Dolly Parton MIming?

wbarenno

We tried to give her the benefit of the doubt - that her face was so frozen by Botox that it made it look like she was miming! However, there is no doubt that she seemed more out of breath talking between the songs than she did whilst 'singing'. More than suspicious.

Still - a hugely enjoyable 'performance'. She's 68. The truth is that a that age, it is likely to go one of 2 ways, you mime it or you struggle. Kenny Roger's breathing was terrible last year, so was Debbie Harry's this year. So you can be sold short by miming or by an under par performance. I think artists like this have earned the right to choose which way they go.

I watched it on TV and I am normally very sensitive to miming, but I did not notice anything suspicious except that she was out of breath between songs and never seemed to pause before starting the next song. But why was she out of breath anyway after a song if she was miming.

I would go her the benefit of any doubt and say she was not miming. Sometimes on digital Tvs the sound can get out of sync which then looks like miming.

From the start it felt like she was using a backing track (sounds better than saying she mimed)

More obvious on certain numbers and she didn't for everything (e.g. her Glastonbury mud song)

I was a little disappointed but still thought it was very enjoyable, especially her anecdotes between songs.

She certainly pulled in a crowd - comparable to the Stones last year.

It was a massive crowd, swollen by day ticket holders, but it was nowhere near as big as The Stones. People weren't standing amongst the tents or as tightly packed in.

I was in pretty much the same spot as I was for the Stones last year, right at the back of the field across the path in the overspill area (that I was actually surprised to still see there, given I thought it was for the additional crowd for the Stones). Back there it was pretty much as busy as it had been for the Stones, but I'd agree that the crowd was less dense given it was a Sunday crowd full of people sitting down.

Hate to burst the bubble but she was definitely miming

My sound engineer son doesn't think she was miming (we were stood by the horseshoe). There was a problem early in the set with the delay stacks, thats why she switched to a hand mike. People at the back couldn't hear. His explanation in crayon for idiots like me: Light travels much faster than sound and so the timing of the delay to the video is crucial. The video will be seen before the sound gets to the watcher if they are any significiant distance away from the source. If there is more than one sound source (second speaker stacks) then both sound and video needs different delays to ensure that everyone hears the same thing at the same time and it matches what their eyes see.

A lot of the stages had a video sync problem, lips out of time with sound ether fast or slow. Can't comment on BBC coverage, it was universally poor from what I have seen. They always manage to murder the sound.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I will bow to your obvious experience and will recommend that the BBC film from your sofa next year for the truly accurate view.

there was deffo something odd going on, dunno if she was using live auto-tune or singing to a backing track..but the singing did not sound live unlike the other singers on stage with her at the same time

I was in the front pit for Dolly but too far back to properly see. I'll be honest though, the thought did cross my mind, but only for the first couple of songs. The vocal mix was weird at the start, not quite loud enough and all sounding a bit processed. It definitely improved and it was clear soon enough that if the start was mimed, it was only the start.

the odd thing for tv watchers is that the BBC engineers have to do a very quick and dirty mix as the show happens. The sound on air is different from live, that is why coverage is universally crap and not reflective of the sound in the field. The show presets are all done by soundcheck for the live desk producing a predicatable result for the people stood in the arena. That is why the sound at a lot of stages after the power pull was a bit iffy, the presets were lost on a lot of the desks and the engineers had to wing it a touch. Old skool engineers with the tape markings by faders are rare and the desks now rely on a different logic set.

She may have had an autotune in play but a lot of artists do, I raise you Lilly Allen and Beyonce.

I was up the front and thought there might have been some miming going on - but I kind of expected that. After all, it's a 'show', rather than a gig or whatever.

Thought it was very good and entertaining, but Blondie on Friday topped it for me - surprised at the voice strength there.

I saw her in Leeds the week before the festival and realised she was miming, I was going to post on here but didn't want to spoil it for those who were looking forward to it, (once I suspected it I spent the whole gig trying to catch her out). She's 68 and clearly gets out of breath quite quickly. Having paid a lot of money to see her I initially felt cheated but she puts on a good show and if she physically can't sing live for a whole show I don't suppose there's much alternative other than not performing.