Is there a reason why Glasto never has a fun fair?

Guest melsypelsy

Im not being trying to be greedy as I know Glasto has just about everything you could ever want to fill your days with (more than any other festi in the world) but I was just wondering... why no funfair, ever??? Iv been to a few other festies with rides and they can be soooo much fun ;-))))))))) (although ended up very expensive @ Global 1 year)

Anyone know? :)

@melsyo

There have been bits and pieces over the years but I can't see there's ever been a need for a full blown funfair, you can get that pretty much anywhere in the country several times a year.

I've got a vague memory of there being some dodgems next to the Cabaret Tent for a while and possibly something else (was there a ferris wheel?) - it's kinda blurred at this stage. There's a couple of helter skelters on site, the Wall of Death has been a regular at major fairs up and down the country.

The Unfair Ground and before it Trash City and the Midnight Carnival have had their own slant on some funfair style attractions - that's what works best at Glastonbury.

Honestly, most festivals have that kinda stuff to distract from the fact that there's nothing to do if you don't like the band on any of the 5 stages they've got - and make a bit of cash off it at the same time. None of that applies at Glastonbury where you've got an uncountable amount of things going on, much of it not music related and generally for free.

I'm kinda glad they don't - as said above it's very much something other places add on to make up for not having anything much going on

That is certainly not a problem at glastonbury

beyond that it just makes for more crappy queuing - not really something that you should do there IMHO. Too much going on to ever stand in line waiting unless you absolutely have to

I think other festivals put a fun fair in as an added extra..something else to do than watching bands, sitting on the grass or buying a burger, Glastonbury just doesn't need it in my opinion, there's already so much more to do.

There's footage on the Julian Temple documentary of some guy on some kind of fairground ride, so it does seem there have been a few around at times. But I can't see them having much appeal at Glasto, where your options are already incredibly diverse.

I've got a vague memory of there being some dodgems next to the Cabaret Tent for a while and possibly something else (was there a ferris wheel?) - it's kinda blurred at this stage. There's a couple of helter skelters on site, the Wall of Death has been a regular at major fairs up and down the country.

It just doesn't need it. Plus funfairs usually charge for rides, and I cannot think of any venues /attractions at the festival that you need to pay extra for ... Kind of goes against the ethos of the festival.

And defo does not need a free funfair ... A big wheel may be a nice idea ... You can keep the rest !