First time glasto advice

lisaneedsbraces

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, not sure who CCCheese is and we're not aware they're part of the team...we have a Cheddar Police Station but that's problably the closest link we have to cheese!

CCCheese was a poster who said he was an officer at Glastonbury. Offering a similar type of 'service' as yourself.

CCCheese was a poster who said he was an officer at Glastonbury. Offering a similar type of 'service' as yourself.

Can't vouch for other accounts I'm afraid but this one is the 'official' one and administered by one of the police planning team for this year's event. Just trying to help offer some advice where people need it and hopefully have a little fun too :-)

The best toilets are the water aid ones at the bottom of the stone circle, there quality, make sure you make a donation to the guys keeping them clean for us all. Enjoy Glastonbury.

I agree but then I'm biased as I will be one of the team looking after them!

As I assume you're female also check out the She Pees, also run by WaterAid. This year they will be at the back of the Pyramid Stage, by the Park Stage and by Glasto-Latino.

On planning I would make out a detailed plan of what you want to see, put it somewhere safe and see how far wrong it was when you get home.

Edited by JohnEW

• 10 months later...

probably obvious to the more experienced glastonbury goer, but i ruined my first trip there in 2011 by overdoing alcohol wednesday and thursday! was that ill we went home early on sunday morning!!! never again! missed so much and couldn't get a ticket again till this year! lesson learned

probably obvious to the more experienced glastonbury goer, but i ruined my first trip there in 2011 by overdoing alcohol wednesday and thursday! was that ill we went home early on sunday morning!!! never again! missed so much and couldn't get a ticket again till this year! lesson learned

As a more experienced festival goer/drinker/err, *insert other option here* I find overindulging on Wednesday and Thursday is how I get my body clock to stop me waking up before 6am so I can still be up at 3am by Friday!

Last year I was asleep in a random field by about 7pm Weds (6 hours after tent went up), but by Friday my sleep pattern was more like a younger lightweight...

I did, brilliantly, have to be woken by camp mates at 10am on Sunday. I think that's the only time I've slept past 8.30 in a decade :)

That could just be me though...

Laminate your clash finder :)

Good tip!

-Take plenty of wet wipes

-Take a decent sleeping bag, it gets pretty cold at night

-Have a look at the Glastonbury food thread on here, there's some amazing food to be found

-Spend a lot of time exploring, there's SO much cool random stuff to be seen

Edited by Ash84

Maybe it's because i'm young but at pretty much every festival i've been too i've overdone it on the first night - but just soldiered on for the whole of the festival.

I have a habit of getting ridiculously fucked and by the time I get home I can't function properly for at least three days.

My general piece of festival advice is: don't try to stay clean and comfortable. Take some jeans/ shorts you don't mind getting ruined, wear wellies continuously regardless of weather, and similar with your top half. If it rains don't feel like you have to go hide under something or moan... just take it and enjoy the experience.

I'd also reiterate what many other people have said about over-planning. At most other festivals my friends have had very specific timing plans for which stages they want to be at when. Glasto is too big to being doing that at and, more importantly, you won't enjoy the spontaneity and aweseomeness of its individuality.

Choose some bands you just CAN'T miss then just go with the flow ;)

Don't underestimate how far it is from one stage to another. The scale of the site is deceiving. If an act is finishing on John Peel and you then want to catch the next act in Acoustic tent, forget it. You might catch the last 10 minutes. At peak change times, getting between Other Stage and Pyramid is a very slow moving heaving mass of smelly humanity. Just chill and go with the flow.

Be open-minded and give new things a try.

Whether its different acts, different music styles, different food. The diversity is amazing. From 'Foot Reading' in the Healing fields, to circus acts and poetry sessions. Glastonbury is so much more than just great headline acts.

Embrace it and your Glasto experience will be so much the richer!

If you do find yourself in a very slow moving/stationary queue/thread of people trying to get somewhere, don't panic because there is probably absolutely nothing you can do. Coming out from the Stones could have sent me over the top was it not for Mr Reallife calming me down!

Don't worry too much about forgetting things. These days it's possible to buy almost anything at the shops.

If money is short, the most important thing to take is your own choice of spirits (decanted into plastic bottles)