boom town fair

Guest monkey1989

So, this weekend I went to Secret Garden Party for the first time and it was absolutely out of this world. Would recommend it to anyone.

I Managed to get a lift from my mate there and back and on our drive home we decided to stop off at Boomtown to see how things were looking as I live less than 30mins drive away from the site. After jumping a few fences we managed to get to the top of the bowl looking down over downtown. The site looks very similar to last year with Barrio Loco and a few other main stages already set up.

It was lovely just to sit at the top of the bowl, hitting a few bongs and looking forward to Boomtown after the post-SGP depression.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All reorganised and excited again here and am now volunteering with the wristband checkers so might wave y'all in and out at some point - though looks like my shifts might mostly be pre-festival which is awesome

Will be in the crew camp but reckon we should at least have an efesters thursday drink meetup. Can someone who's been before suggest somewhere not too hecticly busy that we could use?

From terms and conditions.........

1. There is a limit to the amount of alcohol you can bring on site. You may bring up to 16 x 440ml cans of lager/cider/beer or a 3-litre box of wine or 7 litres of cider/lager/beer, in plastic bottles or cans. Spirits are not allowed. You may bring this with you on arrival to the festival only. There is no re-entry with alcohol. The license states that no glass is to be brought onto site for safety reasons. No opened bottles can be brought on to site - you can bring sealed plastic bottles of water or soft drinks. Any opened bottles will be confiscated on entry to the festival.

Anyone know how strict they are on this?!

I went and had a look at the site the other day and its looking pretty cool :) when I work out how to post pictures I will post one.

If you've got pics of the build, please don't post those - I know that boomtowmn likes to keep it all under wraps to create the maximum impact on attendees.

(pics of general stuff like marquees and fencing is fine. It's the 'special' stuff i'm meaning not to post).

All reorganised and excited again here and am now volunteering with the wristband checkers so might wave y'all in and out at some point - though looks like my shifts might mostly be pre-festival which is awesome

Will be in the crew camp but reckon we should at least have an efesters thursday drink meetup. Can someone who's been before suggest somewhere not too hecticly busy that we could use?

Bad Apple Bar. It was directly opposite the Lions Den last year.

Bad Apple Bar. It was directly opposite the Lions Den last year.

Musta been having a good time :D

Bad Apple Bar is definitely listed as Town Centre on the list I've got - 81 venues! wheeeeeeeeee

Thursday Bad Apple Bar at...? I'm biased, brief shift at gate 4 6.30-7.15pm but that's my own fault - when are others arriving?

I still haven't quite manned up and bought tickets. I'd love a holiday at the moment but a bit put off about going on my own - partially based on an experience recently where people were really unfriendly :(

You might want to keep an eye on the weather forecasts berfore you commit. Next Saturday is looking mightily scarey. :O

A word of warning from someone who has been at Matterley Bowl during a proper drenching ... do NOT camp in the camping areas in the dip around the bowl - it will turn into a river, a proper, flowing river!

You might want to keep an eye on the weather forecasts berfore you commit. Next Saturday is looking mightily scarey. :O

don't you start! it's not that bad on the weather charts

graphe4_1000_272_164___.gif

would rather something more certain but no wetter than glastonbury looked - i'm living in hope after dodging the bullet at guilfest

Come UEF! I don't know anyone going but I'm actually quite looking forwards to being able to go all scouting-party on it. 81 venues, 72 hours of festival might need some help to cover it all considering there's a few bits I do actually want to see for sure on the line-up too.

There's a few regulars from here I've seen post that they're going too hopefully they'll pop back in and we can all have a cider and catch up

Looks pretty good to me...http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633858

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/winchester/so23-9/august-weather/323585

The difference between soil at Glastonbury and Boomtown is that beneath the soil at Boomtown its chalk and will drain a way more easily,as at Glastonbury its clay but if there is a deluge its a bowl so could be disasterous.

Always camp on a hill.

Whose forecast and a week away though... We recognise this rollercoaster well, just not so many of us on it

It's Accuweather's. It's changed since yesterday, now with 1.5 inches of rain on Thursday night, so at least it's improving.

Anyway, bad weather looks a distinct possibility - so do take note of where I said to not camp.

As Thearg said the subsoil is chalk so it theory it drains well, but I've seen for myself the river that can form in the dip round the edge of the bowl.

Looking forwards to it whatever the weather. :)

http://metcheck.com/UK/7days.asp?day=1&zipcode=Winchester

Often found this website above to be the most reliable locally and it's certainly looking good right now. Will no doubt change before thursday though

I like this rain arriving before people thing, that's how Guilfest got away with plenty of rain.

I'll be on site weds and will joyously take that bullet - will instruct anyone entering to stay in their tent and not go churning it up for everyone lol