Metallica 2014

JamesT977

Metallica are far from stupid. They aren't going to come on and bash out a bunch of their heaviest material as a kind of F**K You to all who turned up. Off the top of my head, they could churn out: Wherever I may Roam (not really any heavier than RATM who many would love to see on the bill), Fuel (basically a blues rock song, no different to what The Black Keys will play on Sunday), Until it Sleeps (pretty much a Pop song), the ballads (One, Fade to Black, Sanitarium, Nothing else Matters...all easy entry points for "non-metal" fans), Orion (a masterpiece), Master of Puppets (which went down rather well when Pendulum used it as an intro, rather than being greeted with the terrified faces Dom Lawson suggested) and Enter Sandman (which most in the crowd will have heard at some point). That's half a set right there without much in the way of trash metal in sight (well, maybe MOP a bit)...plus, given Glastonbury's demographic, there'll be many there who were teenagers when Metallica were in their prime (myself included), so probably dipped into their music at some point. I expect them to be fantastic...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metallica are far from stupid. They aren't going to come on and bash out a bunch of their heaviest material as a kind of F**K You to all who turned up. Off the top of my head, they could churn out: Wherever I may Roam (not really any heavier than RATM who many would love to see on the bill), Fuel (basically a blues rock song, no different to what The Black Keys will play on Sunday), Until it Sleeps (pretty much a Pop song), the ballads (One, Fade to Black, Sanitarium, Nothing else Matters...all easy entry points for "non-metal" fans), Orion (a masterpiece), Master of Puppets (which went down rather well when Pendulum used it as an intro, rather than being greeted with the terrified faces Dom Lawson suggested) and Enter Sandman (which most in the crowd will have heard at some point). That's half a set right there without much in the way of trash metal in sight (well, maybe MOP a bit)...plus, given Glastonbury's demographic, there'll be many there who were teenagers when Metallica were in their prime (myself included), so probably dipped into their music at some point. I expect them to be fantastic...

Wouldn't object to that making an appearance in the setlist. I don't have too much beef with Load as an album and Until It Sleeps is one of the best/most accessible songs on it.

they haven't played Until It Sleeps in absolute years (not since the Load tour i don't think) so i doubt it'll get an outing at Glastonbury. they know they'll need to win the crowd over a bit but that doesn't mean pussying out and playing a bunch of Metallica-lite songs

Or just walk away from it and let them get on with it.

If me and 20 or 30 other people decide to do that, as often happens at Metal gigs (and it is a Metal gig; it's just at Glastonbury, as said), you'll either be the one of the several thousand on the outside shaking their heads and folding their arms not really knowing how to react other than with contempt for the hoodlums running amok/enjoying themselves, letting us get on with it because we aren't causing any harm to anybody else - just each other - or you'll be getting involved. If you DO decide to get involved, understand that it's good natured fun when somebody decides to barge into you and not an excuse for you to punch them in the face.

If a Metal fan's way of appreciating the music they listen to, is to do that, don't be a c**t to them because 99.9% of the time, they aren't being c**ts to you, and if they are, they aren't Metal fans. Granted, it is a pop music festival, but Metallica headlining makes it 'Metal Night' on Saturday on the Pyramid Stage, so either dress up for the occasion and understand that rules are subject to change, or don't. Either way, don't be condescending to people who want to show how much they enjoy the music in the manner they see fit. If that manner so happens to be a mosh pit, either move away and watch with a smile on your face or get involved and don't be a c**t.

Okay few points here.

- This ain't a "metal takeover" whatever way youre spinning it. As Ive said, I saw Metallica nearly 20 years ago, I'm a fan... but I understand the convention and have respect for my fellow festival goers.

- There is a firm line at Glastonbury where "showing how much you love the music" rapidly turns into "showing what a waste of carbon and water you are". Get into the music FFS - no arguement from me - but don't get into anyone elses space and not expect to be called on it.

- This is our community - not yours. Glastonbury culture - not metal culture. Don't like it? Get fucked back to Download.

I appreciate the enthusiasm youre greeting this announcement chief. Youre arguing your position in a decent enough way. I get where youre coming from. But its wrong. Selfishness ain't the Glasters way. Don't be "that guy", remember.

Proviso - I won't be mad enough to be anywhere near the front where this kind of craic is likely to kick off in numbers in the first place.

they haven't played Until It Sleeps in absolute years (not since the Load tour i don't think) so i doubt it'll get an outing at Glastonbury. they know they'll need to win the crowd over a bit but that doesn't mean pussying out and playing a bunch of Metallica-lite songs

They played it in 2008 - which is still absolute years I guess. But not quite 1996.

And we're not talking about an ENTIRE Metallica-lite set - everyone knows the vast majority will be coming from the first 5 albums.

Wouldn't object to that making an appearance in the setlist. I don't have too much beef with Load as an album and Until It Sleeps is one of the best/most accessible songs on it.

Totally agree. Load's great. Thing is, it's not thrash. In fact it's barely metal which is why it gets slated a lot. But for people who don't give a shit that Metallica didn't release another Master of Puppets, it's pretty good. It was certainly an entry point for me when I was 17.

Load and ReLoad are both pretty good. just incredibly overlong. cut about twenty minutes / three or four songs off each album and they'd be much better

Didn't they have to cut out an entire section of the Outlaw Torn because it meant Load didn't fit on a CD?

To be fair to Metallica, if they were intelligent enough, they'd just do the Black Album with a few extras. It's what brought them into the mainstream and yet still kept them (relatively) in touch with their core audience so you had maybe a few 'Thrash-lite' songs on there like 'Struggle Within' mixed with the likes of 'Nothing Else Matters' and 'Enter Sandman'. Good variety of Metal and general rock on that album.

As for songs off 'Load' - well, actually, I could see them working at Glastonbury purely because if people don't want to listen to Metallica as a Metal band, they can just listen to Load if it sits well with their sensibilities. Personally, I'd prefer a setlist made entirely of Kill 'Em All, 'Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets and maybe 3 or 4 songs off of And Justice For All.

It'll be a difficult one for them because they know they'll be playing for an audience that, for the most part, wouldn't otherwise listen to them. Might help for them to ask for fan input on it, actually.

yeah like a minute at the end of the song had to be cut. this was back in the 90's when bands somehow thought the longer the album the better

It's called 'Be Here Now syndrome'.

Talking about the crowd "getting lively" I was surprised at the atmosphere for QOTSA in 2011, probably a better crowd than the couple of times I'd seen them at Reading which is probably broadly speaking a crowd which you'd think would be more suitable.

It's called 'Be Here Now syndrome'.

their unanimous decision to cut their hair off was the most hilarious thing about Load-era Metallica. they clearly took their whole change from thrash/heavy metal to hard rock far too seriously, so much so that they felt their haircuts had to represent it

I dreamed last night that I was hanging out with the band before the gig. Lars turned into Boyle from Brooklyn 99 and tried to feed me loads of baguettes.

It was pissing it down for their set, there were only about 1000 people there for it, and they started by covering 'Staring At The Rude Bois'.

...as you were.

To be fair to Metallica, if they were intelligent enough, they'd just do the Black Album with a few extras. It's what brought them into the mainstream and yet still kept them (relatively) in touch with their core audience so you had maybe a few 'Thrash-lite' songs on there like 'Struggle Within' mixed with the likes of 'Nothing Else Matters' and 'Enter Sandman'. Good variety of Metal and general rock on that album.

As for songs off 'Load' - well, actually, I could see them working at Glastonbury purely because if people don't want to listen to Metallica as a Metal band, they can just listen to Load if it sits well with their sensibilities. Personally, I'd prefer a setlist made entirely of Kill 'Em All, 'Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets and maybe 3 or 4 songs off of And Justice For All.

It'll be a difficult one for them because they know they'll be playing for an audience that, for the most part, wouldn't otherwise listen to them. Might help for them to ask for fan input on it, actually.

i like the Black Album, but that'd be poor (especially since they already did Black Album full album shows a couple of years back). i suspect / hope we get a standard setlist from them. no more, no less. one or two 'surprise' or lesser played songs would be okay, but at the end of the day i (and i'm sure everybody else there) wants a standard Metallica show, not one tailored to the fact that there may be a couple of people not familiar with / into thrash metal