, big arena tour and kind of act that hits well with the glasto audience. Certainly bigger than Christine thats for sure - although that was a bump up i guess (wasn't it?)

Christine should never have headlined Other, and Chems headline anywhere that pays them what they want. And his tour isn’t remotely a big arena tour… it’s mainly O2 Academies.

The fact he’s a friend of the festival is the exact reason why I think he was never actually lined up to headline Other in 2020. 

Edited by GrumpyRaver

10 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Christine should never have headlined Other, and Chems headline anywhere that pays them what they want. And his tour isn’t remotely a big arena tour… it’s mainly O2 Academies.

The fact he’s a friend of the festival is the exact reason why I think he was never actually lined up to headline Other in 2020. 

Who was he supposedly up against on Pyramid again?

I think if he headlined Other this year on Saturday night against GNR, he would get a very decently sized crowd. 

10 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

This one before

Fatboy Slim 2021 UK Tour Special Guest Announce - Fatboy Slim

47 minutes ago, gordong said:

Who was he supposedly up against on Pyramid again?

I think if he headlined Other this year on Saturday night against GNR, he would get a very decently sized crowd. 

He would have been up against Kendrick.

And if that’s the case, why isn’t he headlining Other this year then?

17 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Comparing that to this year’s tour underlined his flagging status. I could have probably have sold out an arena tour in 2021… 😂

Think we need to agree to disagree here - imo its hardly ridiculous and given his history with the festival while a bit questionable is definitely not the strangest possible booking.

I don't see how he's shrunk - he did some massive shows last year and has some big ones planned this year, theres nothing to suggest he's actually shrunk imo (surprised he did such a big tour to begin with but it did sell well).

Shrink in tour maybe explainable by his lack of new music - that arena tour was pent up covid demand i guess?

on shit sales he could defo outsell Megan Thee Stallion's 1 non sold out brixton night too lol - theres often a rather questionable other headliner

Just about recovered from the weekend, and back home now after a great few days in London for the final 2 days of Printworks, thought I’d leave a little review of my time there and some highlights.

Sunday:

Andy C (Very Special Guest) - After lots of speculation, the rumours turned out to be true, with one of the true goats and pioneers of the DNB scene being the very special guest for the Sunday, Andy delivered a very high-energy set, filled with back to back bangers, supported by one of the best MC’s in the game, Tonn Piper. Was a really class start to the day, and set the tone for the rest of what was to come.

Kings of the Rollers - As solo DJs I don’t really rate KOTR, but as a collective group, they really do just hit differently, Serum especially knows how to work a crowd and have them eat out of the palm of his hand, whilst blending a good mix of remixes, rollers and more ‘odd’ tunes which you wouldn’t really expect but with a nice jump-up touch. A personal highlight of the set for me though was them bringing out the legend that is Katy B to help sing on her new track (with them) ‘Paradise’ and then the absolute dance classic ‘Katy on a Mission’ with a nice new KOTR remix at the end.

Lens - My second favourite set of the Sunday for sure, Lens is always someone I get excited about when I see her on any lineup for a festival or an event, always delivers a top tier set, and isn’t afraid to mix it up each time and make the set sound fresh and new. I also think she is great at mixing and blending during her sets, which always makes her sets seem seamless and easy to listen to. Was a really great, energetic, fast-paced set, the time went so fast!

Sub Focus b2b Dimension - Sunday’s headliners were none other than dancefloor dnb titans, Sub Focus and Dimension - with SF recently doing a huge show at Wembley Arena, and Dimension also heading there later this year in October. For the full 90 minutes they were on, there wasn’t a wasted moment, between them both they have so many bangers, crowd favourites and sing-a-long tunes you can’t help but have a really fun time dancing to. Certainly my favourite set of the day, particularly enjoyed hearing ‘Vibration’ and classic ‘Siren’ live, although there were definitely other parts of the show I enjoyed equally as much, those parts just stood out in particular. Don’t think there was a single moment where I stood still and not moving, never knew 90 minutes to go so fast!

Overall, Sunday was a really nice wave goodbye to Drum & Bass events at Printworks (as we know it), I think the lineup was really well curated and scheduled, even with it looking slightly odd and weirdly timed on paper, but it did allow us to get a few breaks/outside breathers when we needed to. Had an enjoyable day, and a well-deserved shower afterwards, never felt it as hot in those Press Halls beforehand, with MC ID (during Sub Focus & Dimension) reporting the indoor temperature was 29º - no clue if that’s true or not, but it certainly felt it!

Monday:

TSHA - First time for me properly seeing TSHA, and she absolutely smashed it, really enjoyable set, a great choice of tracks, and had the majority of the crowd moving, will be keeping my eye out for further dates she does, as I’d love to see her again. Definitely helped warm up the crowd too, and looking forward to seeing what she does next with her sets, as it really sounded fresh and not like what any other house DJ is doing.

HAAi - Never really misses at all, and Printworks closing was no exception to that. Absolutely stellar set, and one of my favourites of the day. Again, another fab choice of tracks, different vibes and BPM’s but all mixed and blended so well, it seemed like a massive hour-long track and had me dancing all the way through. Ever so slightly jealous I wasn’t at the secret after party to see her part of the b4b!! 

Effy - Yet another set that was just on point, this time, down in the Inkwells, was packed out in there, and a nice range of different genres and BPMs, the nice touch of ‘Levels’ (Avicii) was a great crowd moment too and got everyone dancing and singing. Probably the most fun set of the day had a class time!

Folamour - I really love him, don’t have loads to say, to be honest, amazing vibes, top-tier party atmosphere, only thing… RELEASE THOSE IDs!!! A good handful of new unreleased IDs scattered throughout the set, gonna need those out before summer for sure. 

BICEP (Very Special Guest - DJ Set) - Possibly the worst kept secret ever… But nevertheless, wow. What a closer, and what a special guest. For me, I really don’t think it could have closed on a better note, a really solid set, that was pretty unconventional whilst still including the euphoric heavy hitters like ‘Apricots’, ‘Water’ and of course the absolute classic, ‘Glue’. Not ashamed to admit I found myself tearing up at multiple points during their set, but it really left me leaving Printworks on such a high note, and optimistic for what is to come in 2.0… Best set of the day!

Headed in just after doors on the Monday, due to us buying resale tickets via Tixel and not wanting to risk the very small chance of us being scammed, luckily we were sound and got straight in, did catch some of Trudy Knight and SUCHI since we were in so early, both sounded quite good, but we mainly sat outside in the sun to get a few pints down us before the names we wanted to see began. Don’t have much to say about Peggy Gou so thought I would just put it in this part; I usually quite like Peggy even though her sets are quite commercial, didn’t dislike the set, but neither would I rave about it, did find it slightly disappointing, despite some of the really nice crowd moments and sing-a-longs, just felt that certain parts dragged a bit and the pacing was all over the place; was still a fun set, and got the crowd all ready for BICEP. Possibly the most unexpected moment of the evening was the nice announcement for ‘Printworks 2.0’ coming in 2026, extremely excited to say the least, whilst staying optimistically cautious as I think it seems almost definite we’ll be seeing some major changes to the venue, but as long as it is returning in some shape or form, I think I’ll be happy, as well as all the other regulars and yet to come newbies at one of the best venues in the world! 

A final point I wanted to say was just how good the crowd and sound were for both events, yes, people were filming, but it really didn’t subtract from the atmosphere at all, as most people were still dancing anyways, and let's be honest, who isn’t going to film a few clips at the last Printworks (as we know it). The sound quality was fab and actually blasting for each of the events I did, hopefully, they can keep it like that for 2026, as I think it made a massive difference and regulars we were talking to in the crowd seemed to think the same too. 

Weekend in general was really really great, and a nice wave goodbye to one of my happy places. Hope everyone else who went had a sick time, added a couple of pics below, and fingers crossed we see the sets recorded and uploaded ASAP, cannot wait to relive the weekend again.

IMG_3211.thumb.jpeg.9e8e3da2a0f3de31b0711978ad078ae1.jpeg

IMG_3219.thumb.jpeg.5863a524b1ecea7d2d40eb5fa151dec3.jpegIMG_3220.thumb.jpeg.7c3b4f529eb2a10597227354848c7b22.jpegIMG_3152.thumb.jpeg.d39616c283cfd474433d1ca9f2676114.jpegIMG_3325.thumb.jpeg.d085954498210145fd3fa23e5bebb353.jpegIMG_3399.thumb.JPG.0219da7a2df2d09fa52dd6ad93ddd1f8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, stanh said:

Just about recovered from the weekend, and back home now after a great few days in London for the final 2 days of Printworks, thought I’d leave a little review of my time there and some highlights.

Sunday:

Andy C (Very Special Guest) - After lots of speculation, the rumours turned out to be true, with one of the true goats and pioneers of the DNB scene being the very special guest for the Sunday, Andy delivered a very high-energy set, filled with back to back bangers, supported by one of the best MC’s in the game, Tonn Piper. Was a really class start to the day, and set the tone for the rest of what was to come.

Kings of the Rollers - As solo DJs I don’t really rate KOTR, but as a collective group, they really do just hit differently, Serum especially knows how to work a crowd and have them eat out of the palm of his hand, whilst blending a good mix of remixes, rollers and more ‘odd’ tunes which you wouldn’t really expect but with a nice jump-up touch. A personal highlight of the set for me though was them bringing out the legend that is Katy B to help sing on her new track (with them) ‘Paradise’ and then the absolute dance classic ‘Katy on a Mission’ with a nice new KOTR remix at the end.

Lens - My second favourite set of the Sunday for sure, Lens is always someone I get excited about when I see her on any lineup for a festival or an event, always delivers a top tier set, and isn’t afraid to mix it up each time and make the set sound fresh and new. I also think she is great at mixing and blending during her sets, which always makes her sets seem seamless and easy to listen to. Was a really great, energetic, fast-paced set, the time went so fast!

Sub Focus b2b Dimension - Sunday’s headliners were none other than dancefloor dnb titans, Sub Focus and Dimension - with SF recently doing a huge show at Wembley Arena, and Dimension also heading there later this year in October. For the full 90 minutes they were on, there wasn’t a wasted moment, between them both they have so many bangers, crowd favourites and sing-a-long tunes you can’t help but have a really fun time dancing to. Certainly my favourite set of the day, particularly enjoyed hearing ‘Vibration’ and classic ‘Siren’ live, although there were definitely other parts of the show I enjoyed equally as much, those parts just stood out in particular. Don’t think there was a single moment where I stood still and not moving, never knew 90 minutes to go so fast!

Overall, Sunday was a really nice wave goodbye to Drum & Bass events at Printworks (as we know it), I think the lineup was really well curated and scheduled, even with it looking slightly odd and weirdly timed on paper, but it did allow us to get a few breaks/outside breathers when we needed to. Had an enjoyable day, and a well-deserved shower afterwards, never felt it as hot in those Press Halls beforehand, with MC ID (during Sub Focus & Dimension) reporting the indoor temperature was 29º - no clue if that’s true or not, but it certainly felt it!

Monday:

TSHA - First time for me properly seeing TSHA, and she absolutely smashed it, really enjoyable set, a great choice of tracks, and had the majority of the crowd moving, will be keeping my eye out for further dates she does, as I’d love to see her again. Definitely helped warm up the crowd too, and looking forward to seeing what she does next with her sets, as it really sounded fresh and not like what any other house DJ is doing.

HAAi - Never really misses at all, and Printworks closing was no exception to that. Absolutely stellar set, and one of my favourites of the day. Again, another fab choice of tracks, different vibes and BPM’s but all mixed and blended so well, it seemed like a massive hour-long track and had me dancing all the way through. Ever so slightly jealous I wasn’t at the secret after party to see her part of the b4b!! 

Effy - Yet another set that was just on point, this time, down in the Inkwells, was packed out in there, and a nice range of different genres and BPMs, the nice touch of ‘Levels’ (Avicii) was a great crowd moment too and got everyone dancing and singing. Probably the most fun set of the day had a class time!

Folamour - I really love him, don’t have loads to say, to be honest, amazing vibes, top-tier party atmosphere, only thing… RELEASE THOSE IDs!!! A good handful of new unreleased IDs scattered throughout the set, gonna need those out before summer for sure. 

BICEP (Very Special Guest - DJ Set) - Possibly the worst kept secret ever… But nevertheless, wow. What a closer, and what a special guest. For me, I really don’t think it could have closed on a better note, a really solid set, that was pretty unconventional whilst still including the euphoric heavy hitters like ‘Apricots’, ‘Water’ and of course the absolute classic, ‘Glue’. Not ashamed to admit I found myself tearing up at multiple points during their set, but it really left me leaving Printworks on such a high note, and optimistic for what is to come in 2.0… Best set of the day!

Headed in just after doors on the Monday, due to us buying resale tickets via Tixel and not wanting to risk the very small chance of us being scammed, luckily we were sound and got straight in, did catch some of Trudy Knight and SUCHI since we were in so early, both sounded quite good, but we mainly sat outside in the sun to get a few pints down us before the names we wanted to see began. Don’t have much to say about Peggy Gou so thought I would just put it in this part; I usually quite like Peggy even though her sets are quite commercial, didn’t dislike the set, but neither would I rave about it, did find it slightly disappointing, despite some of the really nice crowd moments and sing-a-longs, just felt that certain parts dragged a bit and the pacing was all over the place; was still a fun set, and got the crowd all ready for BICEP. Possibly the most unexpected moment of the evening was the nice announcement for ‘Printworks 2.0’ coming in 2026, extremely excited to say the least, whilst staying optimistically cautious as I think it seems almost definite we’ll be seeing some major changes to the venue, but as long as it is returning in some shape or form, I think I’ll be happy, as well as all the other regulars and yet to come newbies at one of the best venues in the world! 

A final point I wanted to say was just how good the crowd and sound were for both events, yes, people were filming, but it really didn’t subtract from the atmosphere at all, as most people were still dancing anyways, and let's be honest, who isn’t going to film a few clips at the last Printworks (as we know it). The sound quality was fab and actually blasting for each of the events I did, hopefully, they can keep it like that for 2026, as I think it made a massive difference and regulars we were talking to in the crowd seemed to think the same too. 

Weekend in general was really really great, and a nice wave goodbye to one of my happy places. Hope everyone else who went had a sick time, added a couple of pics below, and fingers crossed we see the sets recorded and uploaded ASAP, cannot wait to relive the weekend again.

IMG_3211.thumb.jpeg.9e8e3da2a0f3de31b0711978ad078ae1.jpeg

IMG_3219.thumb.jpeg.5863a524b1ecea7d2d40eb5fa151dec3.jpegIMG_3220.thumb.jpeg.7c3b4f529eb2a10597227354848c7b22.jpegIMG_3152.thumb.jpeg.d39616c283cfd474433d1ca9f2676114.jpegIMG_3325.thumb.jpeg.d085954498210145fd3fa23e5bebb353.jpegIMG_3399.thumb.JPG.0219da7a2df2d09fa52dd6ad93ddd1f8.JPG

Class review and agree with all said on Monday. Strangely didn’t seem too busy. Sound was wayyy louder than any other PW gig I’ve done too. Ears are actually still a bit fucked - any ear plug recommendations greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, stanh said:

Just about recovered from the weekend, and back home now after a great few days in London for the final 2 days of Printworks, thought I’d leave a little review of my time

Class read mate, really enjoyed this. Totally agree on all your points. 

Interesting point about the sound. I was there on Saturday as my mate had a spare. Camelphat played Glue as their last song and it was by far the loudest I’ve ever heard the soundsystem. Not sure if that was something on their end with the mixer or the sound desk. My watch gave me a warning to say I was in a damagingly loud environment. I wonder if they just thought “fuck it” on Monday and cranked it the full time. 

Interesting article here about the future that doesn’t fill me with hope with a comparison to a shopping centre:

Simeon Aldred, a founder of Printworks who says he’s never missed a show, reveals to City A.M. he has ambitions to return Printworks to the building in 2026 if plans are approved by the council and the local community. “We can’t make any assumptions that because we’ve been doing this for six years we’re entitled to this,” says Aldred. “Both organisations [British Land and Broadwick Live who run Printworks] are committing to trying to keep the essence of the iconic press halls. Obviously there are lots of significant changes to the building but that essence of the press halls is what we’re trying to work through, but it is quite a detailed planning process.

The mock up image of the new project, pegged to open in 2026, looks like a shopping centre, so how does Aldred imagine a venue for dance music and expression, i.e. Printworks version 2.0, might fit with the vision? “Will you still be able to dance at Printworks? Yes,” he says. “Will you still be able to enjoy electronic music at Printworks? Yes. But might you also see ballet here, orchestras here, jazz performances here. But maybe in a new, modern electronic format.”

https://www.cityam.com/printworks-founder-well-be-back-if-london-wants-us/

Edited by gordong

Sound was definitely good

Bicep set was interesting - production was insane but the flow was a bit weird i think. they did have to shape it around the announcement etc. played glue then stopped for a few mins and shelled it for about 10 mins past curfew which was fun haha

everyone cheering the sound / visual guys at the end really was a great ending.

• Upvote 1