Dolly Parton MIming?

wbarenno

how different is Dolly miming (if she was) to say, Brian Wilson having a veritable choir backing him to the point of taking over when necessary?

His frailty is part of the whole schtick. The audience respects him and admires the dogged effort.

Dolly Parton was a clown show and made Shirley Bassey seem as credible as Tom Waits. Also, Parton has lied about it post-gig. I'm morto for her. That thing with the sax was farcical.

how different is Dolly miming (if she was) to say, Brian Wilson having a veritable choir backing him to the point of taking over when necessary?

brian wilson wrote some of the greatest songs of all time and has been ravaged by mental illness. Personally I'm prepared to forgive him for not hitting the high notes.

Edited by russycarps

Dolly Parton was a clown show and made Shirley Bassey seem as credible as Tom Waits. Also, Parton has lied about it post-gig. I'm morto for her. That thing with the sax was farcical.

I don't see why things can't simultaneously be ridiculous and credible. The thing with the sax was funny, but deliberately funny.

Given the paucity of options later on the Sunday we treated her as our headliner, got into the pit as soon as The 1975 finished and got the rum out - and proceeded to have an absolute blast along with everyone else who was there. One of the highlights of the weekend.

We went to the pit as well - made I smile with all the young folks trooping out with mostly 'older' folk trooping in.

Brilliant atmosphere in there, and no doubt on the whole hill.

She's 68. You can either have her singing live with no backing track and accept, like Macca now, that her voice is weak and it'll sound poor or appreciate it's the 'legends' slot and they will probably sing with assistance so that you get a great performance.

Don't recall the fuss over the Rolling Stones having a lot of assistance. Most of the guitar work was done by the backing band hidden in the shadows.

Really enjoyed Dolly, engaged with the crowd, pure showmanship, obviously sang completely live on some songs. I didn't go to see a great live performance from a brilliant country singer, I went to see a legendary but ageing country singer and experience a massive communal singalong.

• Upvote 1

I'm not talking about who's better, Brian wins every time with me.

Soon as the backing track kicked in on Jolene I was immediately taken out of the experience and the show never recovered.

If I wanted to go to see some quality miming I wouldve gone see "We Will Dub You" again - which was STUNNING btw.

I didn't go to see a great live performance from a brilliant country singer, I went to see a legendary but ageing country singer and experience a massive communal singalong.

Ye see thats perfectly fine with me. I wanted to hear her sing and play however.

U2 deffo have a "guy" under the stage layering most tracks with extra synths etc.

- - -

This aint the point tho. Dolly was caught out and should admit it. Her ruse has failed - the "my teeth came in contact with his shoulder" excuses are making her initial transgressions worse.

I didnt want to see or hear her (I think her music is pants) but I dropped my wife and kid over with a few friends and then could not get out of the place! :lol: Feckin rammed packed. Wanted to go for a bimble on my toblerone but we could not actually move freely until Justin Timberlake came on! (hes let himself go BTW!)

Mick Taylor aside, the Stones didn't have any other guitar players.

Having spent that gig right at the front, I can assure you that there were at least 2 other guitarists. You don't see them on the tv footage very well as they were dressed in black and right at the back in the shadows but they were there.

Having spent that gig right at the front, I can assure you that there were at least 2 other guitarists. You don't see them on the tv footage very well as they were dressed in black and right at the back in the shadows but they were there.

Them's are guitar techs - one would have been Pierre de Beauport, Keith's guy.

In previous tours they did have Blondie Chaplin - ex of the Beach Boys, etc - playing onstage at the back and in the shadows on some tracks, but he seems to have been given his marching orders this time out.

Them's are guitar techs - one would have been Pierre de Beauport, Keith's guy.

In previous tours they did have Blondie Chaplin - ex of the Beach Boys, etc - playing onstage at the back and in the shadows on some tracks, but he seems to have been given his marching orders this time out.

Fair enough :-)

Dolly's 68, can't she be forgiven for not hitting the high notes?

With one act you get the songwriter performing their songs with some help, but with the other.... oh wait...

Brian Wilson didn't mime at glastonbury, dolly did. That's the difference really.

Also is someone in this thread suggesting macca mimes??

Its not only that.

She came out and lied about it as well. I think for me that would be the biggest issue, but I personally don't give flying toss what Parton does or does not do.

I still don't think she did lie though. There were some songs (most IMO) where she was 100% singing live. She was ad-libbing over the music and/or singing acapella ffs... how can that be mimed?

I still don't think she did lie though. There were some songs (most IMO) where she was 100% singing live. She was ad-libbing over the music and/or singing acapella ffs... how can that be mimed?

She did lie. She may not have mimed/lip synced the whole gig but she is trying to make people believe what they heard was a 100% live performance which for the most part it was not.