Things that Glasto could adopt from Download

Guest willutalk

1) I don't actuallly like the massive Portait screens, seems annoying and is usually the wrong aspect ration for anything. (Whole band shots always look weird on them.

2)As started with many reasons in this thread already. Hell No! Glastonbury really seem to take catering adequately for the amount of punters using the bars seriously, rarely is there much of a queue at most bars I've ever used there so doesn't really need fixing especialyl with a token system.

I just don't understand why people would be for a token, basicalyl making you queue up twice.

At Field Day they had an okish system for the Meantime Lager tank bar, where you would queue in one queue, pay at the til first who then give you a receipt and you then claim your lager from the servers who take the receipt , who are positioned next to the til. But like I said no need to change something if its not broke and as Neil said the most important aspect is having the right number of staff to actually serve punters.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If festivals let punters take their own booze like glastonbury, and had plenty of different bars (like glastonbury), good beer and cider (like glastonbury), doesn't rely on one corporate brewery (although wychwood festival does that they still have other bars) then they will find that they won't need a token system. Even when bars are busy at glastonbury, I seldom have a big wait, and there is plenty of staff.

2012 IOW Festival run out of real beer every day by tea time in the one bar that served it (disgraceful)

Edited by drewsstrat

the Dutch do tokens (munten) at many events. And they are seen as a proper currency which you can easily get your money back on unused tokens.

At events like Lowlands and Crossing Border I find it works out really well. Bar and food queues move much much quicker. Its the same for gigs at the Heineken Music Hall. Works very well

However at Glastonbury I have never experienced queues bad enough to necessitate it and token systems at any UK festival I have been to have been an absolute rip-off. Tokens should never be use or lose

IOW festival has tokens, and Its been a case of either having ridiculous queues to buy the tokens plus ridiculous queues at the bar, or just ridiculous queues at the bar. Like Neil has said, if they dont staff the bars properly, then it will run shite regardless.

The only time the token system was beneficial was when some lad who was working behind the bar was pocketing the tokens and then came selling them around the campsites for £2 a token. Shame it was on the Sunday when he came round or I would have bought loads

Re: tokens. I work in the main WBC bars, where the hold up isn't usually the money transaction, because we just use a big bucket of cash, so there's no messing around ringing things up in tills etc. If the bars are running slow, the reason will usually be that one of the products is playing up, meaning that all the servers are in a big queue waiting for (e.g.) cider rather than serving the punters.

Here's an alternative suggestion, which would make life SO much more pleasant for you and the bar-staff: a (post-office style) queueing system, with a bouncer at the head of the queue checking ID. It's been done at a few events, and the punters LOVED it - because there was never any hassle with ignorant tossers pushing in front of you. Once you've joined the queue, there's no stress - you're more likely to chat to those around you because you're not competing with them to get the server's attention first. From our point of view, it was brilliant, as everyone that came to the bar was a happy bunny and amazed that the queue had moved so quickly.

The ' post-office style queueing system ' was first tried out by the WBC at Hyde park in 2006 { where back to back events were spread out over two weeks } but it was not in operation every day due to local Trading Standards ' day to day ' interpretation of the guidelines { in relation to ID being checked at point of sale } so we had this crazy situation where Security could check ID on one day but then was not allowed to do it the next and then on the next day it was back in operation - must have confused a lot of people .

But overall ' when it was allowed to run ' it did make it more quick for the Customers and there was no jokers trying to push in { they get barred if I spot them }

But GFL has rejected that system as it was put to them in previous years ' due to lack of space '

its a shame as it does work well .

its a win win for everyone but it does require space and a more common sense approach by local Trading Standards.

I was working every day at that first trial and I was at first against it but I soon changed my mind and you are correct that ' everyone loved it '

image - Hyde Park 2006

hyde-park2.jpg

One thing Glasto shouldn't adopt from Download is the sort of prejudiced stupid ignorant thicko attitude of Bruce Dickinson./

http://www.nme.com/news/iron-maiden/77995

It's clear from what he's said he's never been.

But taking his cue, all metallers are smelly scummy w*nkers called Colin who work in IT, live with their mothers and dream of one day getting a girlfriend.

:P